spuggies and jackdaws and hedgehogs and frogs

Yesterday I saw a red-bellied black snake out in the yard. They are reasonably common around here and highly venomous but not aggressive. If they have options they will always "run" away. He was well over 1 metre long and the fattest I've ever seen. Unfortunately for him, all this area is turning from farmland into suburbia over the next 2 years.

Caught this buzzard flying high over South Wales recently

http://padge.smugmug.com/Other/Out-and-About-Around-Woodbank/i-nKqnjnw

PAJ_8701-M.jpg

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Robins were quite common until 8 days ago when they seemed to disappear for a few days. I expect they'll be reappearing now the Wildcats have left.

Tigers seem to be an endangered species around these parts if Newland Ave was anything to go by last night.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

I've got a White-necked Heron comes into my yard most days. I'm surprised how few local reference sites mention them.

Urimbirra-April-07-0191.jpg

Edited by Farmduck

I've got a White-necked Heron comes into my yard most days. I'm surprised how few local reference sites mention them.

Looks a bit different from the heron I saw a few days ago flying over the River Hull reed beds.

Saw loads of avocets yesterday in the channel in the Humber south of Read's Island.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Looks a bit different from the heron I saw a few days ago flying over the River Hull reed beds.

Saw loads of avocets yesterday in the channel in the Humber south of Read's Island.

According to wikipedia there are 64 different herons.

• 5 months later...

The blackbirds are currently going absolutely crackers for the remaining rowan berries in our garden, along with a solitary redwing. Never seen one here before, but he is here every day at the moment. We've also got a beautiful pair of Jays hopping around the lawn most days.

redwing02_sr_tcm9-93630.jpg?width=534&cr

(RSPB photo - redwing feeding on rowan berries)

The blackbirds are currently going absolutely crackers for the remaining rowan berries in our garden, along with a solitary redwing. Never seen one here before, but he is here every day at the moment. We've also got a beautiful pair of Jays hopping around the lawn most days.

redwing02_sr_tcm9-93630.jpg?width=534&cr

(RSPB photo - redwing feeding on rowan berries)

There have been lots of redwings and fieldfares arriving in the country in the past couple of weeks. There's a fair chance that some of the blackbirds in your garden are migrant birds also.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from a couple of weeks in Queensland. What a beautiful place it is with some amazing wildlife. Saw dolphins and turtles off Noosa Heads along with a Brahminy Kite hovering above the cliffs. On the Noosa River there were loads of pelicans as well as mullet spinning across the surface as if they were trying to avoid becoming shark food. On a trip to Fraser Island we saw White-bellied Sea Eagles and ospreys as well as King Parrots in the rain forest on the mainland near Montville.

Probably the highlight though was snorkelling on the Great Barrier Reef. I've no idea what any of the fish were called (except Nemo of course and I did recognise the giant clam and a stingray when I saw them) but it was an incredible underwater spectacle. Back on the mainland in the Daintree rain forest we saw a crocodile on the river (and some nervous looking cattle on the bank) and a cassowary strolling along by the side of the road. We'd seen the signs warning that they crossed the roads in the area but we had no idea they were that big.

There was one last surprise we weren't prepared for and that was seeing bats as big as crows flying along the streets of Brisbane after dark.

Just got back from a couple of weeks in Queensland. What a beautiful place it is with some amazing wildlife. 

Maybe, but I bet you're looking forward to returning to see the gannets wolfing down the pickled eggs tomorrow.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Maybe, but I bet you're looking forward to returning to see the gannets wolfing down the pickled eggs tomorrow.

One of nature's most awesome spectacles. I can hardly wait.

Evidence that sometimes Australians can handle a bat.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Saw a pair of little egrets at the Beverley end of Long Lane this morning. 

Did you sing a rendition of "My way" to celebrate?