Toulouse (H) 4th May

A home game after three on the road and 3 defeats,last 2 heavy losses. 
New coach and what a game for Marchy to start as head coach ,Toulouse. If I’m honest I don’t know what to expect on Saturday,can Paul lift the players ,how will the players respond to his coaching and how he does things. Toulouse have had a mixed start to their season,two wins and four losses,admittedly three of the defeats have come at Sheffield,Bradford and Wakefield.

I’ll go.

Rams 10

Toulouse 22

Fts Turner

Mom Davies

Att 458

A must-win this. Using the 2022 and 2023 Championship tables as a rule of thumb, it looks like we'll need at least about 16 points or 8 wins to stand a remote chance of avoiding the bottom two places. Going through our remaining fixtures, this is one that looks winnable, in the most fanciful sense of the word.

The fact it's Paul March's first proper game in charge, and that we are at home and Bailey O'Connor is in the squad, could help us. And with talisman Stevo in town to cheer us on, I'm predicting a hard fought 16-14 win.

Att. 580. Mom Hookem 

Posted (edited)

Are we going to play Toulouse or ToWin?

I feel optimistic about this fixture-no not that optimistic where we win, but that we give a better performance than of late. 

Dewsbury 12-20 Toulouse

FTS: Turner

MoM: Hookem

Att: 556

Edited by Crown Flatter
  • Like 1
Legs, Dews, Legs.

Dewsbury 12 Toulouse 28

Unfortunately the slump to continue 

On a more cheery note

Next 3 games

Featherstone Home

Sheffield Away

Wakefield Away

😢😢😢😢

According to reports their result at Wakefield didn't reflect how competitive they were, being let down by poor discipline, thankfully not something that we suffer from. Given that our squad is only boosted by one DR this week it is difficult to see where an immediate improvement on recent performances might come from. We can enjoy the day of celebration and possibly see some enjoyable rugby to give us hope.

Rams 18 - 32 Toulouse

FTS: Davies

Att: 925

• Like 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Worst referee I have seen for a long time. Virtually every penalty went to Toulouse.  Don’t hear cheat from the south stand very often. But we did concede 4 poor tries especially the one from acting half. 

Posted (edited)

Close call BSJ with your predicted 

One of the most biased officials performance I can remember, for most of the game we were IMO (all be it tinted) the best side. Cained for penalty after penalty in the second half and our visitors seemed to get away with virtually everything. 

I'm pleased with the performance form the lads. Who knows with a bit more of a balanced officiating we could have taken this one 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by muddyfunster

The future's bright, the future's RED AMBER & BLACK!

http://www.jmgaskets-seals.co.uk/ image.png.96e4130d8b139666bf34e8fcdead30d9.png

A very good effort from the team. A shocking penalty count against. I hope the coach sorts it out 'if our players are at fault . I couldn't here my self speak at half time in the main stand.The music was far too loud as well as being utter TRIPE .we need a coach who will bring in couple of quality players.Div is certain at the moment.

27 minutes ago, silcoates said:

A very good effort from the team. A shocking penalty count against. I hope the coach sorts it out 'if our players are at fault . I couldn't here my self speak at half time in the main stand.The music was far too loud as well as being utter TRIPE .we need a coach who will bring in couple of quality players.Div is certain at the moment.

'If our players are at fault'. NO THEY WERE NOT. 

From the kick off Toulouse were yapping at the ref. They never let up all match. By the second half the referee was being totally dominated by the Toulouse players. Anything they called for was being given. The worst case of players intimidating a referee I have ever seen. 

If you think I'm being biased and making it all up, have a word with a few of the Dewsbury players who were close to it and listening to it all. That boy isn't strong enough to deal with old hand professionals. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I said I was optimistic and I saw much to be pleased about with our performance today., but we were never going to win with the referee caning us 16-4 on penalties (15-5 according to Marchy). Milligan, the referee, was “old manned” by them on more than one occasion and didn’t notice that they were offside at the kick off, yet hit us for that offence numerous times. They had three set restarts, but of course, none for us. Were we that bad?

I thought we were very good value for our half time lead, producing some of our best football thus far. In the second, understandably, we tired with all the defending we had to do, gaps appeared, tries were scored and like last week, big blokes were able to crash through and score.

Still, I was pleased with our efforts and let’s hope there’s more to come.

• Like 1
Legs, Dews, Legs.

Super performance from the lads that didn’t merit the final score.  We played a more open style that was great to watch and looked far better on attack. 
Would have been very close but for the  referee and missing at least  four of our “best” 17.  If we had played like that against fax we’d have won I reckon.   Let’s hope they can keep it up.   With Bailey and others to come back some reason for optimism…

have to agree about the music in south stand.  Great we are trying something new but please turn the volume down a tad😀

A very good first half from us with bags of enthusiasm and some good rugby on show. Games against Toulouse have always been entertaining as their open attacking style is often matched by a less than tight defence, which does lead to a more open game. They focussed more in the second half and had clearly recognised some weaknesses that they then exploited. I felt that the difference in fitness between full-time and part-time players began to show at the end, resulting in a score line that didn't really reflect our performance. As Paul March said in his post match interview we were beaten by the better side; they were bigger, faster and fitter with a sprinkling of experience and gamesmanship that we didn't match.

Overall a game that was pleasing to the eye and offered some encouragement, albeit producing zero points in the table, once again. I will be difficult to see us getting anything from the next three games, however, after which our race might almost be run.

I was baffled by the penalty count but would never accuse any referee of bias. It will be interesting to see a video of the game, if we still produce one. I often feel that, on rewatching games I find that the referee was actually correct most times when I thought that he was wrong, but let's see.

One final point for those who regularly advocate for reducing the entrance prices in order to increase the crowd size (speculate to accumulate is a popular theme), the proof of the pudding was there to be seen yesterday.

• Like 2

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

11 hours ago, STEVE P said:

From the kick off Toulouse were yapping at the ref. They never let up all match. By the second half the referee was being totally dominated by the Toulouse players. Anything they called for was being given. The worst case of players intimidating a referee I have ever seen. 

If you think I'm being biased and making it all up, have a word with a few of the Dewsbury players who were close to it and listening to it all. That boy isn't strong enough to deal with old hand professionals. 

One thing that has occurred to me since I posted last night.

If there's one person in the world who has little room to complain about trying to influence the referee by nagging him on field he is coaching Dewsbury at the moment. 

Maybe he can use his experience to coach the lads in how they might deal with it.

• Haha 1

On 03/05/2024 at 22:42, coolie said:

Dewsbury 12 Toulouse 28

Unfortunately the slump to continue 

On a more cheery note

Next 3 games

Featherstone Home

Sheffield Away

Wakefield Away

😢😢😢😢

Sounds like a great effort by the Rams. I was urging you on. Hope this Lew Coolie we've got playing for Fev today isn't related to you😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, STEVE P said:

Calm down SP I couldn't understand all the penalties either against us.

47 minutes ago, silcoates said:

Calm down SP I couldn't understand all the penalties either against us.

I am calm now, thanks. A mega VAT and an even bigger brandy before I went to bed saw to that.

Incensed as I was last night I still wasn't necessarily blaming the ref for us losing. Against such a big, powerful and fast full time side the last quarter of the match was always going to be a serious trial.

What the referee did rob us of was a second half which was worth watching. Lucky we only paid half price to get in  because we only really saw half a match. 

• Like 1

It did seem an excessive penalty count but our pack was nowhere near as strong as theirs and when we're trying to stop players like that it's inevitable that we're going to have to push the rules to do so. I think if we'd scored in that first set after the break we might have pushed them close but it was an immense effort and we played some of our best rugby in years in the first half. Hookem's drop goal was superb.

Off the pitch it was a good day too, it just showed that we can pull in a good crowd when we promote a game. Just wish we did it every match. The Stevo occasion was well organised too, and after match presentations, so well done to all concerned. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, silcoates said:

Not being argumentative about your comments on the half time music, but would be interested to know what you'd like to hear 🎸🎷🎺🎶 ?? 

4 hours ago, J Phil Loxton said:

Sounds like a great effort by the Rams. I was urging you on. Hope this Lew Coolie we've got playing for Fev today isn't related to you😂😂😂😂😂😂

Has it happens🤔😉😉😉😉😉

• Haha 1

We have to be more smarter

We're not learning from mistakes

And us making mistakes is leading to the opposition scoring points

From the stands the penalties in the Toulouse 20 were bordering in bias to the point in the second half we pressured them in their 20 the penalties could be predicted before the ref blew, giving a 6 again or penalty is a total sin, giving penalties away with ball in hand is another total sin, you've to start punishing players for unnecessary penalties.. Only way they'll learn, we are not evolving, it wouldn't have taken an idiot that we were getting nothing from the ref, Toulouse on reflection got away with everything we didn't, we have to play what we see, if the ref is ######, take it onboard and tighten up, and not make the same mistakes, think it was Blind Side Johnny once said "Madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

We're madness... Not the catchy 80s Ska band... But a team not learning

I still think this season is

ONE STEP BEYOND🤔

And I'm hoping our next 3 games against Featherstone, Sheffield, Wakefield are not an

EMBARRASSMENT 🤔

And not wishing to be a wet blanket but last week against Doncaster we let in three tries straight from the ptb with dummy half sneaks. Yesterday the same thing once again.

This is surely basic stuff and I am hopeful that DM will have spotted it.

1 hour ago, Therein73 said:

Not being argumentative about your comments on the half time music, but would be interested to know what you'd like to hear 🎸🎷🎺🎶 ?? 

No doubt someone will suggest banjo music for the next home game!