Food and drink thread

3 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I love cooking Asian food, curries, Indian & Malaysian, Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai & Korean flavours are in my house. I even found an Eastern Russian cookbook in a small book shop in St. Leonards, that is in Russian for £5. It looks tempting, not sure of the translations though.

This is supposed to be good, and published in English, too.

The only Russian dish I cook on a semi-regular basis is Mushrooms Shalyapin Style. Simple and very much a comfort food.

Some friends in Hungary, where they like their grub, sent us one of their cookbooks, and the quantities were massive. Plus it had instructions for roasting a whole ox, which started with the sentence "this is usually* done for a special occasion."

*my formatting, not the book's.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Without Googling:

Sainsbury's
Morrison's
Waitrose
Co-op
Asda
Tesco
Budgens
Costcutter
Kwik-save
Iceland
Aldi
Lidl
Spar
Marks & Spencer

There's another whose name is just eluding me.

I know it's very Nothern but Booths is another. Booths is like Waitrose but far better.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

4 minutes ago, Bearman said:

I know it's very Nothern but Booths is another. Booths is like Waitrose but far better.

Good pick; I've shopped at Booths. Very nice, but currently very far away. If you search it on Google maps, they are all in the North apart from one slightly baffling and rather lonely outpost in Essex.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 19/12/2020 at 16:22, Bleep1673 said:

If you leave Cromwell Square, Brighton, and head west towards Hove, there is an almighty trans-Asian food store, and when I say TRANS-Asian, I mean every Asian food you can think of, it is half the size of a Rugby pitch, and has foods, and spices from countries you had forgotten about. Wing Yip are amateurs compared to this.

In Hastings the best two shops for Asian food are one on Queens Road, and another run by a Sri Lankan lady on Malvern Way, in the Londis.

Going to take my errrm Lady friend to a world wide stores near me soon as shes getting back into making curries from scratch. Not a massive curry lover but will try what she makes.

• Like 1

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

• 3 weeks later...

One of my Christmas presents was a gift voucher for the Sous Chef website. I have just partially redeemed the voucher on 8yo balsamic vinegar, partridge pate, XO sauce and iberico pork scratchings. Should be arriving on Wednesday, so we'll see if at all turns up undamaged.

The brand names I recognise on that site are all good ones, which is encouraging. Plus, for some ingredients (like green cardamom, for instance), they sell the Natco brand, so they don't just go for prestige names based on high price.

You can also pay via Amazon or PayPal, so you're not submitting your card details to yet another website.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 17/01/2021 at 15:05, Futtocks said:

One of my Christmas presents was a gift voucher for the Sous Chef website. I have just partially redeemed the voucher on 8yo balsamic vinegar, partridge pate, XO sauce and iberico pork scratchings. Should be arriving on Wednesday, so we'll see if at all turns up undamaged.

The brand names I recognise on that site are all good ones, which is encouraging. Plus, for some ingredients (like green cardamom, for instance), they sell the Natco brand, so they don't just go for prestige names based on high price.

You can also pay via Amazon or PayPal, so you're not submitting your card details to yet another website.

Well, the Iberico pork scratchings had a good flavour, but were overcooked by British standards, so a little dry. The partridge pate is very tasty, and the balsamic is superb.

Regarding the latter, I may splash out on an even more long-aged one next time. But maybe not the £115 Extravecchio!

I haven't tried the XO sauce yet, but I will do very soon. I think I've had that brand before, anyway.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Not a bad place Singapore at times. Finishing work and ooh, i right fancy a glass or two of Port tonight.

A bloke on a bike is off to shop to pick me up a Grahams 10 year old Tawny, Grahams 6 Grapes, Grahams 2015 LBV and a Niepoort 2015 LBV as well.

Lovely.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

1 hour ago, MattSantos said:

Not a bad place Singapore at times. Finishing work and ooh, i right fancy a glass or two of Port tonight.

A bloke on a bike is off to shop to pick me up a Grahams 10 year old Tawny, Grahams 6 Grapes, Grahams 2015 LBV and a Niepoort 2015 LBV as well.

Lovely.

Nice. I like the occasional chilled Madeira, but that's usually only when I've bought some for a recipe.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 22/01/2021 at 10:06, MattSantos said:

Lovely.

Pre or post or English or European?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Bouillabaisse later today

"Magic moments, mem'ries we've been sharin'
Magic moments, when two hearts are carin'
Time can't erase the memory of
These magic moments filled with love"

Just taken delivery of a portable induction hob, which will mostly sit on top of and replace my electric hobs, but can also complement them.

First test, a pint of cold water in a saucepan. Comes to the boil startlingly quickly and when the temperature is dropped or the machine is switched off, the change is almost instant.

I reckon it's witchcraft, personally.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Just taken delivery of a portable induction hob, which will mostly sit on top of and replace my electric hobs, but can also complement them.

First test, a pint of cold water in a saucepan. Comes to the boil startlingly quickly and when the temperature is dropped or the machine is switched off, the change is almost instant.

I reckon it's witchcraft, personally.

My big heavy frying pan, which usually takes at least 10 minutes to come up to heat also responded quickly.

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

47 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Eh?

I thought that as you seemed a big fan of Port whether you drank before the meal = European or Post eating  = Posh English?

Of course you could just be someone who doesn't let food get in the way of his Port or someone with a bar in your house where only Port is on offer.

Or failing all those you might WC Fields!

Just now, Oxford said:

I wondered, as you seemed a big fan of Port, whether you drank before the meal = European or Post eating  = Posh English?

Of course you could just be someone who doesn't let food get in the way of his Port or someone with a bar in your house where only Port is on offer.

6 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I thought that as you seemed a big fan of Port whether you drank before the meal = European or Post eating  = Posh English?

Ah. Well i had a bottle on a zoom call with some mates. The food was a pick n mix from IKEA.

Usually though, it'll be a few glasses post some snazzy snap.

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

19 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Ah. Well i had a bottle on a zoom call with some mates.

How do you pass it to the left on Zoom?😀

In any case enjoy and all the best, my laptop is on it's last legs so stay well!

Edited by Oxford