What Are You Listening To - The Reckoning

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to watch Withered Hand & Darren Hayman in Manchester at the end of next month. Nobody or virtually nobody has ever heard of them, Darren Hayman was once of Hefner(which again nobody has heard of). Withered Hand(Dan Wilson) plays lo-fi music. Darren Hayman has done loads of lps and he was on Radio4 a good few years back talking about his “thankful villages” LP.
I am really excited but my brother who said “he will take me and it can be my Xmas present” is far from looking forward to it. But the good news for him is comes off nights on the day of the gig so he shouldn’t be tired. 

10 hours ago, Josef K said:

I am going to watch Withered Hand & Darren Hayman in Manchester at the end of next month. Nobody or virtually nobody has ever heard of them, Darren Hayman was once of Hefner(which again nobody has heard of). Withered Hand(Dan Wilson) plays lo-fi music. Darren Hayman has done loads of lps and he was on Radio4 a good few years back talking about his “thankful villages” LP.
I am really excited but my brother who said “he will take me and it can be my Xmas present” is far from looking forward to it. But the good news for him is comes off nights on the day of the gig so he shouldn’t be tired. 

Not sure if you are being sarcastic there about the tired part? 

@Bedfordshire Bronco, just for you, as I remember you were such a Fall fan !

Former members, at various times, of The Fall: Martin Bramah, Steve Hanley, Paul Hanley,  Pete Greenway and Si Wolstencroft come together, unrehearsed to record, using a tried and tested methodology – the result is a masterpiece which will inevitably be compared to the Fall but is actually an improvement thereon.

First rule of the album review – write about the actual album not all the baggage and history that surrounds it. Exceedingly difficult with this one.

On it’s own merits and content, music and words, it is a brilliant record. A serious work of art. A stunning album. A career-best for all the musicians concerned.(review from internet)

Edited by HawkMan

15 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

@Bedfordshire Bronco, just for you, as I remember you were such a Fall fan !

Former members, at various times, of The Fall: Martin Bramah, Steve Hanley, Paul Hanley,  Pete Greenway and Si Wolstencroft come together, unrehearsed to record, using a tried and tested methodology – the result is a masterpiece which will inevitably be compared to the Fall but is actually an improvement thereon.

First rule of the album review – write about the actual album not all the baggage and history that surrounds it. Exceedingly difficult with this one.

On it’s own merits and content, music and words, it is a brilliant record. A serious work of art. A stunning album. A career-best for all the musicians concerned.(review from internet)

OMG this really is something else 

So glad you shared ,🤣

Sonic Youth cover Plastic Bertrand.

Rather magnificently.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 20/10/2023 at 10:45, The Masked Poster said:

Not sure if you are being sarcastic there about the tired part? 

No I wasn’t TMP, he usually is shattered after a set of shifts of afternoons, days, nights. There might be a seat at the bar so he can get his head down. 

On 29/10/2023 at 18:21, Futtocks said:

Rather magnificently.

I love Sonic Youth and i was in love with Kim Gordon.
They did some fantastic LP’s, but i have to admit they did a couple of dreadful LP’s. 
“Bull In The Heather” is one of my all time favourites tunes. 

On 05/11/2023 at 23:06, Josef K said:

No I wasn’t TMP, he usually is shattered after a set of shifts of afternoons, days, nights. There might be a seat at the bar so he can get his head down. 

I was basing my comments on finishing a set of doing 12 hour days/nights (which I've recently stopped doing) as I was always cabbaged the day after the last one. As was everyone I knew who did similar. 

On 29/10/2023 at 18:21, Futtocks said:

Rather magnificently.

Cool, seeing Thurston Moore promote his book as part of the Manchester Literacy Festival next week.

Last weekend, got to see Calexico perform, their "Feast of Wire" also in "Town" as they call it here in Shock City.

Twenty years ago, in circumstances I can not recall, I hear them on the radio and bought a copy of it with the extra bonus.CD with "Alone Again" on it from the sadly departed Selectadisc record shop in Nottingham. When I realized I had missed them touring, you can imagine how delighted I was to "re-enact" history.

Much enjoyed, perhaps with the brass live, seen in concert seemed better than on disc. 

Pished I was again too slow to get tickets for this weekend's Teenage Fanclub. Ah well.

On 14/11/2023 at 16:30, Irish Saint said:

Never heard of them before, they sound good. 

I imagine this is what The Waterboys would have sounded like if they were American. That song has a strong "Be My Enemy" vibe, but with an Americana style.

I'm going to look into them, cheers 🙂

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

Never heard of them before, they sound good. 

I imagine this is what The Waterboys would have sounded like if they were American. That song has a strong "Be My Enemy" vibe, but with an Americana style.

I'm going to look into them, cheers 🙂

Hold my hands up, I hadn't heard of them either until about ,an hour before I posted that link.

Recommended to me by a friend in Waterloo Iowa. 

To me  the track was like an out-take from Dylan's  " Highway 61 Revisited"

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

28 minutes ago, Irish Saint said:

Hold my hands up, I hadn't heard of them either until about ,an hour before I posted that link.

Recommended to me by a friend in Waterloo Iowa. 

To me  the track was like an out-take from Dylan's  " Highway 61 Revisited"

Compare and contrast with the Waterboys' Be My Enemy. It's incredibly similar.