Top 5 players in the world

Who are your top 5 players in the world at the moment? mine are 

(In no order)

James Tedesco

Issah Yeo

Nathan Cleary

Jack Welsby

Payne Haas

Manu just missed out, Trbojevic, Ponga, Grant, Munster are all right up there for me too.

Edited by NRLandSL
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

@graveyard johnny what’s funny mate, you’ve got Walsh and Coates in your top 5, that’s far funnier than mine.

your saying welsby is better than reece walsh?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

59 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

Who are your top 5 players in the world at the moment? mine are 

(In no order)

James Tedesco

Issah Yeo

Nathan Cleary

Jack Welsby

Payne Haas

Manu definitely 6th, Trbojevic, Ponga, Grant, Munster are all right up there for me too.

What I like is that you don't - presumably can't ? - rank platers 1 to 5 but 'Manu is definitely 6th'

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

your saying welsby is better than reece walsh?

Without a shadow of a doubt, not even close. Walsh can’t go a game without making a thousand errors, and doesn’t have anywhere near the playmaking and vision of Welsby. Still a very good player with a remarkable running game but also still got a lot to improve on if he wants to reach the likes of Welsby, Tedesco and Ponga.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, N2022 said:

What I like is that you don't - presumably can't ? - rank platers 1 to 5 but 'Manu is definitely 6th'

I just said because he is very very close to making my list, and could easily be put above some of those other guys.

2 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

Without a shadow of a doubt, not even close. Walsh can’t go a game without making a thousand errors, and doesn’t have anywhere near the playmaking and vision of Welsby. Still a very good player with a remarkable running game but also still got a lot to improve on if he wants to reach the likes of Welsby, Tedesco and Ponga.

As far as I am concerned, Paps is the best fullback in our game. So good to see him back from a miserable two years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sports Prophet said:

As far as I am concerned, Paps is the best fullback in our game. So good to see him back from a miserable two years.

So many good fullbacks in the game right now, on form paps is fair shout. For me he needs to get a full season of good form to but above some of those others guys.

So, I am going with.

Payne Haas - by far the best prop in the game, an absolute machine with the ball in his hands, an unbelievable engine who also never misses a tackle.

Kayln Ponga - best all round full back with a passing and running game.

Nathan Cleary - best game manager.

Viliame Kikau - most damaging edge ball runner.

Reece Walsh - this is my bolter.  He makes far too many errors but equally, he is doing things in attack that no other player is capable of.  As soon as he gets the errors out of his game, he will be the best player in the world.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

9 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

So, I am going with.

Payne Haas - by far the best prop in the game, an absolute machine with the ball in his hands, an unbelievable engine who also never misses a tackle.

Kayln Ponga - best all round full back with a passing and running game.

Nathan Cleary - best game manager.

Viliame Kikau - most damaging edge ball runner.

Reece Walsh - this is my bolter.  He makes far too many errors but equally, he is doing things in attack that no other player is capable of.  As soon as he gets the errors out of his game, he will be the best player in the world.

I genuinely reakon once Payne Haas’s career comes to an end he will go down as the greatest prop of all time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AB90 said:

I genuinely reakon once Payne Haas’s career comes to an end he will go down as the greatest prop of all time. 

I agree.  This is what I posted in May of last year after his start to the 2023 season.

he tops the Dally M leaderboard after 10 rounds (and missed one game through suspension).

I was looking at his stats.  Yes, he tops the metre makers for forwards at 1,537 for the year (average 171 a game - next best forward is Joseph Tapine at 145).  But the stat that jumped out at me is that in those 9 games, Haas hasn't missed a single tackle. That is outstanding, he is a machine.

171 metres a game is good enough but to not miss a single tackle in those games is remarkable. 

According to NRL.com Haas missed 10 tackles in the season (in 23 games).  James Fisher-Harris, also a world class prop missed 56 tackles in the same number of games.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Funny how virtually every list will be exclusively NRL 

Despite the fact the WCC has dispelled the myth 

London could beat Penrith tomorrow and people would still say it doesn't count because its a one off game.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Funny how virtually every list will be exclusively NRL 

Despite the fact the WCC has dispelled the myth 

2 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

London could beat Penrith tomorrow and people would still say it doesn't count because its a one off game.

I am delighted when the Super League side wins the WCC.

But as a Wigan fan, I can't put any of them in the top 5 players in the world.  And I can't put a Super League player in there either.

If others can then fair enough as this is nothing but opinion.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I am delighted when the Super League side wins the WCC.

But as a Wigan fan, I can't put any of them in the top 5 players in the world.  And I can't put a Super League player in there either.

If others can then fair enough as this is nothing but opinion.

I think if Welsby went to the NRL he'd be dynamite and in everyone's 5

As it is he is dynamite in our league so most people won't count it 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I think Welsby is superb.  I think he would be in the top 5 full backs in the NRL if he went over, and full back is the strongest position in the NRL. But top 5 players in the world is a high benchmark... higher than 'world class' as that could be top 13 or even one of the best in each position.

And believe me, I am not just using the league as a determiner, I think some Super League players are among the very best in the world in their position.  But again, best 5 players in the world is a very high watermark.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I think Welsby is superb.  I think he would be in the top 5 full backs in the NRL if he went over, and full back is the strongest position in the NRL. But top 5 players in the world is a high benchmark... higher than 'world class' as that could be top 13 or even one of the best in each position.

And believe me, I am not just using the league as a determiner, I think some Super League players are among the very best in the world in their position.  But again, best 5 players in the world is a very high watermark.

I think a lot of it comes down to the opposition a player and team faces week in week out. Without doubt the NRL is the strongest league, so it’s really hard to rank a SL player in the World’s top 5 players, when they are not playing against the level and consistency of opposition the NRL players are. When you play with and against more high calibre players, it takes your own game even further and it starts with training, which all of players and coaches having experienced both league that I have spoken to will agree, the NRL is years ahead.

As for Welsby, I agree with @Dunbar that he is among the top echelon of the game’s FB’s. I would love to see him in the NRL. He would love life down in Cronulla especially.

As we have seen with Dodd signing, I expect as rumours swirl of NRL moving to 20 teams before the end of the decade, we will see more and more British spine players signed up in Aus.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sam4731 said:

Hate to disagree with you but London could not beat Penrith tomorrow (or the day after, or…..)

• Like 1