What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

I'm watching the Rick Beato interview with Michael Omartian. About 5 minutes in, just as a casual mention, Omartian says his high school in Chicago had a 200-piece orchestra ?!?#?$?#?@ My high school had an acoustic guitar, an upright piano and 20 recorders.

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enjoy the groove and test your woofers, especially at about the 2 minute mark.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Listening to sounds of the 70s on Sunday found out that the song "Without You " wasn`t a Nillsson original but a cover of a Badfinger song written by Ham and Evans .Even more shocked to find out that due to the collapse of the Apple record label a long drawn out series of law suits over the royalties ensued . This became too much for both song writers and they both committed suicide albeit years apart . I will never listen to this song again with the same enjoyment i have previously held for it .

• 3 weeks later...

Walking through the Hub in Workington Town centre yesterday where there is always music playing , usually well known tunes that everybody would have heard before , when on comes " i want to see the bright lights tonight " by Richard and Linda Thompson , who would have thought , a Public Music Hub with taste .

• 2 weeks later...

F.Hero, Bodyslam & Babymetal - Leave it all behind

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Irish broadcaster RTE just released a documentary about my favourite band of all time, the Hothouse Flowers. 

I can't explain how emotional I feel after watching it. To me they are a smashing band that I've been following live since 1990, but now I've just spent an hour with wild, uncontrollable goosebumps and it means even more. 

I think this story could extrapolate to a thousand bands who have stuck together over many years. It's a great story of friendship and loyalty and all sorts of positive things.

To quote one of their best songs, the documentary and the story are a real 'Thing of Beauty'.

https://www.rte.ie/player/movie/hothouse-flowers-stick-around-and-laugh-a-while/498203176017

Edited by Leeds Wire
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Leeds Wire said:

Irish broadcaster RTE just released a documentary about my favourite band of all time, the Hothouse Flowers. 

I can't explain how emotional I feel after watching it. To me they are a smashing band that I've been following live since 1990, but now I've just spent an hour with wild, uncontrollable goosebumps and it means even more. 

I think this story could extrapolate to a thousand bands who have stuck together over many years. It's a great story of friendship and loyalty and all sorts of positive things.

To quote one of their best songs, the documentary and the story are a real 'Thing of Beauty'.

https://www.rte.ie/player/movie/hothouse-flowers-stick-around-and-laugh-a-while/498203176017

Remember their Lovejoy episode? That's how big they were for a while.

Here's Liam with Eddi reader from Fairground Attraction.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

20 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Remember their Lovejoy episode? That's how big they were for a while.

Here's Liam with Eddi reader from Fairground Attraction.

I think I posted this on the wavering 'best cover versions' thread a while back. It's absolute perfection in terms of its spontaneity and harmony. Two great talents.

• 2 weeks later...

Dolly Parton sings Tom Petty and it's everything you could hope for.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just after the US entered WW2  FDR asked composers to write themes to rally the troops , Aaron Copland came up with this , the original Fanfare for the Common Man.

Off to see this whirlwind of a band on Thursday at Leeds Brudenell. I unexpectedly have a spare (free to you) ticket if anyone wants it.

The support act is a young Manchester lad with a huge future

On 09/04/2024 at 19:20, Leeds Wire said:

Off to see this whirlwind of a band on Thursday at Leeds Brudenell. I unexpectedly have a spare (free to you) ticket if anyone wants it.

Ticket has been taken, sorry (by a York RL fan 😃)

• 2 weeks later...

Burning Spear covers The Grateful Dead, with surprisingly successful results!

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson