Let's go back to the old challenge cup format

As the title says,let's go back to the good old format of the challenge cup,not seeded as it is to day ,amateurs ,minnows ,championship teams against the super league clubs, from round one proper,give every-body a fair go.

When was that last the format?

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

As the title says,let's go back to the good old format of the challenge cup,not seeded as it is to day ,amateurs ,minnows ,championship teams against the super league clubs, from round one proper,give every-body a fair go.

hmmm

if champ1 teams can put 70 on the amateurs what would top end SL teams do?

Not to mention the physical mis-match!

hmmm

if champ1 teams can put 70 on the amateurs what would top end SL teams do?

Not to mention the physical mis-match!

Exactly. And how many people would want to go and watch said mismatch? While we are at it, we could have the challenge cup in the middle of winter.

Exactly. And how many people would want to go and watch said mismatch? While we are at it, we could have the challenge cup in the middle of winter.

Indeed and actually a SL club would hardly put a top team out for a game against an amateur or L1 club.

When was that last the format?

1903 it looks like from this book here. From the 70s til early 90s all sides started from round one but only two amateur clubs were invited (prior to this 2 or 3 clubs were left after the qualifiers).

As its stands no more than ever Amatuer clubs have a chance to progress further than the past few years as they were stopped from being drawn against each other. Now with it being open albeit seeded as per which round tiers enter. Amatuer clubs can be drawn against each other on the way to face SL opposition

scrap the challenge cup as is and split it into 3 competitions...the challenge cup for SL teams,challenge bowl for championship teams and challenge shield for league one & amatuer teams with a finals day at wembley

simple

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

Back in the "good old days" when Rugby was part time, there was a difference in skills and fitness between the top players and the amateurs, but the strength levels were not dissimilar (all working down the same pit)

Now the difference in strength and power is too much.

Well in the "good old days" of the Challenge Cup the winners of the previous season were seeded straight through to the final - hence the name "challenge cup": the winners of the knockout tournament get the right to challenge the holders for the cup.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Well in the "good old days" of the Challenge Cup the winners of the previous season were seeded straight through to the final - hence the name "challenge cup": the winners of the knockout tournament get the right to challenge the holders for the cup.

I don't think that has ever been the case. It certainly doesn't look like it if you look at the finalists from year to the next.

However, what does concern me about the Cup this year is that it is contracting. A decade ago we had scores of community clubs entering, and representation from as many as seven nations. This year the leading clubs are increasingly seeded, there is no French participation other than les Catalans, and the number of grassroots teams is the lowest for years.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

I think this is probably what is saving the Challenge Cup at the moment.

That, tradition, and the millions of TV viewers it attracts, and the fact that it is a comp known throughout the country and in Aus.

The other rounds are in need of a boost, but it would be idiotic to get rid of it as the final is still hugely successful in comparison to any other competition we have in this country other than maybe the GF.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

There's still nothing like the Challenge Cup, IMO.

I've flown back from Oz just for the cup final - I'd never do that for the Grand Final - and I'd always get up at stupid o clock here to watch it on tv (I just record the GF).

I've been down to many a Cup final weekend in London - Ive never been to a GF that my team wasn't in.

There's just something about the occasion and the atmosphere which is something special.

Agree that something maybe needs doing with the earlier rounds to try to attract a few more people, but there's no way it should be scrapped. The CC final is a very, very special occasion on the sporting calendar - we should be proud of it and embrace it :-)

That, tradition, and the millions of TV viewers it attracts, and the fact that it is a comp known throughout the country and in Aus.

The other rounds are in need of a boost, but it would be idiotic to get rid of it as the final is still hugely successful in comparison to any other competition we have in this country other than maybe the GF.

You do realise that the GF IS THE ONLY OTHER COMPETITION WE HAVE dont you sausage.

I don't think that has ever been the case. It certainly doesn't look like it if you look at the finalists from year to the next.

However, what does concern me about the Cup this year is that it is contracting. A decade ago we had scores of community clubs entering, and representation from as many as seven nations. This year the leading clubs are increasingly seeded, there is no French participation other than les Catalans, and the number of grassroots teams is the lowest for years.

Ironically the number of amateur clubs from outside the NCL has gone up from last season but the number of NCL clubs has been slashed drastically and the cup still starts absurdly early

Archived