What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may have seen her (let's face it, all of her) in Game of Thrones, but Carice van Houten is also a singer.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 minutes ago, metallithrax said:

Currently got apple music playing - Summerland by Kings X.

We get quite a mix because it is my girlfriends account but we both use it so have a mixture of metal and Country,  easy listening and pop

I remember buying my first Kings X album (Gretchen goes to Nebraska).

I listened and thought I'd made an expensive mistake, because I didn't enjoy it at all.

A few months later, I gave it a second chance, and absolutely loved it. Sometimes that's how it goes.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

I remember buying my first Kings X album (Gretchen goes to Nebraska).

I listened and thought I'd made an expensive mistake, because I didn't enjoy it at all.

A few months later, I gave it a second chance, and absolutely loved it. Sometimes that's how it goes.

Indeed it is how it goes sometimes.   I remember a friend have me a tape of metallica kill 'em all and on first listen I didn't get it and taped over it. A few months later I was listening to Master of Puppets and loved it.

Regarding King's X, I read a review in Kerrang and bought "Out of the Silent Planet" based on that and loved it. 

Edited by metallithrax
  • Like 1

In case you missed it, here's the link to last night's Northern Soul Prom: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001nnsq 

Floor-filling bangers with band and full orchestra backing? What's not to like?

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Vika and Linda Bull, formerly of The Black Sorrows.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

This explains a lot, or maybe it doesn't. Not a metal fan so I don't know. I can't even tell the difference between Norwegian black metal and Swedish death metal.

On 16/07/2023 at 19:57, Futtocks said:

In case you missed it, here's the link to last night's Northern Soul Prom: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001nnsq 

Floor-filling bangers with band and full orchestra backing? What's not to like?

I listened to it . Superbly presented by Georgia Mann and Stuart Maconie ( who likes his RL 🙂).

Brought back some great memories. Was not old enough to visit The Twisted Wheel , The Torch or Blackpool Mecca .

Went to Wigan between 76 to 78 . Also the Ritz all-dayers in Manchester.

Went to random all-nighters in Leith, Keele , Nottingham, Morecambe, Stafford, Wakefield, Manchester and Bury, The Parr Hall Warrington. And numerous 8 till 12/1/2 am venues .

Some great tunes .

The Shane Martin tune was written by Jimmy Webb who wrote songs for Glen Campbell . It’s rare on British CBS 

The excellent beat ballad by Ray Pollard , another rare British release on United Artists .

R.Dean Taylor , a big Ian Levine discovery . Which sold thousands in the UK .

The handclapping floor shaker from Gloria Jones . Which got bootlegged umpteen times . I paid 90p for it from Rumbelows in Warrington.

Little Anthony and The Imperials , a big production on United Artists . Got re-released on United Artists in 76 sold thousands. Main stream radio stations wouldn’t touch it , which was criminal.

Jimmy Radcliffe ( who also recorded under the name Steve Karmen ) . A terrific tune written by Hal David And Burt Bacharach.

And the well known Frank Wilson anthem ( also covered by Bruce Springsteen ) . Surrounded by mythology on who discovered it first. Only 2 or 3 copies known to be in existence.

Was originally “covered up “ as Eddie Foster . Got a UK release in 79.

I’m off for my talc .

KTF ...as they say 🙂

I posted this video about 10 years ago on the 'Best Cover Versions' thread on this forum. Sinaed could do any genre from any era and make it sound totally fresh and natural. 

Check the album out if you get chance, it's series of famous Roots covers called "Throw Down Your Arms".

R.I.P. You tortured soul. 😢

This is part of a cracking documentary about Britain in the Victorian days up to the modern day. It’s called “From The Sea To The Land Beyond”, with the music from the then British Sea Power. It is well worth a watch if you enjoy documentaries. 

A blast from the past. Adam & the Ants - The 'Prince Charming' Revue from 1982. Tracklisting available if you watch on YT and expand the comments.

Ralph Waldo Emerson