The Photography Thread

On the musical front I recently caught this strange bunch in Covent Garden.

Onthefiddle-1.jpg

Onthefiddle-3hicon.jpg

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On the musical front I recently caught this strange bunch in Covent Garden.

Onthefiddle-1.jpg

Onthefiddle-3hicon.jpg

Very impressive stuff there Ed...

I really must get some stuff on t'interweb and show mesen up ;)

Vince Lombardi

"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."

"Winning isn't everything--but wanting to win is."

Copa @ May 8 2005

Rugby League: Complex game, simple rules.

Rugby Union: Complex Rules, simple game.

Lets get Folding...

http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py...e&teamnum=43780

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/tea....php?s=&t=43780

So. The gingerjon way - which is probably not the best way but it delivers the results I like is:

Open the RAW image in Photoshop Elements. Sort out any under/over exposure and white balance. Boost the clarity. Open image in the editing window.

With the image still in colour adjust first levels and the brightness & contrast. At this stage it will look somewhat unnatural in colour as I'm looking to build up contrasts (although without going crazy) - so the levels will probably move the midtones slightly and possibly drift in the under and over exposure bit. On the contrast I will probably move it within the range of +1 to +6 and move the brightness either + or - up to 4 or 5.

So that's three layers after which I flatten the image to get back to 1. Then I apply the Gradient Map which is the best tool for converting to monochrome. It's best to experiment with this - I like using the orange/red end of the filter and having it almost black but not quite.

Again flatten the image. Now go to enhance image and apply the Unsharp Mask. I tend to use: 60%, radius 1.0 pixels with 0.0 threshold - don't ask me what all that means I got there by experimenting!

Finally apply any colour filters as required which will help with the overall toning of the image. This is something that can't be done if the shot has been converted to BW or was shot in monochrome mode.

Flatten image. Save.

And that's that. Probably clear as mud. :unsure:

Just sat and read through this whole thread. Some great photos from some posters. This is absolutely top advice for getting good B&W shots. Thanks very much GJ.

Im just beginning to start to get to grips with my new Nikon D80 and its amazing capabilities.

Nowhere near ready for anyone to see the results yet.

from the footy a few years back... using a cheap digital camera..

Goes to show gear isn't everything if you have an eye and a bit of timing.

Good action shot, and the panoramic crop suits it well.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Here is a rule I invented for my wife to remember when taking shots with a digital SLR. Its simply all the things to remember before you hit the shutter button.

I think those new to digital photography will find it helpful to remember this simple word.

WATCHIT.

White balance, what are the lighting conditions.

Apature, will the apature give me the required depth of field.

Time, is shutter speed fast enough to stop shake have I room to manouveur the F Stop

Crop, What is in the frame, is there room around the edges, anything unwanted.

Height, would a higher/lower viewpoint be better i.e. shoot animals at eye level.

Iso, am I using the fastest ISO rating I can, can I adjust ISO to speed/slow up the shutter.

Take it, all the above checked and correct SHOOT.

Goes to show gear isn't everything if you have an eye and a bit of timing.

Good action shot, and the panoramic crop suits it well.

thanks...

I'd love a new camera... but such is life.

My brother is a keen underwater photographer and told me earlier today that for the first time someone has offered him some cash for one of his photos but he doesn't know how much t charge.... and a cafe near his work wants to dsiplay his shots.. .

... my mum's partner has also just won first prize in some photography competition ... all photos entered had to be taken on a pre-determined day...

I should ask them for tips as they are a resource i never use.

very crude photo .... but meant a lot to me.. a real sense of achievement to make the summit from sea leavel.. mt rinjani

rinjanihf8.jpg

i took this one over 20 years ago as a child when swimming around the beach just after dark with the camera.. not the best focus or light but have always liked it

bodysurfingfw3.jpg

thanks...

I'd love a new camera... but such is life.

My brother is a keen underwater photographer and told me earlier today that for the first time someone has offered him some cash for one of his photos but he doesn't know how much t charge.... and a cafe near his work wants to dsiplay his shots.. .

... my mum's partner has also just won first prize in some photography competition ... all photos entered had to be taken on a pre-determined day...

I should ask them for tips as they are a resource i never use.

Asking for advice is always good but more important is taking photographs as it really is something were practice and lots of it helps.

Once you have taken your photographs though better still is to get someone who is a good photographer to critique them. Pointers to what want wrong or as to how a tweak here and there could improve your shots is the most valuable advice going. Never be afraid to show your photographs to someone who knows what they are doing and ask their opinion and advice.

very crude photo .... but meant a lot to me.. a real sense of achievement to make the summit from sea leavel.. mt rinjani

i took this one over 20 years ago as a child when swimming around the beach just after dark with the camera.. not the best focus or light but have always liked it

You have an eye for a shot, you should take more.

If you have a good eye then you can learn a lot with the simplist of cameras, good gear makes life easier, but having the restrictions of a compact camera will help you learn more about positioning, composition and light than any camera bag full of lenses and bodies ever will.

Aren't people creative.

Love this thread.

The great thing about this thread is, apart from the usual Canon v Nikon silliness, there aren't sides and people get an opportunity to show a side of themselves that never shows on most other threads, their artistic and their appreciation of the artistic side. Along with a lot of sensible help and advice.

"Love this thread", couldn't agree more.

:rolleyes: I agree...this thread does tell you more about people :rolleyes::lol:

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

Great thread so far - very good for picking up tips, hints and getting ideas from other peoples photos . Doesn't matter if you're good or bad, as long as you enjoy it. Couple from the game yesterday -

2599939059_64f3d8179a.jpg

2600768828_ca2aecfec4.jpg

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

I'm a little teapot, short and stout, here's my handle, here's my spout...

Very funny shot, well captured. :lol: