SKY - if you are reading this stop the spoilers

5 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

No, they're hurting or annoying RL fans, but don't care. Fans are there to be monetized that's all. Sky probably realise all this and wish they could bring SL+ August change forward!

I absolutely agree with you. I find it majorly frustrating as it would be so easy for them to simply stop doing it

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, arcticchris said:

I absolutely agree with you. I find it majorly frustrating as it would be so easy for them to simply stop doing it

Sky do record all Premier League matches even TNT broadcast ones. So 2 pm Sunday non televised games are shown in highlights form later on 402, so they could keep their mouths shut, but don't. If they don't for PL fans, their most valuable subscribers,  they ain't going to for RL fans. Unless 100,000 RL fans sign a petition and get it discussed in Parliament.

43 minutes ago, arcticchris said:

So should we take it that you don’t bother with midweek NRL games as they took place when you were at work and unable to tune in at 11am to watch it.

I very rarely watch matches that aren’t live.

And, as all viewing figures in all sports alll around the world show, that is the default position of the overwhelming majority.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 hours ago, HawkMan said:

No, they're hurting or annoying RL fans, but don't care. Fans are there to be monetized that's all. Sky probably realise all this and wish they could bring SL+ August change forward!

10 hours ago, arcticchris said:

You know you dont talk for every single RL fan, right? All the ones Ive spoken to have no problem with the scores being shown, in fact the majority find them useful and are happy with them doing it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dkw said:

All the ones Ive spoken to have no problem with the scores being shown, in fact the majority find them useful and are happy with them doing it.

I was mulling this last night whilst at Division 10 football and being involved in conversations about both the game in front of us - an entertaining 3-2 away win - and the scores from other local games being texted in *and* the games that were on the TV in the clubhouse. It just seemed natural that if you were engaged with one then you'd be interested in them all - and talk about them as they were happening.

Not a perfect comparison - aware of the spoiler argument etc - but it did occur to me that sharing the scores and discussing them is a continuation on the TV of how people consume their sport when at the game itself.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

37 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I was mulling this last night whilst at Division 10 football and being involved in conversations about both the game in front of us - an entertaining 3-2 away win - and the scores from other local games being texted in *and* the games that were on the TV in the clubhouse. It just seemed natural that if you were engaged with one then you'd be interested in them all - and talk about them as they were happening.

Not a perfect comparison - aware of the spoiler argument etc - but it did occur to me that sharing the scores and discussing them is a continuation on the TV of how people consume their sport when at the game itself.

Its really never been an issue before, and definitely not for games that happened 10 hours ago,   I find RL fans are a bit weird with what they get angry about

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Its really never been an issue before, and definitely not for games that happened 10 hours ago,   I find RL fans are a bit weird with what they get angry about

This isn't really true though. A quick search does show people in other sports ranting about the same things. 

Many major sports apps do have spoiler blockers too, so it is a thing. 

Ultimately it's a preference thing, but it ain't just an RL thing. 

Spoiler alerts are a huge thing across entertainment in general too. 

If it doesn't bother people, fine, but it isn't weird that it does bother some people. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

This isn't really true though. A quick search does show people in other sports ranting about the same things. 

If it doesn't bother people, fine, but it isn't weird that it does bother some people. 

The wanting scores blocked for hours into days is ridiculous. Absolutely and completely ridiculous.

EDIT

Specifically for TV coverage. What you do in the confines of your app is up to you.

Edited by gingerjon
  • Like 1

I think one point touched on by GJ about sport being live is probably important from Sky's point of view. Even though people's methods of watching are changing. And things like delays are used, let's be honest, they want us watching Live so that we can't forward the ads. One of the positives about maybe watching a match on a 20 minute delay is breaks can be nudged on, and I'm not sure thats what they want. 

I don't think this is some kind of fan experience thinking piece, especially when they don't bother doing it on the secondary matches really, other than a fumbled mention at times. 

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

The wanting scores blocked for hours into days is ridiculous. Absolutely and completely ridiculous.

EDIT

Specifically for TV coverage. What you do in the confines of your app is up to you.

Aye, that doesn't bother me tbh, however with an open mind we should consider there are maybe better ways. As has been pointed out, these games are played during 9-5 working hours, so watching methods for these are more likely to be on delay. I'm not sure why they can't even just show a try and sell it by saying there was a stunning match and watch it on catch up etc. 

That just feels a better model tbh - especially when we consider that Premier League coverage doesn't start with Bundesliga results, so that one is quite unique, and tbh quite unnecessary. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Aye, that doesn't bother me tbh, however with an open mind we should consider there are maybe better ways. As has been pointed out, these games are played during 9-5 working hours, so watching methods for these are more likely to be on delay. I'm not sure why they can't even just show a try and sell it by saying there was a stunning match and watch it on catch up etc. 

That just feels a better model tbh - especially when we consider that Premier League coverage doesn't start with Bundesliga results, so that one is quite unique, and tbh quite unnecessary. 

But, again, we have *every sport on every channel in every country* to back this up: recorded sport is not even close to live sport. You can do what you say and I’d still be willing to bet the viewing figures for a live game at 11am midweek will be higher than a full run through of that later.

Even the citadel of tape delays being accepable - the US networks - has fallen. 

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

But, again, we have *every sport on every channel in every country* to back this up: recorded sport is not even close to live sport. You can do what you say and I’d still be willing to bet the viewing figures for a live game at 11am midweek will be higher than a full run through of that later.

Even the citadel of tape delays being accepable - the US networks - has fallen. 

I'll bet if you didn't do it viewers wouldn't drop. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I'll bet if you didn't do it viewers wouldn't drop. 

If it doesn’t make a difference then no need to change.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

So why does the BBC on its Saturday or Sunday night newscast prior to MOD and MOD-2 say when doing the sports bulletin, if anyone does not want to know the scores look away now?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

So why does the BBC on its Saturday or Sunday night newscast prior to MOD and MOD-2 say when doing the sports bulletin, if anyone does not want to know the scores look away now?

Because it’s a sixty year old tradition.

42 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Score updates have happened all the time on Sky, what hasn't happened is the simultaneous transmission of games - I get the angst there to a certain degree,  Complaining about giving out NRL scores half a day after its happened to make a point is a bit weird and I doubt you can get an example of that from other sports

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

If it doesn’t make a difference then no need to change.

We can flip that to suit. 

They tried something new (spoilers when showing other games - they haven't done it ever before for RL) and it delivers no uplift, that's hardly a success. 

As I say, ultimately, it's a preference, we have different preferences, happy to disagree. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Score updates have happened all the time on Sky, what hasn't happened is the simultaneous transmission of games - I get the angst there to a certain degree,  Complaining about giving out NRL scores half a day after its happened to make a point is a bit weird and I doubt you can get an example of that from other sports

Do Premier League games start with Bundesliga spoilers? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

OK, that's all right then!

I know you don’t watch it, but, trust me, nobody involved with Match of the Day is pretending that the people watching don’t know the scores.

20 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Do Premier League games start with Bundesliga spoilers? 

No idea. But you will hear discussions of whatever football Sky has in the commentary if it becomes relevant.

I think a big reason why they are doing this is because by showing all 6 games, there is a big risk the main game chosen is far from a classic. 

Instead of switching over to a soap on ITV, a lot of this could just be Sky being able to say "look there's still this for you to watch".

• Like 2

Personally not bothered about the score updates as i am usually at our game anyway, what does annoy me though is when the commentator (Mark Wilson usually), who has access to the officials audio it seems, announcing that 'there's a red card coming here' about 30 seconds before the Ref actually calls the player over, to me it spoils the drama of waiting to see what colour the card will be, or saying the video ref has given a try when on the screen we can still see the replay, by all means let commentators have access to the audio but please don't tell us what's going to happen and spoil it.

• Like 1