Will there be pickets?

POR

From Matt Shaw

Super League players are discussing the possibility of strike action following a controversial start to the season. Rugby League Live can reveal players across a number of clubs have held initial conversations to gauge an appetite for such a movement, with players disillusioned by developments relating to the new tackle laws and subsequent punishments.

Several players have contacted Rugby League Live confirming such conversations are taking place, and while those discussions are currently speculative, there is an appetite among players to explore interest in strike action.

It comes after just one game week under which the new head contact laws have come into effect. Thirteen cards, of which four were red, were issued during the six Super League games. However, the main issue among players Rugby League Live has spoken to is the subsequent disciplinary action that has been issued by the Match Review Panel. Nine players have been suspended while another three are heading to a tribunal. All three players can expect a minimum four-match ban if found guilty.

I think the RFL will have mixed views about this move. On the one hand it's very awkward for them given they have only just launched this initiative, but on the other hand, it's not going to harm their case in the litigation issue with the former players who have filed the brain-injury lawsuit if they can point out a significant campaign from current players against the current clampdown.

• Like 1

Years ago when i used to play players wete always told to tackle around the waist and slide down ?? How often do you see that type of tackle now ? Not very often with the games i watch rugby is all about power now player size not skill i know there are some very skillfull players in todays game but not a patch on yesteryears

3 hours ago, J Phil Loxton said:

Perhaps going back to the five metre rule at the play the ball might rectify the head on collisions. The argument with that though is the game becomes less spectacular and it's understandable. BUT after all safety is paramount.

I was thinking about something similar Phil. Going back to 5 metres reduces the impact of the collisions of the big men and may lead to more creative play. Or maybe just less space will mean more boring rugby.

It's hard to know what the sport we love will look like in the future. Maybe waist high tackling will become the law and those big upper body collisions will become a thing of the past. 

Difficult to imagine.

4 hours ago, plug said:

Years ago when i used to play players wete always told to tackle around the waist and slide down ?? How often do you see that type of tackle now ? Not very often with the games i watch rugby is all about power now player size not skill i know there are some very skillfull players in todays game but not a patch on yesteryears

We were taught to tackle by driving in with the should into the body with the aim of trapping the ball. The second man was to drive in around the thigh area to stop movement. Simple really!