23 Jun: SL: Huddersfield Giants v Wigan Warriors KO 8pm

Whoever wins this one, will take a massive step towards the super 8's imo.

Giants are on a roll with 3 consecutive wins and 5 out of 7 recently.

Going to be tough for us with having Mamo out as everyone has been saying his energy and appitite have been a major factor amongst many to our upturn in fortunes recently. Would expect either Darnell or possibly Rankin to slot in at FB and the rest of the backs being unchanged.

Presume Ta'ai will be an out and out replacement for Rapira who has a 1 match ban.

Gonna go home win by 4 - 8 pts.

Losing Mamo is a blow but Darnell is a good understudy, and Mamo isn't the only catalyst for our upturn 

Leeming still in the squad is a massive relief, and I'm much happier now he is playing

Rapira has been excellent in recent weeks too, but Taai is superb and been sorely missed. 

It'll be a tough game, given we drew at Wigan with a much misfiring team I'll go for a narrow home win and a cracking game 

Either way, I'm feeling confident that we will make the top 8 now 

Giants 19 man squad;

McGillvary, Cudjoe, Gaskell, Murphy, Brough, Hinchcliffe, Wakeman, Ferguson, Leeming, Ikahihifo, Roberts, Ta’ai, Clough, Mason, Dickinson, S Wood, McIntosh, Mellor & Ridyard.

Would expect Wood & Dickinson to miss out on the 17.

No O'Brian, so presume with Ta'ai back Stone will interchange Leeming & Hinchcliffe @ 9 unless Kruis is to play for a full 80mins.

Really happy that Martyn Ridyard will be here until the end of the season

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

I can't see beyond a home win, with Huddersfield following the recent trend of building up an unassailable lead, and a couple of late Wigan scores to narrow the gap. Huddersfield are a really good side, better than 7th. They have good balance, speed and power. In contrast, Wigan can be a fantastic side, when their key men are all fit and well. But not now.

There are a few reasons that tonight's defeat will mark our worst run for over 100 years. First, we have lost the resilience in defence that we used to take for granted - from about 20 minutes into the Trinity game, we just snapped as a team. Second, the returnees will take a while to be good and this week is too soon. Third, and most significantly, the Giants are really good. Fourth, as a club we are yet to realize or accept how much trouble we are in, with the club still talking about the top 4. We have no divine right to win 10 games in a row. No one can do that in this day and age. It is a combination of willful blindness and arrogance, but I think one more rout will finally make us see the light and treat the rest of the first part of the season as the battle for 8th it is.

All is far from doom of course. I would trade a top 4 for winning the WCC, and we could even reach a point where we have scraped 8th and can focus entirely on getting to Wembley. Which would make another wonderful year.

Wow 

Is it really that bad at the piedome?

If the giants win it'll be a close game, hard fought with lots of skill, it's dry so for but maybe a bit greasy so it could come down to discipline and handling 

And of course...the ref..

Half our salary cap sat in the stand again, ( yet no mention of it in any match reports, compared to when certain other teams have a few top rank players missing) , some favourable decisions and yet the world champions still can't beat us.

Good game, though not a lot in it, we were the better side for 20-25 minutes, then i presume Mr Wane "had a word as he wasn't satisfied" :)

13 hours ago, Ant said:

Wigan getting pasted 

O'Loughlin throws a tantrum at the ref that would see other players sent off

Ref starts blowing his whistle.

Funny old game.

44 minutes ago, meast said:

Good game, though not a lot in it, we were the better side for 20-25 minutes, then i presume Mr Wane "had a word as he wasn't satisfied" :)

41 minutes ago, meast said:

I thought Sam Tomkins and O'Loughlin were superb for Wigan, never gave Mr Hewer a seconds peace all night!, that's about all they did mind :)

^^^ :rolleyes: 

25 minutes ago, meast said:

who's blaming the ref?

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

According to Wane, "Both teams could have won it."   Nah, i've checked up and only one team can ever win, Shaun.

and then this: “We weren’t good enough, there were too many penalties and too many errors."

Isn't that his job to put it right? He's cut and pasted this comment  from the previous 7 games but clearly the team is not listening to him

3 minutes ago, JohnM said:

According to Wane, "Both teams could have won it."   Nah, i've checked up and only one team can ever win, Shaun.

and then this: “We weren’t good enough, there were too many penalties and too many errors."

Isn't that his job to put it right? He's cut and pasted this comment  from the previous 7 games but clearly the team is not listening to him

Imagine what he would have said if his team weren't allowed to stand offside, not square and headhunt  ;)

Archived