RFL congratulates Richard Lewis CBE

The RFL has congratulated Richard Lewis after its former Chairman was made a CBE in the Queen’s Birthday Honours List.

Lewis, who left the RFL in April 2012 after 10 years to become Chief Executive of The All England Lawn Tennis Club at Wimbledon, was also Chairman of Sport England until April this year and receives his CBE in recognition of his services to sports administration.

Click here to view the article

League Express is on sale every Monday, in shops (UK only), on print subscription (worldwide) and online for desktop, tablet and smartphone
Follow us on Twitter/X @leagueexpress and TikTok @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

Correct,there`s no way he would`ve got an award had he still been involved with the working man`s game of Rugby League!!

It isn't a 'working man's' game

It's a game for everybody

The image that you are perpetuating is one that holds the game back

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

Congratulations to Mr Lewis. He may have made some decisions that were unpopular with some supporters but there is no doubting his overall impact on the game has been positive dragging the RFL out of the abyss post-2000. I do worry Wood and Rimmer are dragging it back there at times...

Richard Lewis did a fantastic job. Only two mistakes were made in his tenure:

1/ getting rid of automatic promotion and relegation

2/ getting rid of GB (I understand some of the funding reasoning for greater focus on England but we should at least have retained Lions tours every four years).

Oddly enough (or perhaps not bearing in mind the time of year) I saw him on a bus in Wimbledon about 2 weeks ago.

2/ getting rid of GB (I understand some of the funding reasoning for greater focus on England but we should at least have retained Lions tours every four years).

Oddly enough (or perhaps not bearing in mind the time of year) I saw him on a bus in Wimbledon about 2 weeks ago.

This getting rid of GB is a popular misconception. Lewis never said that there would be no more GB. He said he felt it was best to have it as a touring side, and that we needed time to build the England brand. I'd say that over the last few years we've sort of done that. If we have a good world cup and Wales do well too, then I'd expect to the a tour for GB in the next few years. Now that will be a trip worth going on!

Both of which in my view was the correct decision, the GB crowds tell the story and they weren't much to write home about.

Both of which in my view was the correct decision, the GB crowds tell the story and they weren't much to write home about.

Getting rid of P&R has been devastating for fans outside SL (removing any hope and interest) as well as for fans of SL clubs like London (the rest of this SL season is meaningless - I've stopped going to the league matches).

GB tours should have stayed

Getting rid of P&R has been devastating for fans outside SL (removing any hope and interest) as well as for fans of SL clubs like London (the rest of this SL season is meaningless - I've stopped going to the league matches).

Do you have any stats or evidence to back this up?

GB tours should have stayed

Wasn't he in charge at the RFL when they stepped in and saved your club?

I'd expect every person in charge to do their upmost to save clubs.

I'm not sure how you work out that Richard Lewis or any other RL official saved "my club" though.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

When my son played junior rugby, there were many issues around that concerned me - particularly about the future of the game and its administration...

I wrote a letter to Richard Lewis outlining my points and asked to discuss them further.

I was invited to a meeting with him at Red Hall.

We spent a good 3 hours or so in debate and conversation.

I can tell you for a fact that his passion for Rugby League was as "up there" as any could ask for - and that passion was also embraced by his family too..

Because he came from a neutral background - he held no bias views on what was best for the game - he took it forward based on as clean a sheet we have had to date..

The current set of "leaders" come nowhere near in terms of intelligence, presentability, professionalism and vision.

You may not agree with or even recognise what he achieved - but there is not one person at Red Hall now who comes near him.

And that should be a major concern for all of us..