showing the other scores live updates

so after 8 pages - do you ?- the fans - want live score up dates of other matches on screen or not? its simple- would maybe do a poll but dont know how to do one here

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Any way that avoids overlaps whilst also ensuring enough rest days for players. I don't mind how that is achieved but it shouldn't be that hard to do.

You could set up all the fixtures at the start of the season, to ensure a fair spread across the days to achieve this, like you say it shouldn't be that hard to do

10 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

so after 8 pages - do you ?- the fans - want live score up dates of other matches on screen or not? its simple- would maybe do a poll but dont know how to do one here

A big niche no from me

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

I want giant lasers putting up all the scores from all the games. I want holograms recreating the key plays in front of our eyes. I want planes circling overhead scribbling out the message, "That card is red".

• Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

I want giant lasers putting up all the scores from all the games. I want holograms recreating the key plays in front of our eyes. I want planes circling overhead scribbling out the message, "That card is red".

have another joint and u may get your wish- bless yer

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

have another joint and u may get your wish- bless yer

A shiny pint to the first person who gets my not-so-subtle film reference in my earlier post.

(You will need to come to Hastings for the pint. I do not travel these days.)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

A shiny pint to the first person who gets my not-so-subtle film reference in my earlier post.

(You will need to come to Hastings for the pint. I do not travel these days.)

Mrs Doubtfire? you can post the pint if u want

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, jim_57 said:

Would there be much pushback from fans or the clubs to going all (or most) games in standalone time-slots like the NRL does?

8pm Thursday. 
8pm Friday. 
3pm Saturday. 
5:30pm Saturday. 
7:30pm Saturday. 
3pm Sunday. 

Or something like that.

If there was some issues with that maybe go with 2 Friday night games as the only 2 that clash as a compromise?

This would be good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

Nah. It's easy to flick over or for the comm to say that a game is close. No need to give the score and spoil it for those who want to watch the game afterwards.

Giving score updates from the other games at HT and FT is perfectly reasonable I think.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Giving score updates from the other games at HT and FT is perfectly reasonable I think.

the "look away now" tactic might be something from the 70s but it works just as well now as it ever did. and you don't need to download an app for it

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

the "look away now" tactic might be something from the 70s but it works just as well now as it ever did. and you don't need to download an app for it

Yeah, I mean they could even do updates along the bottom of the screen at the 20 and 60 minute marks. Just as long as they weren't emblazoned there unannounced. People who want to can then avoid reading the scores as they go through for a minute.

It's about finding a happy medium, where those who want to watch the other games and those who enjoy the updates are both catered to.

Edited by StandOffHalf

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

You started this thread so you can add a poll easy. Go to your OP,select edit, then click on " content " then  "add poll "

56 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

You started this thread so you can add a poll easy. Go to your OP,select edit, then click on " content " then  "add poll "

lost already

13 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

lost already

Right.... go to the first post on page 1 which you posted to start thread. Click on three dots to reveal option edit. You'll see" Edit Topic" also you'll see " content" Then click on that and option Poll will come up,  click on poll then you'll see Box to write poll question,  then other boxes below to put poll answer choices of which you can type in up to ten , I think , answers for people to choose. You can have as few choices as you want. You can then set a closing time and date for poll and choose whether its a secret poll or voters names made for all to see.

Finally submit poll.

Edited by HawkMan
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Tre Cool said:

I think his point that IMG have maybe pushed for Sky to record and show every game live could be linked to an attempt to make money from betting around the world as much as just pleasing the fans .  It's a valid point.

That is my exact point...thank you for summarizing it so accurately.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

They might be able to do that around the world, but they won't be allowed to do that on UK broadcasts. Its against Ofcom regulations.

It's also not the point he made in the slightest. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 20/02/2024 at 11:18, gingerjon said:

The Saturday at 2.45pm slot (to allow time to finish and head over to soccer's final score) is crying out for RL.

You could probably manage two games on Saturday evening if you did something like 6pm (for two teams local enough to each other) and 8pm.

A Sunday game would probably need to either be midday or 6.30pm to avoid Super Sunday football and stay away from Championship/League 1 kick offs.

I mostly agree with this although would have two slots around the community game rather than a 2.45pm slot - say 12.30pm and 5pm, get people in the bar before and after. I think that'd really be a boost for community clubs, particularly if the early game was consistently on terrestrial TV (not sure what percentage of amateur clubs have Sky).

For me the point made about showing all games at different times makes complete sense - you might even get more neutrals attending games then too, and as someone said earlier RL fans generally seem to be fans of the sport rather than just their team, so you'd think TV viewing figures would get a boost.

• Like 2

On 20/02/2024 at 23:10, Kayakman said:

Here is an old article from a few years back before it happened in pro hockey.....RL is at the same place as hockey was a few years ago...this is where it is going/evolving.  Big money has been made and it will never go back.

Get ready and put on the seatbelts!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nhl-games-broadcasts-betting-gambling-promotion-1.6662461

Australia has been like that, and worse, for quite a few years now. We have the highest gambling losses per capita than any other nation on earth. We’re the highest by a good margin too. It’s almost incomprehensible to non-Australians when they realise what our normal is here. If NA is going all in and following the Australian path, then society better strap themselves in for the sadness and despair it brings to Australian society.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Copa said:

Australia has been like that, and worse, for quite a few years now. We have the highest gambling losses per capita than any other nation on earth. We’re the highest by a good margin too. It’s almost incomprehensible to non-Australians when they realise what our normal is here. If NA is going all in and following the Australian path, then society better strap themselves in for the sadness and despair it brings to Australian society.

It has already happened and they have really ingrained themselves into every aspect of sport....I tried to explain it to some of the posters on here but, for reasons beyond my ability to understand, they just can't seem to comprehend what is happening....a sign of the times I guess.

Its coming.

24 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

It has already happened and they have really ingrained themselves into every aspect of sport....I tried to explain it to some of the posters on here but, for reasons beyond my ability to understand, they just can't seem to comprehend what is happening....a sign of the times I guess.

Its coming.

Why do you keep saying it's coming to people who are explaining that Canada and the US are behind what has happened already elsewhere?

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Why do you keep saying it's coming to people who are explaining that Canada and the US are behind what has happened already elsewhere?

You wouldn't understand.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Yes it was? 

I think we are at crossed purposes. I wasn't disagreeing with your post.

The chat was about spoilers on Sky coverage, KM now claims his overall point is that we show every game to cater for betting companies. Which wasn't the point he made, nor relevant to the chat on whether Wilson tells us about a try 750 miles away when he gets time because a scrum is formed. 

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 3