Match Threads - To post or not to post, that is the question.

5 hours ago, Blotto said:

Perhaps John could ask users that he knows well enough from their posts over the years to help moderate the match threads(limited to their own Club) their particular Club?

Any volunteers? PM me.

11 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Dread tinged with excitement though  surely? 

A big increase in site traffic?

No, just dread.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, daz39 said:

Yes but just delete any references to slagging officials off straight away so they don't descend into a gang up.

Easier said than done. I'm not always around to monitor match threads 'live'. 

15 hours ago, tiffers said:

I'd agree with the above posters. The match threads are great when people are discussing the actual game.

Especially valued by us folk that aren't surrounded by RL folk and often watching on your own.

A short term ban of a few weeks /no nonsense approach seems fair but understand it must be an absolute nightmare to monitor some of the threads we saw last year. 

Yes, the threads are often very useful to me as I will normally be watching in the pub and there won't be sound on unless there's no footy on the other screens, so I don't always understand what the hell is going on. This can also happen when I watch live games, to be fair.

I can see why you wouldn't relish moderating them, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

I've posted the Hull FC v Hull KR match thread as an experiment.

Let's see how that one goes.

If this first one gets silly, let's see whether a few suspensions will persuade people to think before typing.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

If this first one gets silly, let's see whether a few suspensions will persuade people to think before typing.

First reply in the hull one has already ruined it.....

😁

I love how in the Politics and AOB forums we tend to lean to bleeding heart liberal but the same people on here (me included) are going straight to LIFE MUST MEAN LIFE BANS on here.

• Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Half Man half Biscuit were on the money. Although this was about Football referees, it all applies to RL with just the a few changes of name or technical term.

THE REFEREE’S ALPHABET

• The A is for my authority, which many players seem to question, thinking they’re somehow going to make me change my mind.
  • B is for babies which a lot of managers cry like after a decision has not gone their way.
  • C is for the continual criticism I receive from the touchline. Get back in your technical area!
  • D is for the dunderheads who seem to think we have a conspiracy against their particular team.
  • E is for the eerie silence that echoes around the ground after I've booked the home team's player and its obvious to everyone that he deserved it.
  • F is the farce into which most games would descend if we weren’t there.
  • The G is for the gnarled face of someone who’s on £90,000 a week and reckons he should have had a throw in.
  • H is for handball, which has to be intentional and very rarely is. If only people would study the rules more.
  • I is for innocence, pleaded by many a doe-eyed defender after they’ve just scythed down that tricky winger.
  • J is for ju-jitsu, which I quite intend to display given a dark alley and some of the narky blerts I've encountered.
  • K is for the kissing of the badge. How ridiculous that looks 6 months later when they’re at another club.
  • L is for lip reading, at which you don’t need to be an expert to see how odious some people are.
  • M is for the mistakes we sometimes make. Surely a bit of controversy is part of the game's appeal?
  • The N, the N is for the numbskull who, during the boxing day game, asks me what else I got for Christmas besides my whistle. An afternoon with your wife, mate.
  • The O is for offside, which many forwards tell me they simply could not have been.
  • The P is for the penalty shootout. Great drama and no pressure on me!
  • Q is the quiet word I sometimes need to have with some of the more fiery participants... I usually choose the word 'Pleat'.
  • R is for running backwards. A difficult skill which the pundits never seem to appreciate.
  • S is for the suggestion that I should have awarded a card of some sort to a player who’s just been awarded a free kick... sorry I got all that wrong. The S again - okay the S, the S is the suggestion that I should show a card to an opponent by a player who’s been awarded a free kick. He himself is more in danger of getting one for that.
  • T is for the 21 man brawl, which is basically an embarrassing scene of pushing and shoving.
  • U is for the umpire which I sometimes wish I’d been instead. You never hear a cricket crowd shouting ‘who’s the b*****d in the hat’.
  • The V is for vitriol, vilification, vendetta and volley of verbal abuse.
  • W is for Walter Pidgeon, whose Mr Griffiths in How green was my Valley I may have started to sound like during this song. "Where was the light I thought to see in your eye?". He says that to a young Huw, played by Roddy McDowall.
  • The X. The X represents the sarcastic kiss planted on my forehead by the swarthy Portuguese centre-half who I’ve just dismissed.
  • The Y is for Yate; the kind of town referees come from.
  • And the Z. Well, the Z could be for Zidane, Zico, Zola, Zubizaretta, Zoff... even Zondervan, but is in fact for the zest with which we approach our work. Without this zest for the game we wouldn’t become refs. And without refs, well... zero. See also Zatopek, Zeus and Zeal Monachorum. I have a caravan there. Static, naturally.
Edited by Futtocks
  • Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I don't tend to read all the way through them, simply because I don't have Sky and therefore don't see most of the games live and the vague references to something happening on the pitch doesn't mean anything to anyone not watching the game live.

The stuff about refs was absolutely toxic in the ones I did read, it seemed that every game was ruined by a professional match official not letting someone's team win, certain clubs' fans were particularly bad at cutting officials any slack and putting any blame on their coach and players.

Likewise, the stuff about Saints/Kendall/any other official was bizarre and weird.

I like to comment on my own teams' match threads and on others once I've caught the highlights and like to read and digest any thoughts about the games, but they just usually end up in bitter rants about referees even when the referee is having a good game.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John Drake said:

I've posted the Hull FC v Hull KR match thread as an experiment.

Let's see how that one goes.

Ha ha....that is some 'stress test' of the principle for a starter!!! 

Humbersiders on here are some of the sassiest people when it comes to referee decisions 

I'm excited 😆

9 hours ago, wilsontown said:

Yes, the threads are often very useful to me as I will normally be watching in the pub and there won't be sound on unless there's no footy on the other screens, so I don't always understand what the hell is going on. This can also happen when I watch live games, to be fair.

I can see why you wouldn't relish moderating them, though.

Bring your headphones and dial into the radio commentary (it's what I do if watching a game in the pub)

43 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Bring your headphones and dial into the radio commentary (it's what I do if watching a game in the pub)

Aren't they normally so it of synch it becomes farcical.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

After all the above, an after possibly the try of season by Ash Handley the Total RL headline is: Friday Night Super League Results as controversy hits Leeds Rhinos-Salford Red Devils clash.

I watched the game with some neutrals and some Leeds fans, everyone agreed with the sin bin, but not who's round it was