What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

On 02/12/2023 at 23:44, EggFace said:

Just come back from Madness gig in Newcastle and got to say it was an Embarrassment 😞

like when I went to see the who at leeds arena- just pack it in now - you were great in your time but not now

Edited by graveyard johnny
  • Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Copa said:

Someone bought me a record for Xmas… I haven’t had a record player for 35 years! I’m now on the lookout for one to bring back the past.

If you are going to buy a turntable just for one LP, remember to avoid anything that uses the mechanism pictured below. The main giveaway is the oddly forward-angled cueing handle you can see top left.

These mechanisms (worth less than a fiver) are trash and can be found in a huge number of turntables, some of them wildly overpriced because of the rest of the package's retro styling. A decent second-hand Technics, Denon, Dual, Pro-Ject or Rega is worth looking for, although I don't know what of the latter two brands you'd find in Australia.

2022-new-28cm-turntable-automatic-arm-re

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

If you are going to buy a turntable just for one LP, remember to avoid anything that uses the mechanism pictured below. The main giveaway is the oddly forward-angled cueing handle you can see top left.

These mechanisms (worth less than a fiver) are trash and can be found in a huge number of turntables, some of them wildly overpriced because of the rest of the package's retro styling. A decent second-hand Technics, Denon, Dual, Pro-Ject or Rega is worth looking for, although I don't know what of the latter two brands you'd find in Australia.

2022-new-28cm-turntable-automatic-arm-re

Thanks!

I now have 6 more records ordered and in the post. I couldn’t help myself.

Audio Technica seems to be the easiest to find brand of record player in stores in Canberra. We do have one high end Hi-Fi store but I’m yet to pay it a visit.

I suspect all the other brands you mentioned are easily available in Sydney or Melbourne and can be delivered but I want to actually see my first purchase in the shop.

Driving over to Warrington at Christmas to see the family, I asked my (uni student) son to control the music in the car. I was genuinely taken aback by his taste. I particularly loved this lot:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I often go through 'phases' with music, both with bands and also genres and at the moment I have very much fallen back down the Van Der Graaf Generator rabbit hole.

• Like 1
The%20Warriors%2060.jpg

Petty Rock (plus unannounced stage invader).

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just about to go watch The Mark Of Cain on their 25th anniversary of Ill At Ease. These guys are an institution of Australian heavy rock music and this album was produced by Henry Rollins and remains widely regarded by muso’s as one of the best Australian rock albums since the 90s.

Plenty of good music on the album and I was tempted to put up a link to Point Man for its absolute brilliance, but LMA is just an absolute passion of mine and gets the nod. The lead singer even added in the description of the YouTube video what the story behind the song is. Enjoy.

Babymetal's latest single Metali, featuring Tom Morello of Rage against the Machine. As reliably bizarre as ever.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

R.I.P. Tony Clarkin. Slightly surprised to know that Magnum were still soldiering on in 2024, but here's one of their bigger early hits.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

This man. 

Saw him live on a wintry Monday night in Wakefield not too long ago, expecting very little but being wonderfully entertained. Please give King Creosote a bit of your time if you will. 

Does anyone know if there's any original and current roots reggae bands out there?

I like a lot of contemporary reggae but it's either (white) Californian surf type stuff (e.g. Westbound Train), or calypso (Kobo Town), or jazz fusion (Groundation).

I'm not aware of anyone writing genuinely great roots reggae music in the style of Marley, Burning Spear, Israel Vibration, Culture.....  

My post was inspired by this, by the way:

1 hour ago, metallithrax said:

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson