BBC Live Text

Our traditional BBC1 before Final Score slot was taken up by women's rugby union today, not a great sign for our place on the pecking order.

Edited by Hopie

I'm actually stunned by how far down the KR Leigh game is on the BBC Sport App. It's 9th. It's being beaten out by RU and Scottish football live text posts which aren't watchable games.

I am starting to think that the BBC have got a genuine disdain for RL now. Has someone high up done something to pee someone off?

I always remember on the morning of the Challenge Cup final a few years ago, the main feature on the sports section of the BBC Breakfast show was....... 'Dinosaur dancing in the Alps'. It was people dressed up as dinosaurs, dancing in the Alps which the BBC classed as a sport. The Cup Final was barely mentioned. When I complained, their response, typically, was that time constraints meant that they couldn't give more time to the rugby!

8 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live-guide

Hmmm.

Hopefully, it will get updated.

The "live guide" page has been getting steadily less useable for at least 5 years and probably more. I used to check it regularly to see what was being shown, but now it is not fit for any purpose I can think of.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

54 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

I'm actually stunned by how far down the KR Leigh game is on the BBC Sport App. It's 9th. It's being beaten out by RU and Scottish football live text posts which aren't watchable games.

I am starting to think that the BBC have got a genuine disdain for RL now. Has someone high up done something to pee someone off?

Fifth now. Main is the women's six nations then Premier League, Emma Raducanu tennis, European RU, then RL ...

Viewers on each of those pages (bearing in mind we're also on BBC Two = not sure where the others are actually being shown): 6,180; 95,184, 11,493, 4,325, 2,213 ... 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, meast said:

Does it really matter? If you want to watch a game that is being shown on the BBC, then I'm sure it's not that hard.

Course not, if you know it's happening already.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, meast said:

But most people on here and most RL fans know it's happening so will look for it.

And I don't think there's a big percentage of the nation that will be flicking through iplayer to see if there's any live RL on either.

The sport being on BBC isn't doing us any favours in terms of growth if people can't accidentally stumble upon it.

I think you'd be surprised how many casual sports fans there are looking for some form of sport to watch on a Saturday afternoon. Granted, this time it was on BBC2 but a lot of people don't watch live TV in a traditional way anymore.

Those casual fans probably ended up watching either the Women's 6 Nations or Emma Raducanu, which could have been viewers for us.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sam4731 said:

Those casual fans probably ended up watching either the Women's 6 Nations or Emma Raducanu, which could have been viewers for us.

During the game itself, you could access the live coverage on the main BBC Sport page in the top rank of links.

Those numbers I put up are from that time.

We should probably stop putting all the blame on the only broadcaster who has shown any interest in the Challenge Cup at all.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

In 10 hrs the HKR/Leigh HYS on BBC RL page has 27 replies. In 10 hrs the Bournemouth/Man Utd HYS has 1556 replies. BBC must notice these figures and prioritise accordingly.

Yes. Before "blame" we should establish what we want to achieve. Sure, there is a certain satisfaction seeing rugby league featuring in places familiar to us, places we already frequent. In my view, though, the real achievement comes in increasing the viewing figures, the interest, the attachment to our sport of lapsed fans and new fans. 

I see it much more important to see the games trailed in advance in the national media, with match reports and live text being secondary. From my (limited) viewing of the BBC sports news in recent days, I saw no mention at all of the upcoming cup games, just as I hardly ever see any promotion of SL games on Sky News.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Yes. Before "blame" we should establish what we want to achieve. Sure, there is a certain satisfaction seeing rugby league featuring in places familiar to us, places we already frequent. In my view, though, the real achievement comes in increasing the viewing figures, the interest, the attachment to our sport of lapsed fans and new fans. 

I see it much more important to see the games trailed in advance in the national media, with match reports and live text being secondary. From my (limited) viewing of the BBC sports news in recent days, I saw no mention at all of the upcoming cup games, just as I hardly ever see any promotion of SL games on Sky News.

I didn't hear any updates or previews on Five Live in advance which is disappointing. They were very into the Grand National though - everything else was just picking up pieces.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

I didn't hear any updates or previews on Five Live in advance which is disappointing. They were very into the Grand National though - everything else was just picking up pieces.

A complete offtopicisation but.....some horses seemed to go better without their jockeys.  Which makes me think Hull might do better if.....no...it'd never happen....t's unthinkable.....😀

Despite the BBC covering yesterdays Hull V Leigh game(yes they had put Hull on their schedule) there was no mention of the game on their sports round up on TV this morning. However clips were shown from 3 or 4 RU games which they are not covering.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bamfordsbeans said:

Despite the BBC covering yesterdays Hull V Leigh game(yes they had put Hull on their schedule) there was no mention of the game on their sports round up on TV this morning. However clips were shown from 3 or 4 RU games which they are not covering.

They’ve done that for years, even on the main BBC 1 evening news programmes.