Sat 20th Apr: SL: Warrington Wolves v Leigh Leopards KO 15:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Warrington Wolves
    • Leigh Leopards

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/04/24 at 14:30

45 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Under Lam, a young Hanley was dropped into the deep end for an injury-hit Wigan and he got absolutely monstered by a rampant St Helens side. It seems like Lam saw enough to keep faith with him, and it is paying off. I'm very glad for him.

He was a talent in the academy but the name always felt like a weight on his shoulders he didn’t need because how do you live up to that?! I don’t quite get why he’s kept it, given he’s open about not having a relationship with Ellery or his family. On one hand it may open a door or two but the over riding thought is that it just brings pressure. 

I can’t lie, I was a bit disappointed in Hanleys interview with the Mirror in the build up to Leigh v Wigan a couple of weeks back. He called Peet out for not gong him a chance but Lam didn’t give him many either (at Wigan) and unlike Peet in 2022, Lam had injury problems in 2021, with Field and French injured for the whole of the year. Peet had French and Marshall on his wings for a full season in 2022. I’m not sure whose place he thought he should’ve been given but either way, I’m glad it’s now working out. 

6 minutes ago, WN83 said:

He was a talent in the academy but the name always felt like a weight on his shoulders he didn’t need because how do you live up to that?! I don’t quite get why he’s kept it, given he’s open about not having a relationship with Ellery or his family. On one hand it may open a door or two but the over riding thought is that it just brings pressure. 

I can’t lie, I was a bit disappointed in Hanleys interview with the Mirror in the build up to Leigh v Wigan a couple of weeks back. He called Peet out for not gong him a chance but Lam didn’t give him many either (at Wigan) and unlike Peet in 2022, Lam had injury problems in 2021, with Field and French injured for the whole of the year. Peet had French and Marshall on his wings for a full season in 2022. I’m not sure whose place he thought he should’ve been given but either way, I’m glad it’s now working out. 

He was young and probably spoke impulsively out of frustration.

Still, at least he had a different first name. There are some children of famous people who get lumbered with the whole name, plus a "Junior" at the end, just to ram the inferiority home.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, WN83 said:

Wotsisface had a different name, and still had the pressure.

Thingy.

• Haha 1

The next couple of weeks should see Asiata and Briscoe become available, together with Mulhern and Amone getting back to full pace. Get Moylan and Lam behind a winning pack and things change dramatically - Dont think we will see Ipape again in a Leigh shirt

17 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

The next couple of weeks should see Asiata and Briscoe become available, together with Mulhern and Amone getting back to full pace. Get Moylan and Lam behind a winning pack and things change dramatically - Dont think we will see Ipape again in a Leigh shirt

Why do you say that about Ipape?

15 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Just one of those things that are missed unfortunately once the on field officials have missed it nothing can be done. The VR wouldn’t be able to go back to it. 

Aye it is one of those unwritten laws of the universe or at least Rugby League Bob, when you are winning you get these incidents going your way nothing whatsoever to do with 'making your own luck', but when you are not winning these and likewise calls go against you, it has happened for as long as I have been involved with the game and it will continue to do so, yes it us one of those things.

But just one point, why would the VR not be able to go back to it it happened at the play the ball before the passing movement that resulted in the try? Theoretically the same tackle in the set.

30 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Gut feel as he is never mentioned by Lam in any updates - Smoke n Fire stuff

Hopefully you’re just reading too much into it. Lam never talks specifically about a player unless explicitly asked about him, unless the news is that they are returning. Holmes was a prime example, no word about him until he was back in contention to play. 
Lam has said that everyone’s back in the next 2 or 3 weeks, have assumed Ipape will be amongst those. That said, he’s clearly not training yet.

Hopefully Nakubuwai has played his last game for us. We didn’t have the usual drop off from the bench yesterday, and it isn’t a coincidence. 

27 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Aye it is one of those unwritten laws of the universe or at least Rugby League Bob, when you are winning you get these incidents going your way nothing whatsoever to do with 'making your own luck', but when you are not winning these and likewise calls go against you, it has happened for as long as I have been involved with the game and it will continue to do so, yes it us one of those things.

But just one point, why would the VR not be able to go back to it it happened at the play the ball before the passing movement that resulted in the try? Theoretically the same tackle in the set.

It’s not the same tackle as it occurred before the PTB.

The protocol on how far back you can go has been the same for a long time and any review, if it had met a revised protocol, would have been reliant on a potential knock on being identified which it seems nobody on the field and most watching at home or at the ground noticed at the time

10 minutes ago, LeeF said:

It’s not the same tackle as it occurred before the PTB.

The protocol on how far back you can go has been the same for a long time and any review, if it had met a revised protocol, would have been reliant on a potential knock on being identified which it seems nobody on the field and most watching at home or at the ground noticed at the time

I noticed it at home watching live. But it’s only mentioned because we let them go 60 yards to score 

11 hours ago, Barry Badrinath said:

Wotsisface had a different name, and still had the pressure.

Thingy.

Offiahs lad, was at wigan, catalans and leigh.

When I get these mental blocks I refuse to Google to get these answers.

But yes, young players with legendary parents/grand parents do get extra expectation from sky.

Looks at Billy Boston's grandson.

2 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Gut feel as he is never mentioned by Lam in any updates - Smoke n Fire stuff

Lam specifically mentioned him this week as being back training on field and back within the next 2 to 3 weeks along with Asiata and Briscoe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LeytherRob said:

Lam specifically mentioned him this week as being back training on field and back within the next 2 to 3 weeks along with Asiata and Briscoe.

Any news on Mulhearn, did he break down with the injury that has kept him out, surely he would have come back on if fit.

1 hour ago, LeytherRob said:

Ipape due to be back for the Cas game and now running according to Lam 2 weeks ago. 

To be fair though, he is rarely mentioned but I thought is injury and recovery was more set in stone and obvious. 

37 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

I heard something about some agent unrest a few weeks ago, have you got a lot of players out of contract this year

May 1st is around the corner

Yes, lots of players. But that performance yesterday didn’t look like a team with issues behind the scenes

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Barry Badrinath said:

Offiahs lad, was at wigan, catalans and leigh.

When I get these mental blocks I refuse to Google to get these answers.

But yes, young players with legendary parents/grand parents do get extra expectation from sky.

Looks at Billy Boston's grandson.

Lewis Tierney. Jason Robinson’s offspring rather than Offiah’s. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Lewis Tierney. Jason Robinson’s offspring rather than Offiah’s. 

Another in a long list of premature injury retirements we had in our 2017/2021 SL seasons. As bad as this year's been, it's not a patch on the shocking luck we had those years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Any news on Mulhearn, did he break down with the injury that has kept him out, surely he would have come back on if fit.

Lam said he could possibly have come back on but did get some slight tightness in his calf so didn't want to risk him. Should be available next week I imagine.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phiggins said:

Yes, lots of players. But that performance yesterday didn’t look like a team with issues behind the scenes

Absolutely,  but agent unrest rather than player unrest.

But we've seen in action at warrington how 1st may can cause problems

1 hour ago, Barry Badrinath said:

Absolutely,  but agent unrest rather than player unrest.

But we've seen in action at warrington how 1st may can cause problems

I think 1st May is a bit of a red herring. Most players will already know where they will be playing next year, even if they are out of contract with their current club. Don’t think many, if any, clubs wait till May to talk to players

1 hour ago, phiggins said:

I think 1st May is a bit of a red herring. Most players will already know where they will be playing next year, even if they are out of contract with their current club. Don’t think many, if any, clubs wait till May to talk to players

Lam has already stated pretty much everyone Leigh want to keep on has been sorted 

1 hour ago, ColD said:

Lam has already stated pretty much everyone Leigh want to keep on has been sorted 

Of course ‘sorted’ could mean various things. I remember Lam saying Reynolds’ contract situation would be sorted soon last year. When with Lam and O’Donnell he was able to give a much more positive update. 

Out of all those out of contract, I think we need to get Asiata, Amone, Hanley and Leutele signed up. Can take or leave the rest. But am sure they will assemble a good squad for next year and hopefully prepare for the season than they have this year. 

On 20/04/2024 at 18:03, Loiner said:

Very enjoyable game that for the neutral, gutsy win for Warrington hard luck Leigh you didn't give up trying.

Yep agree after we watched as live today 

My game of the season so far. Fast paced, lots of skill and lots of nicely crafted tries

Little Leon Hayes reminds me of Burrow so much ...great talent 

• Like 2