Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

37 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I'm a topo map nut  but the red symbol with the dots connected by the broken hache...is that a power/transmission line?...and what is the actual man made boundary that goes through the lake (a different county?)...dendritic drainage pattern so lots of places to guerilla camp without being discovered...that hill in the middle of Dufton Fell (can't quite make out the name) looks like a good place to do yoga/meditate.

Thanks for sharing.

The red diamonds with broken lines are national trails where you can automatically assume a right of way.  (20-odd year out of date map reading skills so I am willing to stand corrected)

• Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

Moor House Nature Reserve to the west of Cow Green Reservoir (to the left of the last picture). This entire area (incl Warcop Military Training) is high altitude wise and very remote for English standards. The stars tonight are pretty amazing on Alston Moor (same sub-Arctic climate where I am) and it’s -8C so again cold for English standards. 

8296AF7D-64FE-433A-8C6E-F92E1DA77FA4.jpeg

Ahhh, Warcop, lots of memories from there.

On the subject of military areas, I drove past Otterburn on Thursday and it WASN'T RAINING.  Surely a sign of an impending apocalypse.

• Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

11 minutes ago, ckn said:

The red diamonds with broken lines are national trails where you can automatically assume a right of way.  (20-odd year out of date map reading skills so I am willing to stand corrected)

Can anyone else verify this for me...CKN was only in the 'ARTILLERY' so I certainly will need a verification!

P.S. Infantry people will understand the joke...armoured will miss interpretation totally!

Edited by Kayakman
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I'm a topo map nut  but the red symbol with the dots connected by the broken hache...is that a power/transmission line?...and what is the actual man made boundary that goes through the lake (a different county?)...dendritic drainage pattern so lots of places to guerilla camp without being discovered...that hill in the middle of Dufton Fell (can't quite make out the name) looks like a good place to do yoga/meditate.

Thanks for sharing.

The red symbol marks a national trail as Ckn says; that one in question is the Pennine Way - a long track (by English standards) that runs up the spine of Northern England. It reappears further north of the top of a rather large mountain (by English standards) right outside my front window. 

The boundary through the lake is the County Line; Cumbria to the west and County Durham to the east. The hill is called Meldon Hill; you don’t want to be on top of that thing mediating when it’s wet and windy (tonight despite the cold would be breathtaking!).

• Like 2

Just now, Kayakman said:

Can anyone else verify this for me...CKN was only in the 'ARTILLERY' so I certainly will need a verification!

P.S. Infantry people will understand the joke...armoured will miss interpretationtotally!

:P

Here... my day job was based on map reading.  If I got it wrong I was going to call in a strike on my own position given I was at the landing end of the artillery strike...  That tends to make you spectacularly accurate in map reading when you're on live fire exercises.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ckn said:

Ahhh, Warcop, lots of memories from there.

On the subject of military areas, I drove past Otterburn on Thursday and it WASN'T RAINING.  Surely a sign of an impending apocalypse.

Lol... Otterburn when not in green kit is quite a nice place; the wife and I go walking on the northern boundary every so often - one of the farms runs a little tea room and the cakes are immense! 

2 minutes ago, ckn said:

:P

Here... my day job was based on map reading.  If I got it wrong I was going to call in a strike on my own position given I was at the landing end of the artillery strike...  That tends to make you spectacularly accurate in map reading when you're on live fire exercises.

You’ve taken the bait there...

12 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

The red symbol marks a national trail as Ckn says; that one in question is the Pennine Way - a long track (by English standards) that runs up the spine of Northern England. It reappears further north of the top of a rather large mountain (by English standards) right outside my front window. 

The boundary through the lake is the County Line; Cumbria to the west and County Durham to the east. The hill is called Meldon Hill; you don’t want to be on top of that thing mediating when it’s wet and windy (tonight despite the cold would be breathtaking!).

I know we've just been introduced recently Geordie but for me I would be there when its wet and windy...I go places where other people don't want to be...I like it better that way (just being honest).

13 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I know we've just been introduced recently Geordie but for me I would be there when its wet and windy...I go places where other people don't want to be...I like it better that way (just being honest).

I couldn't agree more.  About once every couple of years I get my backpack on and just head out into the wilds for a few days.  I treat it as a failure if I meet any human beings on those days.

1 minute ago, ckn said:

I couldn't agree more.  About once every couple of years I get my backpack on and just head out into the wilds for a few days.  I treat it as a failure if I meet any human beings on those days.

I love disappearing in the Pyrenees; my route selections tend to keep me away from folk - always a breathtaking experience at 3000m.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Like Canada :tongue:

Exactly...exactly!  Shadow you have an insight that others lack...some of the places out of contact I go to and I think, "I am at the end of an age...the unknown and untrodden places are almost all gone...how fortunate I am to be in Canada and experience this...the most beautiful country in the world with many of the last untouched parts...its like my fingers are tracing the face of the Unknown One."

This place was such a special place...untouched by man...the last of the glacial sand dunes from a forgotten time....few know of its location...and even if you know...it is very difficult to get to...took me roughly 25 days of super hard wilderness Kayaking to get to.

EDEN! (I stayed there for a long time;the old spirits still live there!)

IMG_0514.JPG

IMG_0515.JPG

IMG_0516.JPG

Edited by Kayakman

34 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I go places where other people don't want to be...I like it better that way (just being honest).

Plenty of those locations in England (especially round here) but Meldon is particularly grim. There’s a cracking little bivouac hut just off the Pennine Way near here (Greg’s Hut); about 1km distance to the top of Cross Fell (897m), which is the highest mountain in England outside of the Lake District. Far better location to ramble away from folk up there than Meldon Hill, which is littered with baby’s heads, bogs and other ankle breaking flora and terrain - all well known for any UK Serviceman (past or present).

Edited by GeordieSaint
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Plenty of those locations in England (especially round here) but Meldon is particularly grim. There’s a cracking little bivouac hut just off the Pennine Way near here (Greg’s Hut); about 500m distance to the top of Cross Fell (897m), which is the highest mountain in England outside of the Lake District. Far better location to ramble away from folk up there than Meldon Hill, which is littered with baby’s heads, bogs and other ankle breaking flora and terrain - all well known for any UK Serviceman (past or present).

This is my litnus test for such places...if I go into the hut and start a candle fire, do the flies warm up from cold remission and fly into the flame of the candle and go PUFF!  I like that!

11 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

This is my litnus test for such places...if I go into the hut and start a candle fire, do the flies warm up from cold remission and fly into the flame of the candle and go PUFF!  I like that!

The Alston Moor midge (like the Scottish counterparts) are particularly mean little b*****ds and rarely die even if blown up! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

The Alston Moor midge (like the Scottish counterparts) are particularly mean little b*****ds and rarely die even if blown up! 

Don’t try flamethrowers as it just encourages them. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

19 minutes ago, ckn said:

Don’t try flamethrowers as it just encourages them. 

Do these midges vote Conservative or Labour...if I know the answer to that question then I can extrapolate their true intent.

12 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Do these midges vote Conservative or Labour...if I know the answer to that question then I can extrapolate their true intent.

Conservative heartland here; Labour don’t get a look in. The Liberal Democrats do well on the other side of Dufton Hill Range though. 

Anyway, that’s me signing off for the day - long drive back to warmer climates tomorrow (Norfolk) but will leave you with the nice sunset from this evening: 

0B7F2913-AE8C-4274-8E51-ADAD0EA2DF85.jpeg

Edited by GeordieSaint
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Conservative heartland here; Labour don’t get a look in. The Liberal Democrats do well on the other side of Dufton Hill Range though. 

Anyway, that’s me signing off for the day - long drive back to warmer climates tomorrow (Norfolk) but will leave you with the nice sunset from this evening: 

0B7F2913-AE8C-4274-8E51-ADAD0EA2DF85.jpeg

Shes a beauty no doubt....dark as sin here with about -15 and snowing...you lucky duck!

17 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Midges are vicious bloodsuckers, so definitely Conservative.

;)

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

6 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

Midges are vicious bloodsuckers, so definitely Conservative.

;)

Vicious bloodsuckers who no-one likes, have no noticeable good side or purpose and people would happily move to another country to avoid, so probably more Nigel Farage than Conservative. 

• Haha 1

"Lake effect flurries and local snow squalls developing tonight are forecast to move south and begin affecting the region Wednesday morning. Local snowfall amounts of 10 to 15 cm will be possible by Wednesday evening when the squall activity weakens.

Visibility may be suddenly reduced at times in heavy snow. Surfaces such as highways, roads, walkways and parking lots may become difficult to navigate due to accumulating snow. For information on emergency plans and kits go to http://www.getprepared.gc.ca/"

-Not looking good for here tomorrow...lots of shear ice out there right now.

Been snowing here for days...we are officially 'snowed in'...went for first big cross country ski today (lots and lots of snow in the Bush)...probably about a -20-25 in the open field with the wind...nicer in the bush though...getting cold....especially at night.  Beautiful out there.

Flurries or local snow squalls. Local blowing snow. Local amount 10 to 15 cm. Wind west 30 km/h gusting to 50. High minus 10.
Tonight Flurries with risk of snow squalls. Local amount 5 cm. Wind west 20 km/h gusting to 40. Temperature steady near minus 10.
Wed, 27 Dec Flurries with risk of snow squalls. Local amount 5 cm. Wind west 30 km/h gusting to 50 becoming northeast 20 gusting to 40 near noon. High minus 8.
Night Cloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries or snow squalls. Low minus 17.

On 12/16/2017 at 11:19 PM, Kayakman said:

Exactly...exactly!  Shadow you have an insight that others lack...some of the places out of contact I go to and I think, "I am at the end of an age...the unknown and untrodden places are almost all gone...how fortunate I am to be in Canada and experience this...the most beautiful country in the world with many of the last untouched parts...its like my fingers are tracing the face of the Unknown One."

This place was such a special place...untouched by man...the last of the glacial sand dunes from a forgotten time....few know of its location...and even if you know...it is very difficult to get to...took me roughly 25 days of super hard wilderness Kayaking to get to.

EDEN! (I stayed there for a long time;the old spirits still live there!)

Eden - Dufton Pike as you've mentioned is in that part of the world.

I'll be supping beer underneath Dufton Pike on New Years Eve.......the Stag Inn