Ed Miliband

• Please log in to reply
777 replies to this topic

#141 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,760 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:26 PM

A lot of people in the centre and the left feel let down since the last general election. I vowed never to vote for Labour again after taking us into Iraq and voted Lib Dem in the last two general elections. However, they go and throw their hat in with the devil and we have this shower of ###### in charge mucking things up. I'm now finding myself going back to Labour because this country is steering to the right and it worries me, however Labour aren't exactly on the left these days.

Edited by Severus, 07 June 2013 - 11:26 PM.

Fides invicta triumphat

#142 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

I don't think people are waiting for a party like that, but it's clear that a lot of Labour supporters feel let down by the direction the party is taking. People aren't expecting a New Jerusalem but they at least want the Labour leadership to be challenging the Tory narrative and, more importantly, coming up with alternative strategies.

The least worst for UK government? Perhaps, fractionally, but only because the membership and support might just keep them in check, and might just steer the leadership away from such policies as the bedroom tax.

Of course, the leadership of a political party have to walk a thin line between keeping the party members happy and appealing to enough people who aren't party members to win elections. 

And winning elections matters.   National politics is an all or nothing game.  You are in government, or you are one level above playing Sim City.

That's me.  I'm done.

#143 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:00 AM

Lovely bunch in the Labour Party, full of brotherly love.

http://order-order.c...lotting-dinner/

A classic Guido non-story if you spend two minutes digging into it.

That's me.  I'm done.

#144 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,786 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

A classic Guido non-story if you spend two minutes digging into it.

Yes, that's why a Labour Party  constituency secretary wrote a letter of objection and complaint to Labour HQ about the cynical practice of the neighbouring constituency's election-candidate trying to interfere in the election of its own parliamentary candidate.

Steve, I'm sure you are a decent bloke but, when it comes to defending the Labour Party, you are the equivalent of Melanie-Phillips-discussing-Israel.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#145 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,939 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 12:25 PM

pro Europe, wishing to see a decent  housing policy incl CGT on sale of first homes as well as second home, anti-HS2, pro-Heathrow extension, free enterprise with effective safety net, atheist who wishes disestablishment of Church,  pro elected 2nd chamber,  advocate of smaller govt except as above, happy with current immigartion polici if not execution, pro nuclear and wind/tide energy, seeks political party. No liars, fools, idiots, Burhnams, Milibands, Dromeys, UKIP-lite Tories or random Lib-Dems need apply.

• ckn likes this

#146 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:34 AM

Steve, I'm sure you are a decent bloke but, when it comes to defending the Labour Party, you are the equivalent of Melanie-Phillips-discussing-Israel.

Harsh but probably fair...

My actual point was that the story as presented by Guido on his website doesn't quite match up to the reality of the rules of the Labour Party.  He seems to be confusing the AGM, at which the constituency officers are appointed with a selection meeting, at which candidates are appointed.   That business about lots of new members joining up has nothing to do with trying to fiddle the election for parliamentary candidate - you have to be a member for several months before you're allowed a vote in such matters.  You cannot join one day and vote for your mate the next.

It's not really a political story, it's just tittle-tattle of almost no-consequence.  Par for the course on that website.

That's me.  I'm done.

#147 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:01 AM

Labour can achieve radical change amid austerity, says Ed Miliband

Edited by Griff9of13, 22 June 2013 - 10:05 AM.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#148 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:11 AM

Partial quote from the article: ".... it shows a government can be remembered in difficult times for doing great things."

Of course they can. If they put country before party. I don't think any British government since Attlee has done that, which is partly why they are so despised.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#149 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:29 PM

"No more boom and bust".

#150 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,762 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:51 PM

A solid policy for Labour should be "Look at the state of the Tories.  Go on... look at them!  Frothy mouthed idiots, and that's the sensible sort, the rest give swivel-eyed loons the world over a bad name.  Would you really trust them with your vote just so they can give even more tax cuts to the rich while their NHS policy is to dump you in a skip if you get too ill?"

What an article like that does is create more questions than answers.  For example, if he accepts the Coalition spending plans but also wants to transfer more power to local government, is he going to reverse the cuts to councils?  From 2010 to 2013 there have been 40% cuts in grants to councils on average and a further 10% cut to come by 2015 at the least.  Councils can barely operate these days, never mind take on more responsibilities.

Come on Ed... give us something we can hang our hat on that's not waffle like this or trying to out-right the Tory right.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#151 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,056 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:54 PM

Of course they can. If they put country before party. I don't think any British government since Attlee has done that, which is partly why they are so despised.

Attlee (the greatest 20th century PM IMO) put country before party, and instituted earth shifting social change, lost his majority in the 1950 General Election and lost power a year later.  Labour were not in government again for 13 years.  The Tories took advantage of the years of austerity and reamained in power on the crest of the post war boom, whilst running with Attlee's changes. "Never having it so good" thanks to Attlee's post war policies.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#152 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,760 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

A solid policy for Labour should be "Look at the state of the Tories.  Go on... look at them!  Frothy mouthed idiots, and that's the sensible sort, the rest give swivel-eyed loons the world over a bad name.  Would you really trust them with your vote just so they can give even more tax cuts to the rich while their NHS policy is to dump you in a skip if you get too ill?"

As someone who is probably going to vote Labour at the next GE I really hope Labour don't start negative campaigning. I want them to develop policies that are deliverable and unlike the other lot have the best interests of the country in mind rather than pointing out that the Tory's really are a crazy bunch.
Fides invicta triumphat

#153 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,939 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

What an article like that does is create more questions than answers.  For example, if he accepts the Coalition spending plans but also wants to transfer more power to local government, is he going to reverse the cuts to councils?  From 2010 to 2013 there have been 40% cuts in grants to councils on average and a further 10% cut to come by 2015 at the least.  Councils can barely operate these days, never mind take on more responsibilities.

Come on Ed... give us something we can hang our hat on that's not waffle like this or trying to out-right the Tory right.

Councils can barely operate these days

That because too many of them ###### your money away on the wrong things. 

I give you the arrogant. incompetent, undemocratic, secretive  wasters at Cheshire East as just one example out of many. see http://www.creweguar...and_Lyme_Green/ for a heavily "redacted" version. 

#154 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,022 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 01:44 PM

Par for the course on that website.

Ever since he fell in love with Ukip and started writing columns in the proper press it's gone beyond parody. Shame, really.

Still, it provides gainful employment for the otherwise unhireable Harry Cole.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#155 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:45 PM

Attlee (the greatest 20th century PM IMO) put country before party, and instituted earth shifting social change, lost his majority in the 1950 General Election and lost power a year later.  Labour were not in government again for 13 years.  The Tories took advantage of the years of austerity and reamained in power on the crest of the post war boom, whilst running with Attlee's changes. "Never having it so good" thanks to Attlee's post war policies.

I am struck by the similarity with our great game. Fantastic game with awful P.R. vs Fantastic government with awful P.R.?

As a game, we deserve better. As a nation we deserve better. Hope we find it.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#156 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:32 PM

Well, if he's going to 'decentralise' and give power to councils, he'll be giving them the ability to raise their own finances. Surely?

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#157 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:29 AM

As someone who is probably going to vote Labour at the next GE I really hope Labour don't start negative campaigning. I want them to develop policies that are deliverable and unlike the other lot have the best interests of the country in mind rather than pointing out that the Tory's really are a crazy bunch.

So you're going to vote for something despite not knowing what their policies are? That, right there, is the problem with voters in the UK.

#158 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,760 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:40 AM

So you're going to vote for something despite not knowing what their policies are? That, right there, is the problem with voters in the UK.

That's true, many voters vote because their politics agree generally with the politics of the main political parties. Being a leftie I was a labour voter until the Iraq war where I switched to lib dem. I will never vote lib dem again after they enabled the Tories to take charge.

Edited by Severus, 23 June 2013 - 09:41 AM.

Fides invicta triumphat

#159 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:12 AM

That's true, many voters vote because their politics agree generally with the politics of the main political parties. Being a leftie I was a labour voter until the Iraq war where I switched to lib dem. I will never vote lib dem again after they enabled the Tories to take charge.

So you're not voting for actual policies then. It's because you don't like the Tories.

#160 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,631 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:26 AM

he said probably, not that he was going to

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users