So,what next?

Seaton Sandy

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my main priority would still be a half back who could organise the side , someone in the ray ashton/daren holt mould .whatever peoples thoughts on jarrod sammutt are , he is not that type of player . he likes to play too much off the cuff , he scores great individual tries but can go missing for large periods , he is a bit of a maverick , goes for interceptions , which are great when they come off , but if not , it leaves a big hole in the defence and tries usually occur .after all that , i would still keep him , but we need a half back desperately .

my main priority would still be a half back who could organise the side , someone in the ray ashton/daren holt mould .whatever peoples thoughts on jarrod sammutt are , he is not that type of player . he likes to play too much off the cuff , he scores great individual tries but can go missing for large periods , he is a bit of a maverick , goes for interceptions , which are great when they come off , but if not , it leaves a big hole in the defence and tries usually occur .after all that , i would still keep him , but we need a half back desperately .

Not many Darren Holts around locally, and we don't need another traveller like Ashton. He was a great half but what he did on the field was compromised by issues like vanishing motor vehicles and dodgy signings such as the totally useless Stuart Chick--think Ray found him hitch-hiking on the way up.

The last time the club were in this situation it was used as a prompt to sweep clean, change the whole outlook at the club and basically start from scratch. We need to do the exact same thing, the club has stagnated for years and things obviously need to change. If we had stayed up we would be facing the exact same thing next year, and probably the year after that. We are in the bottom 6 clubs in the Championship, and the distance between that 6 and the rest will just grow year on year unless one of the clubs manages to find a major investor. We arent going to lsoe fans dropping down, there are no fans to lose. The die hards are there now and will be there next season. A winning team may even see an increase in attendances, strangely. So, new investors/ideas into the club, build a young squad with a couple of the seniors being kept. I`m fairly confident in saying Vievers wont be there, so that now should be the priority. The club need to send messages out to us fans now as to what to expect for next season, what direction they are going to take, what future plans we have etc. Get that message into the press, make a positive from a negative. Dropping isnt the end of the club some seem to think (hope?), handled correctly it can be the beginning of a bright new future. 

The last time the club were in this situation it was used as a prompt to sweep clean, change the whole outlook at the club and basically start from scratch. We need to do the exact same thing, the club has stagnated for years and things obviously need to change. If we had stayed up we would be facing the exact same thing next year, and probably the year after that. We are in the bottom 6 clubs in the Championship, and the distance between that 6 and the rest will just grow year on year unless one of the clubs manages to find a major investor. We arent going to lsoe fans dropping down, there are no fans to lose. The die hards are there now and will be there next season. A winning team may even see an increase in attendances, strangely. So, new investors/ideas into the club, build a young squad with a couple of the seniors being kept. I`m fairly confident in saying Vievers wont be there, so that now should be the priority. The club need to send messages out to us fans now as to what to expect for next season, what direction they are going to take, what future plans we have etc. Get that message into the press, make a positive from a negative. Dropping isnt the end of the club some seem to think (hope?), handled correctly it can be the beginning of a bright new future. 

Great Post

And with a rebuild employ the services of young Cumbrian talent (Who would be chuffed to wear the shirt) that will have a chance in the lower league to showboat their skills and rugby brains.

Not many Darren Holts around locally, and we don't need another traveller like Ashton. He was a great half but what he did on the field was compromised by issues like vanishing motor vehicles and dodgy signings such as the totally useless Stuart Chick--think Ray found him hitch-hiking on the way up.

yes we know all about ray ashtons moments of madness , but in his first year as player coach , he dragged us from bottom of the league to 6th in the table , and but for a dubious knock on given against neil rooney on the way to scoring a winning try away at salford , he would have got us to old trafford ! not bad don t you think? and apart from stuart chick  ,we signed ken kerr , ian mclean ,mark roskell , ian scott ,paddy tuimavave and dean williams......bring me another ray ashton anytime !

Well I am very encouraged about the news I am hearing, only rumours granted but if these come to fruition I see a bright future for Town. Lets all be positive and back the Town as much as possible, I am sure things will work out and we all be pleased with the outcome. 

He hasn't put it in since the pay cut. Speaks volumes.

Sammut is one player that will not have had his pay cut.

dont let facts get in the way of a good whinge and slagging off though

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

yes we know all about ray ashtons moments of madness , but in his first year as player coach , he dragged us from bottom of the league to 6th in the table , and but for a dubious knock on given against neil rooney on the way to scoring a winning try away at salford , he would have got us to old trafford ! not bad don t you think? and apart from stuart chick  ,we signed ken kerr , ian mclean ,mark roskell , ian scott ,paddy tuimavave and dean williams......bring me another ray ashton anytime !

Yep- I was around for all of the above but it was the Club who sourced those great talents-Ray was more inclined to blur the Coach/Agent role when acquiring some very dubious travellers. 2 of his signings I mistook for ball boys--they had as much involvement. He did have a knack for one-liners though. I recall a game at Carlisle where they beat us courtesy of a refereeing performance worthy of a Warren Turley -Ray joined the ref as we walked to the changing rooms -"Bring the hammer and nails next time and crucify us properly !  

Someone posted recently that if Town launch a renaissance we would need to engage the local media . Well if Border Craic n' Deekaboot is anything to go by we know what the lion's share of coverage is likely to be ---Peebles -Currie -Gala -the Innerleithen ladies touch rugby 7's and the half-time sheep dog fight.  Pathetic! 

Someone posted recently that if Town launch a renaissance we would need to engage the local media . Well if Border Craic n' Deekaboot is anything to go by we know what the lion's share of coverage is likely to be ---Peebles -Currie -Gala -the Innerleithen ladies touch rugby 7's and the half-time sheep dog fight.  Pathetic! 

They had the opportunity to engage with the local media and communicate to all the loyal fans that did not travel to Sheffield but no they hid away and wouldn't come out to play!!! No apology or excuse shows what they think of you all.

They had the opportunity to engage with the local media and communicate to all the loyal fans that did not travel to Sheffield but no they hid away and wouldn't come out to play!!! No apology or excuse shows what they think of you all.

Just like James Coyle in fact. It's not 5 minutes since your forum was awash with insurrection til you got shot of him. Now you've got a dog's chance of dodging the gallows you'd think you'd won the Shield!

oh dear. You've got a very short memory.

ahhhh premature gloating at its best , see ya in Champ 1 Marrafan , I wonder if Haven will survive , watch out for major development news and a fresh consortium to push town forward in the coming days , towns plan is already in full swing , hope you dont get too dazzled in the headlights  :onthequiet:

ahhhh premature gloating at its best , see ya in Champ 1 Marrafan , I wonder if Haven will survive , watch out for major development news and a fresh consortium to push town forward in the coming days , towns plan is already in full swing , hope you dont get too dazzled in the headlights  :onthequiet:

Where is there any gloating in my comment? Nothing to do with survival or anything on field. Two wrongs do not make a right. Losing is a part of the game and whichever camp you are in the people in those positions should at least have the grace to speak to local radio and to the fans. (Both clubs). It was wrong when Coyles did it and it was wrong on Sunday full stop!. Will get my sunglasses back out now!!

so if you arent gloating then why direct your comment at the whole club and its supporters ? you ended with the words ..."No apology or excuse shows what they think of you all ..."  .. so your comment obviously wasn't directed at the coach or a small group of individuals , enjoy your great win against the rams it was a good effort but do learn to control your excitement 

so if you arent gloating then why direct your comment at the whole club and its supporters ? you ended with the words ..."No apology or excuse shows what they think of you all ..."  .. so your comment obviously wasn't directed at the coach or a small group of individuals , enjoy your great win against the rams it was a good effort but do learn to control your excitement 

i think he meant the coach or directors should have addressed the loyal fans via radio don't think he meant out by it coz were still a long shot from safety it might happen it may not but we're in no position to gloat

It's been tweeted by BBC Cumbria Sport . Announcement in the next few days.

Archived