27 Jul: SL: Wigan Warriors v Catalans Dragons KO 8pm

Who will win?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Catalans Dragons
    • Draw

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/07/18 at 19:00

50 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

Half their team rested by McNamara. Wigan to win by plenty.

A healthy  dose of sarcasm,  but if it is so, it shows up these not so super eights. And of course Saints can afford to rest a couple or three against Wire, should they want to...

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

A healthy  dose of sarcasm,  but if it is so, it shows up these not so super eights. And of course Saints can afford to rest a couple or three against Wire, should they want to...

To be fair to Father Ted, it isn't sarcasm.  The players MM lists are indeed being rested, and explicitly because of the impending cup semi-final (vide the Dragons' website).  I am pleased that the challenge cup engagement is being taken seriously, at least by Les Dracs!

13 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

To be fair to Father Ted, it isn't sarcasm.  The players MM lists are indeed being rested, and explicitly because of the impending cup semi-final (vide the Dragons' website).  I am pleased that the challenge cup engagement is being taken seriously, at least by Les Dracs!

The Cats are being realistic about it but as i have said it devalues the 8's which are exposed as silly. Sooner it goes the better. I would prefer a plain 10 team division with 3 games per team, and a top 5 using the MacIntyre system.  It's well used and well understood and it in some ways, with the 2nd chance system, it allows for the unevenness of the home and away variations.

If 12 teams, just stick to 22/23 games. I do not really see 12 viable teams but would settle for it. Given tv monies then (maybe) extra games is less useful for gate receipts.

Wigan will hope to win, if only to get back some form and consistency.  This may count against them against a weakened side and they themselves will be cautious about injuries.  

4 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

The Cats are being realistic about it but as i have said it devalues the 8's which are exposed as silly. Sooner it goes the better. I would prefer a plain 10 team division with 3 games per team, and a top 5 using the MacIntyre system.  It's well used and well understood and it in some ways, with the 2nd chance system, it allows for the unevenness of the home and away variations.

If 12 teams, just stick to 22/23 games. I do not really see 12 viable teams but would settle for it. Given tv monies then (maybe) extra games is less useful for gate receipts.

Wigan will hope to win, if only to get back some form and consistency.  This may count against them against a weakened side and they themselves will be cautious about injuries.  

I'm not sure your chronology is quite right here, RP.  The Dragons have not rested any players for a middle 8s game; the Wigan fixture is their last regular season one.  That said, like you, I am no fan of the current 8s formats - super or middle.  You learn something every day and - thanks to you, RP - I have learnt that the odd, slightly convoluted, Australian format is called the MacIntyre system - so, thanks!  I am not a fan of it either, to be honest. 

Clearly a play-off system is needed, as, unlike soccer, for instance, the league is not a 'pure' one.  However, I like the play-offs to be brief (not more than three weeks), of simple structure, and with every game meaning the end of the road for the loser.  I would use English rugby league's 'traditional' (?) approach of top 8, with 1 v 8, 2 v 7 and so on.  Four quarter finals, two semi-finals, and final - done!

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I'm not sure your chronology is quite right here, RP.  The Dragons have not rested any players for a middle 8s game; the Wigan fixture is their last regular season one.  That said, like you, I am no fan of the current 8s formats - super or middle.  You learn something every day and - thanks to you, RP - I have learnt that the odd, slightly convoluted, Australian format is called the MacIntyre system - so, thanks!  I am not a fan of it either, to be honest. 

Clearly a play-off system is needed, as, unlike soccer, for instance, the league is not a 'pure' one.  However, I like the play-offs to be brief (not more than three weeks), of simple structure, and with every game meaning the end of the road for the loser.  I would use English rugby league's 'traditional' (?) approach of top 8, with 1 v 8, 2 v 7 and so on.  Four quarter finals, two semi-finals, and final - done!

Runs the risk of the team finishing 8th becoming champions. No more than a top 4 playoff for mine.

Last new RL ground (96): Queensway Stadium - North Wales v South Wales 25/6/17

29 minutes ago, Black Country Wire said:

Runs the risk of the team finishing 8th becoming champions. No more than a top 4 playoff for mine.

True, but I think a bit of risk is what play-off competition is all about, and the odds are still heavily loaded in favour of the higher placed teams.  If team 1, with home advantage, cannot beat team 8, then maybe they don't deserve to be champions!

2 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

I've read here that Cats are resting  players.. It's their option . My guess is Wigan are looking to get some traction ready for these last 7 games

The MacIntyre System had been used extensively, certainly in Australia. It gives top teams an end of season finale but at the same time gives an edge to the leading ones. It also is supposed to give close games to say 1v2 etc and give the leading teams (who have been resiliant all season) a 'second chance. 

In our case I believe in a 5 team play off in our sized league, because because 4 is too few and 6 is too many.

Personally I do not like straight knock out play offs except for a cup competition (The Cup') where I think super league clubs should join in the round of 32.

The NRL and the AFL have played around with their  traditional top 5 system in recent years. They have expanded their competitions. But to me the top 5 works. Fat chances would be, hah, if we could create a 16 strong league and worry about whether we should extend it to 6.

Wigan leading 8:6 at half time.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

20 all now!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Final score - 25:20.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 7/26/2018 at 6:12 PM, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

True, but I think a bit of risk is what play-off competition is all about, and the odds are still heavily loaded in favour of the higher placed teams.  If team 1, with home advantage, cannot beat team 8, then maybe they don't deserve to be champions!

The point of a top 5 is that the ties are supposed to be close (not walkovers) thus giving excitement to the punters. However the higher team, if it loses, does get a 2nd chance.

Knockouts are for cups and they are all about surprises, events on the day, and 'one offs' all mixed in with big draws and associated excitement.

Playoffs are a different kettle of fish.

Archived