I hate Rugby League

16 hours ago, The 4 of Us said:

I don’t by the way!

If the “energy” coming from the top of the club is anything to go by, I suspect that Widnes are going to have an interesting year. 

I get what he says about getting abuse of fans etc, but to rant like that just comes across as unprofessional, same as Derek Beaumont when he has digs and spats with members of the public.

It's embarrassing for the sport.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, meast said:

I get what he says about getting abuse of fans etc, but to rant like that just comes across as unprofessional, same as Derek Beaumont when he has digs and spats with members of the public.

It's embarrassing for the sport.

He should do something nice for charity so some ignore the bad bits.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Certainly doing a good job so far, they should walk the league this year and to be honest I think the team they have this year would have avoided relegation in the Championship.

Agreed 💯%

I look forward to Sunday, hopefully a decent game. Whether Widnes can win is up to the players. 

It'll be interesting to hear any crowd dissent , if there is one, and if/when things go wrong.

Maybe cries of Coleman out, Hamilton out, sack the board, Betts in!😁

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

I was willing to give him a chance when he came in but it looks like everything Oldham fans were saying about him was correct.

I think the only positive thing which has happened was the profit sharing deal with the council over drinks and the fanzone being set up. But I understand these bring in a relative pittance.

In the negative column, despite promises the playing budget wouldn't be cut we've got a worse and no doubt cheaper squad than last year who look more likely to be relegated than make the play offs. 

Social media and marketing has gone from being one of the best in the division to one of the worst, no doubt due to budget cuts. Bluntly I think he's doing all the rudimentary/off brand graphics himself as well as penning all the social media posts. The writing style is way off the mark combined with spelling and grammatical errors. 

Sponsorship we now have a literal bailiffs as main sponsor, and we've moved to a less premium kit manufacturer with all that entails (all the merch is plain with iron on badges).

And as you can see the fanbase is being alienated by bizarre Linkedin posts. Not forgetting the misspelling of the town motto on the new shirt to no acknowledgement with the mistake continually replicated on social media graphics. Mistakes get made but it's gotten to the point where I can only assume that the lack of apology or correction is out of stubbornness. 

I've spoken to a lot of people who haven't renewed their season ticket this year, and the mood around the club is as low as I can remember. It wouldn't be fair to say this is all strictly down to him, as I think he was brought it to cut costs by a board that don't have the resources to maintain the club at the previous level, but at the very least it'd be good not to have to hear the guy moan about how unappreciated he in doing this. 

Would it be fair to say that these unprofessional 'rants' are all about him and demonstrate narcissistic characteristics? Just count how many references there are to 'Me' and 'I' rather than the club. Had 25 years of this behaviour and woefully managed decline. The systematic alienation of supporters, sponsors, staff, volunteers and the supporters trust. The minute he left our club, our recovery started. A quarter of a century lost. I would hate to see that happen to another great club.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Roughyed Rats said:

Would it be fair to say that these unprofessional 'rants' are all about him and demonstrate narcissistic characteristics? Just count how many references there are to 'Me' and 'I' rather than the club. Had 25 years of this behaviour and woefully managed decline. The systematic alienation of supporters, sponsors, staff, volunteers and the supporters trust. The minute he left our club, our recovery started. A quarter of a century lost. I would hate to see that happen to another great club.

Nailed it !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, M j M said:

What state were Oldham in when he took over?

They'd gone bust, and he was one of the people who restarted the club, IIRC.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roughyed Rats said:

A quarter of a century lost. I would hate to see that happen to another great club.

He's in his sixties and had a year off due to heart surgery, so I doubt he'll rack up 25 years at Widnes...

3 hours ago, Roughyed Rats said:

Not being wise after the event, but said pretty much the same when I heard he was being appointed. Wondered how long it would take him to become the centre of attention.

• Like 1

The club have released a poorly worded and confusing statement that has caused further anger.

Having read it a few times, I think the middle paragraph might be an acceptance of Hamilton's mistake in posting on Linkedin? It's hard to say, it's just all over the place. In any case there's people asking for refunds on season tickets etc. 

Amazingly that isn't the worst bit of communication in this whole debacle, they've attempted to post the same message on the front page of the website but have seemingly pinned a story from 2022 about fan behaviour at an away match instead, presumably whoever is administering the club website got confused by which "Club Statement" article they needed to promote. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

Quick update, checked back and they've replaced the article and what's more they've put it in bold so we know it's serious.

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.