Burgess trials with nfl club

Copa

Great. Another rugby league player decideds to waste his talent sitting on a sideline in another code, waiting for the possibility of getting a few seconds on the field so the media can tout him as an amazing success story and encourage more of our elite to follow his footsteps.

Getting so sick of this ######. Why is playing League not good enough for our elite players? Why do they feel they have to prove themselves in other sports? Our "good for you mate go get em over there" pat on the back mentality when ever they leave doesn't help. It seems so many Rugby League fans are always so happy when our best players go off to play another sport. What kind of fan are you if your excited to see our best players playing other sports? Not a very good one.

It all comes down to money and profile. The money situation is getting better in Australia at least (not sure about England?) we are starting attract bigger sponsorship deals. Profile wise we need to start talking our game up more. Start advertising ourselves as the toughest team sport in the world. Most likely it is, with the combination of endurance, impact and add multifaceted skills there is no reason we should be leaking our talent to other sports and not attracting any. If you want to challenge yourself as an athlete the NRL should be on top of the list. Not the other way around.

Its a shame. England are building to become a real threat internationally. They need their Tom Burgess's playing league at the moment. This era we are currently in could be a turning point for the game in England if they can keep their depth and talent. They almost have the players they need to break the hoodoo and start winning international tournaments and bring the profile of league up a few notches. What more of a challenge could you need as a player? It should be an exciting time for English Rugby League players. It should be something they are desperate to be apart of. The first English team to win something big internationally in many years. What a shame some of the players don't see it that way.

I couldn't agree more B rad you are 100% correct it's Just another guy devaluing our sport in my opinion & wait for all the so called RL supporters & ex-players will wish him well and tell us how great it is .  I'm furious at my club for allowing it happen & why on earth did we just resign Tom for 3 more years when he had openly said he wanted to play in the NFL? It all seems very similar to what happened with Sam.

BBC are reporting it on the Breakfast news.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

It's just a trial people and even if he did leave England have the cover in graham, G. Burgess, hill, walmsley. At the very least let's milk it for all it's worth both here in the UK and in the US.

Great. Another rugby league player decideds to waste his talent sitting on a sideline in another code, waiting for the possibility of getting a few seconds on the field so the media can tout him as an amazing success story and encourage more of our elite to follow his footsteps.

Getting so sick of this ######. Why is playing League not good enough for our elite players? Why do they feel they have to prove themselves in other sports? Our "good for you mate go get em over there" pat on the back mentality when ever they leave doesn't help. It seems so many Rugby League fans are always so happy when our best players go off to play another sport. What kind of fan are you if your excited to see our best players playing other sports? Not a very good one.

It all comes down to money and profile. The money situation is getting better in Australia at least (not sure about England?) we are starting attract bigger sponsorship deals. Profile wise we need to start talking our game up more. Start advertising ourselves as the toughest team sport in the world. Most likely it is, with the combination of endurance, impact and add multifaceted skills there is no reason we should be leaking our talent to other sports and not attracting any. If you want to challenge yourself as an athlete the NRL should be on top of the list. Not the other way around.

Its a shame. England are building to become a real threat internationally. They need their Tom Burgess's playing league at the moment. This era we are currently in could be a turning point for the game in England if they can keep their depth and talent. They almost have the players they need to break the hoodoo and start winning international tournaments and bring the profile of league up a few notches. What more of a challenge could you need as a player? It should be an exciting time for English Rugby League players. It should be something they are desperate to be apart of. The first English team to win something big internationally in many years. What a shame some of the players don't see it that way.

And ranting and raving and acting like a child is going to keep league players from switching to Union and now the NFL how exactly? I'm a "so called" league fan who would love to see all our star players stay in the game but I'm a realist, this is unfortunately always going to happen as Union has the bigger profile on the international stage and the NFL also has the profile, money, fame and lifestyle. If he goes and it's a big if he'll be replaced by alex walmsley who IMHO is a better player and the game of RL will go on. Let's at least try and capitalize on all the media buzz and publicity. Oh and good luck tom on whatever you do.

Maybe Burgess wants to play a game that has a better international scene than RL?

Sarcasm aside if the NFL put on a Wembley style game at the Anz stadium in Sydney you know as well as I do that it would out draw Australia v England sadly.

Nonsense like profile and stages aside $eorge $urgess is what it'll be down to. He'll be on more as an also ran in the NFL and be able to afford a big 4x4 Escalade than the Aus luxury goods tax will allow. And there is no capitalising on this sort of thing. RL can't capitalise on the positives in the game let alone players who left for Australia then may leave for NY. 

My understanding of the situation from reading Maguire's comments is that he's doing his pre-season training with an NFL outfit. He's not trialling for a NFL contract.

I haven't followed Hayne's adventure because he's a NFL player and I don't follow NFL. For me it'll be the same for Burgess if he chooses that path. As for these players bringing media attention to RL or to the NRL, it seems to me that it worked the other way. I'd be interested to see Fox Sports NFL ratings in OZ for this season.

He stands no chance of making it.

NFL, unlike union, is a very very competitive sport. If you can't instinctively make the right decisions then you're no use to the team.

As for ranting and raving, this is a league forum the last time I looked - from a league perspective getting cross is an entirely proportionate response. They are a publicity shy family aren't they?

Maguire spent time in NY with the Giants among other sporting sides before going to Wigan so perhaps what Souths are reporting is true & he is just doing some training there but the sad fact is Tom has openly stated his desire to play in the NFL in the past so when you add that to this latest development  I'd say if NY think he's worth a punt then it's a shore thing he'll be the latest to exit RL. I am truly fed up with it  these blokes who use RL like a back up woman for when there first choice isn't available, that really is F%^$*d.  RL people should not except it & make excuses about the lack of internationals bla bla bla how bloody defeatist! Seriously how many AFL or NFL internationals have you seen yet there players don't go swapping codes like ours do. I believe we are doing this to ourselves through over sanitising the sport in a weird attempt to get non RL people to follow RL, What this is actually doing is turning players & die hard fans off while doing nothing to attract new support yet the clowns running the sport just wont listen & the game continues to be used up & loose it's identity.

I am with you on this - we get next to nothing from this sort of this. I think it's a bit early to conclude too much about this particular story, though.

What we should do more of is treasure the true leaguies - the Grahams, the O'Loughlins and the Peacocks - so that being an international, being a club legend is something they value more highly. If we reach a point where World Cups are loved by the players - big crowds, great coverage and fantastic events - we will have taken a step towards ensuring people aspire to spend their careers in TGG.

Professional athlete to base choices on greatest income potential shocker.

CTFD everyone.

Hmmm just like Jarrod Hayne hey?

Hmmm just like Jarrod Hayne hey?

I have no idea what a back up player in the 49ers practice special teams squad makes.

But it's his career.  He can do what he likes.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I have no idea what a back up player in the 49ers practice special teams squad makes.

But it's his career.  He can do what he likes.

I do & it is far less that what his was on at Parramatta.

& It is & he can but we don't have to wish Tom well if he goes.

1. It'll solve the salary cap problem regarding his brother!!

2. It'll help him develop transferable skills and techniques to bring back and apply in League.

3. England are flush with world class props, we can afford to lose Tom.

4. NFL is a fickle world, ask J Hayne. He dropped the ball twice, look where that got him.

5. He's a young lad, he wants to try new things, let's just be glad he's not stupid enough to take the Yawnion shilling.

Archived