Match thread: Championship Round 7. Featherstone Rovers v Halifax. Sunday 5th May 2024.

23 hours ago, Phil Briscoe said:

That’s two middles we’ve lost in recent weeks if confirmed. Definitely be good to bring another one in on a permanent basis not just rely on DR. 

Nah! Let's see how the likes of Kamano and England develope with DR as a back up, hold on to the moneys savings and strengthen for the run-in. There may be some quality players available from France when their season ends.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rovers fev said:

Bret Delaney 

Gareth carvell

paul wood 

Gareth raynor 

sam Irwin 

Are all players who have come and never lived up to the hype aswell 

All average signings but to be honest the "hype" was pretty muted with all these players, wasn't it? Four of those players were simply a punt on ageing players at their last club, and the other an unknown aussie.

27 minutes ago, Steve Slater said:

Nah! Let's see how the likes of Kamano and England develope with DR as a back up, hold on to the moneys savings and strengthen for the run-in. There may be some quality players available from France when their season ends.

I agree. Leaving aside Tanner as we don't really know what his situation is, we have Bussey, Addy, Springer, Massey, Kamano, Albert, plus Roberts who has looked okay when he's played, and Fishwick looks very steady too, with Tennison another possible DR option if injuries strike.

I suspect we don't have much money for further signings at the moment anyway but at the moment we're doing ok in our bid to challenge for a top 6 spot so as you say I'm not sure we need to spend any money right now.

Kamano has really impressed me, I think he has steadily improved as the season goes on and seems to be having a few more carries now where he gets plenty of yards after contact.

3 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

All average signings but to be honest the "hype" was pretty muted with all these players, wasn't it? Four of those players were simply a punt on ageing players at their last club, and the other an unknown aussie.

Indeed, as you say it all depends on expectations. For instance, Makahesi Makatoa was a very solid  and popular member of our good 2019 team, but he played nearly 50 NRL games over the next 2 seasons (for a good team too) and if he'd come to us on the back of 50 NRL games we might have almost been underwhelmed by his performances.

By contrast Leilua was a big name who was a high-profile signing in terms of column inches, for me he made lots of good contributions for us as well as a few howlers but his previous career and (presumed) price tag meant a lot of fans were a bit underwhelmed by him.

I may be wrong but Tanner came to UK with his girl friend, they had a fallout and she has gone back to Os he has chased after her for a reconciliation, me thinks.

Some good and imo accurate player summaries here. It's always encouraging to know others share the same view.

Here's 3.

Massey. Potentially another Locky.

Turner. Game changer. Assist king. Cult hero in the making. Not Chizzy Time. Its Turner Time.

England. Its not the dog in the fight. Its the fight in the dog. It's always great to see the bravery of a Josh H or the aggression of a Jack B but with those qualities and an unrelenting workrate Brad was fabulous on Sunday. More of that and he will become a proper crowd favourite. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Squidward said:

Some good and imo accurate player summaries here. It's always encouraging to know others share the same view.

Here's 3.

Massey. Potentially another Locky.

Turner. Game changer. Assist king. Cult hero in the making. Not Chizzy Time. Its Turner Time.

England. Its not the dog in the fight. Its the fight in the dog. It's always great to see the bravery of a Josh H or the aggression of a Jack B but with those qualities and an unrelenting workrate Brad was fabulous on Sunday. More of that and he will become a proper crowd favourite. 

Englands been like that every game he’s played in my opinion signing of the season he does the things just casual fans won’t recognise

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rovers fev said:

Englands been like that every game he’s played in my opinion signing of the season he does the things just casual fans won’t recognise

I rate England and I thought he was v.good v Halifax. A Bateman-style player, not the biggest, but a scrapper, a disrupter and a tough competitor. You've got to expect a few penalties, but I like him in the team.

• Like 3

On 05/05/2024 at 22:39, bigbaldnmad said:

Young ref today seemed to struggle, not sure he got the sending off right, Inman seemed to be loosing height as a mitigating factor to the shoulder to the head, perhaps a yellow would have been right. 

Fax bringing in Corey Johnson from Leeds on loan who plays hooker. Rumor seems to be that Inman suffered a broken jaw in the Gale incident. No idea how true that is but its a strange move bringing a hooker in when Adam O Brien was supposedly only a few weeks off so does point to an injury for Inman.

57 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Fax bringing in Corey Johnson from Leeds on loan who plays hooker. Rumor seems to be that Inman suffered a broken jaw in the Gale incident.

If a player has been allowed to play on for over 20 minutes with a broken jaw after receiving treatment and without leaving the field under the current HIA that's mind boggling.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

Fax bringing in Corey Johnson from Leeds on loan who plays hooker. Rumor seems to be that Inman suffered a broken jaw in the Gale incident. No idea how true that is but its a strange move bringing a hooker in when Adam O Brien was supposedly only a few weeks off so does point to an injury for Inman.

Nobody likes to see any player get injured and referees have tight lines now to deal with these things. Gale has never been known for dirty play in fact it may be the first time he has been sent off. The only good thing to come out of that is that the sending off actually spurred Fev and the crowd on when it looked like Fev were beginning to lose their way a bit. Thought Fax open play was excellent but they probably introduce this a little too early in their play. In my opinion I think you will come good sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, J Phil Loxton said:

Nobody likes to see any player get injured and referees have tight lines now to deal with these things. Gale has never been known for dirty play in fact it may be the first time he has been sent off. The only good thing to come out of that is that the sending off actually spurred Fev and the crowd on when it looked like Fev were beginning to lose their way a bit. Thought Fax open play was excellent but they probably introduce this a little too early in their play. In my opinion I think you will come good sooner rather than later.

Agree about Fax throwing the ball about early in the tackle count.I don't think they fancied taking  on our forwards  down the middle.Considering all the changes our pack has stood the test in most games even against Wakey.

5 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Agree about Fax throwing the ball about early in the tackle count.I don't think they fancied taking  on our forwards  down the middle.Considering all the changes our pack has stood the test in most games even against Wakey.

Yeah. Not like the Fax of old who fronted up first and then threw the ball out. Having what I said before though, the sending off worked in Fevs favour in as much it ignited the crowd and spurred the team on.

14 hours ago, J Phil Loxton said:

Yeah my personal take was that it was just an unfortunate incident, Gale trying to get a shot on a player juggling the ball to force the error and Inman dropping at the same time. It looks bad because of where the contact is so I wouldnt be surprised if its a couple game ban but given the precedent set the other week if it turns out Inman has broke his jaw it could be a lengthy ban because of the injury.

14 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

If a player has been allowed to play on for over 20 minutes with a broken jaw after receiving treatment and without leaving the field under the current HIA that's mind boggling.

Ive watched the incident a few times and can't believe it myself. A guy who I presume is the doctor(No markings on his red top) checks him out but seems to be the main concern is his jaw. Call me a cynic but we have no other hooker in the team and Eden was also needing to be replaced as he was quite clearly hobbled at this time, that should not play a part but it would not surprise me that teams game the system.

24 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Gaz Gale has picked up a ban for his sending off, but only for 1 game.

That's good news,i take it he will miss Dewsbury away do we give Wakoke a chance to show his pace on fast ground?.On Gale i thought it could have been interpreted as accidental as both players competed for the ball.

2 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Gaz Gale has picked up a ban for his sending off, but only for 1 game.

Seems fair and sensible. Fev might owe Fax one though as we don't tend to give out injury news so theres a chance we only find out he broke his jaw after about 8 weeks out. 🤣