Probably footless socks rather than cut off. They'd more than likely fray.

Some players have socks with exra grip on the soles. Gives them a better stability in play. The footless socks are just for fancy.

Edited by Griff

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

The grip socks are standard (ankle) sports socks. The sleeves make them look like normal long socks.

I thought players had to wear some kind of long socks for some reason as part of the kit…RFL rules or something - so that’s why they wear the sleeves as well. Only my assumption though 

Edited by Curly perm

15 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

David Bishop never wore socks :))))

Never? I can find plenty of photos online of him wearing socks which I could post here if they allowed pictures bigger than a postage stamp.

• Haha 1

Was thinking whilst watching the London v Wigan game earlier today that quite a lot of players across the league seem to be playing with their socks rolled down this season.

1 hour ago, Whippet13 said:

Was thinking whilst watching the London v Wigan game earlier today that quite a lot of players across the league seem to be playing with their socks rolled down this season.

I’ve noticed that.

I wonder how the ‘sock sponsors’ feel about that? Having paid out the cash to have their brand on the kit, only to have players roll their socks down. Do they raise that issue with the clubs?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Griff said:

Probably footless socks rather than cut off. They'd more than likely fray.

Some players have socks with exra grip on the soles. Gives them a better stability in play. The footless socks are just for fancy.

Garcia seemed to have grey under socks with the Cats team socks over the top.

Some players wear those extra grip socks on their feet, and then wear club “tube” socks over their calves. I doubt it does anything really, but it seems to be the trend in football - even my 17 year old does it - so not surprised other sports’ players are following 

The theory is that the team socks are too tight around the ankles to the extent that they restrict blood flow to the feet which is why it’s particularly prevalent in football. Don’t buy it personally but it’s certainly happened in RL for at least 4/5 years which was when I first remember seeing it. 

1 hour ago, Red Willow said:

Garcia seemed to have grey under socks with the Cats team socks over the top.

Grey at the bottom or the top?

14 hours ago, Griff said:

Grey at the bottom or the top?

the bits covering his feet (bottom) the top was the regulation Cats socks. there was another player had different socks.

53 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

the bits covering his feet (bottom) the top was the regulation Cats socks. there was another player had different socks.

Yeah - short gripper socks and Catalans "sleeves" covering his shins.

On 09/03/2024 at 23:00, Whippet13 said:

Been happening for years. Looks bloody awful and scruffy.