Magic Weekend wins major North East award

Great news!

It was an excellent Magic Weekend, and I agree with Walter that this year's should be even better.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Great news :-)

2016's Magic weekend in Newcastle should be even bigger. Got a good feeling that the magic weekend has found its permanent home.

"Permanent Home" ? I think London should get a couple of Magic Weekends. I like the idea of the Emirates Stadium or Olympic Stadium.

Having the 'Magic Weekend' in London would be a real new world for this event.

​​ 

​THE NORTH OF ENGLAND WITH A POPULATION OF NEARLY 17 MILLION PEOPLE IS THE TRUE EXPANSION AREA FOR RUGBY LEAGUE........IF IT CAN'T EXPAND HERE, WHERE CAN IT EXPAND?

​                       

​                        

"Permanent Home" ? I think London should get a couple of Magic Weekends. I like the idea of the Emirates Stadium or Olympic Stadium.

I've been to all of the venues where magic has been staged, Newcastle had a lot going for it, not least the stadium itself, which is compact for the size of it.

I do think the Olympic Stadium could be a good option, although it is much more spread out in the bowl I think the area surrounding lends itself to a much better fanzone (an area where Newcastle is pretty weak).

Maybe alternate venues each year between London and Newcastle?

What I particularly like about Newcastle is that it could genuinely support a good pro team. We already have evidence of that in the Thunder's successful first season - with patience and vision we could use Magic as a springboard for the Thunder to step up again...

What I particularly like about Newcastle is that it could genuinely support a good pro team. We already have evidence of that in the Thunder's successful first season - with patience and vision we could use Magic as a springboard for the Thunder to step up again...

Totally agree. Manchester gets the grand final, London the challenge cup and Newcastle magic weekend. Great spread throughout England for Rugby leagues top events. Magic weekend can only help and boost thunders development in the north east.

What about the Midlands, South West, East Anglia, France, Dublin...... you can't say after one year in Newcastle with decent weather, that it must remain there for ever and a day.

​​ 

​THE NORTH OF ENGLAND WITH A POPULATION OF NEARLY 17 MILLION PEOPLE IS THE TRUE EXPANSION AREA FOR RUGBY LEAGUE........IF IT CAN'T EXPAND HERE, WHERE CAN IT EXPAND?

​                       

​                        

If Magic Weekend becomes the kind of event that cities are willing to make major bids (including financial and advertising commitments) to host, then that's all for the good.

New hosts eager to get in on the event and previous hosts wanting to bring the Magic back again.

Thousands of (mostly) well-behaved fans for a Summer weekend, with all the benefits that would bring to hotels, restaurants, pubs and pie-makers. A colourful, multi-team event that gets their city positive, value-for-money publicity on TV, radio and in the papers, without having to pay for a massive police presence.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Much as I would love to see MW in London, I do think it needs to be in Newcastle for a couple more years. We need to build RL in the NE as much as we do in London. If they perform well on the field there is excellent potential for good crowds at Thunder. MW can only help that.

Is great for thunder our crowds are already up alot since we moved from Gateshead to newcastle, Kingston Park is a quality stadium, widnes fans said after last week's game that Kingston Park is better than Castleford and Wakefield's stadiums, rugby league will only get better in Newcastle.

Is great for thunder our crowds are already up alot since we moved from Gateshead to newcastle, Kingston Park is a quality stadium, widnes fans said after last week's game that Kingston Park is better than Castleford and Wakefield's stadiums, rugby league will only get better in Newcastle.

That's exactly why other areas should get 'Magic Weekend' if its helping expand the game in Newcastle, then London,Bristol, Brighton the Midlands ect should all get a crack at it.

​​ 

​                       

​                        

I don't understand why Newcastle don't get to play a game at Magic. That would really give the game a boost, given the number of Geordies who attended last year. Magic accommodated 7 games when SL was 14 teams, so why not have Geordies kick it off.

Manc RL, stadia in Brighton and Bristol probably to small. Needs to be at some of the countries premier stadiums or SL would seem to small-fry.

I don't understand why Newcastle don't get to play a game at Magic. That would really give the game a boost, given the number of Geordies who attended last year. Magic accommodated 7 games when SL was 14 teams, so why not have Geordies kick it off.

I agree, and I hope the RFL are considering the idea. What a thrill it would be for the Thunder players and their opponents to play in front of a huge crowd at St James' Park!

Remember how good it was for the women's international series to be included in the Auckland Nines?

It would introduce the club to potential new fans too, as a longer-term benefit. Locals who have gone to Magic because it is a big event, but just needed a gentle push to persuade them to attend a few regular-season Thunder matches during the rest of the year.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Manc RL, stadia in Brighton and Bristol probably to small. Needs to be at some of the countries premier stadiums or SL would seem to small-fry.

I think they do a similar thing to Skolar's Friday Night Lights match before the Challenge Cup and play their league game the night before MW. From memory, like us, they get a fair five figure crowd.

The problem we have is that when we move around to new places, we don't seem to build any kind of legacy afterwards. There's no strategy. Surely if we eventually move on, we need to leave an event there in its place.

Why don't we aim to move to a new ground (I think London would be a great venue) and leave a mid-season England match and 9s tournament for the year after? Create new events. Take advantage of the area.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

I know it's a small point, but what I really liked about the link was when it said "plenty enjoyed a weekend of top-class rugby held at..."  Er, so it must mean RU as it only says 'rugby'.  Well no, it means RL.  What a refreshing change from the 'rugby' + RU norm!

My Sunday Sun column on the growing rugby league support in the North East http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/other-sport/rugby-league/magic-weekend-takes-north-east-10740875

nice article

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

I've been to all of the venues where magic has been staged, Newcastle had a lot going for it, not least the stadium itself, which is compact for the size of it.

I do think the Olympic Stadium could be a good option, although it is much more spread out in the bowl I think the area surrounding lends itself to a much better fanzone (an area where Newcastle is pretty weak).

Maybe alternate venues each year between London and Newcastle?

The trouble with OS in London is that I understand West Ham are less accommodating than Newcastle United

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

Archived