The TV Thread

Louis Theroux's new series has been powerful, sympathetic and insightful.

He has this down to a fine art now.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Jeez, that was intense!

Yep.  First time in a long, long time I felt myself tear up at a fictional TV show.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Well, I never thought I'd be recommending Australian underpants adverts, but Bonds' ads featuring "The Boys" are pretty funny.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yep.  First time in a long, long time I felt myself tear up at a fictional TV show.

The Guardian review featured the line "If someone holds a door for you today, say thank you and try not to cry".

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

A new Jonathan Meades programme/polemic on BBC4 tonight at 9pm! :) 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

A new Jonathan Meades programme/polemic on BBC4 tonight at 9pm! :)

I do like a bit of Meades... no idea what he's going on about most of the time.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I'm trying to watch The Americans but I've come in late Season 3 and there is so much back story that it's very difficult. I've resorted to a pirate streaming channel to start from the beginning.

Fairly Secret Army. I knew of this series, but never got to see it 'til now. Several episodes on YouTube.

Geoffrey Palmer plays Major Harry Kitchener Wellington Truscott (ex Queen's Own West Mercian Lowlanders), who is basically Jimmy 'Cock-up' Anderson from the Reginald Perrin stories. They had to rename his character, as this spinoff was on Channel 4 and the BBC held the rights to Perrin.

Thanks to David Nobbs' writing, Harry still talks in clipped absurdities ("Tricky customer, Johnny Chit-Chat; never could get the hang of the blighter") and has precisely zero ability to function outside the military world. His dream is to start an army to strike back when the balloon goes up and hold out against, well, his list already includes "wreckers of law and order. Communists, Maoists, Trotskyists, neo-Trotskyists, crypto-Trotskyists, union leaders, Communist union leaders, atheists, agnostics, long-haired weirdos, short-haired weirdos, vandals, hooligans, football supporters, namby-pamby probation officers, rapists, papists, papist rapists, foreign surgeons... headshrinkers, who ought to be locked up, Wedgwood Benn, keg bitter, punk rock, glue-sniffers, "Play For Today", Clive Jenkins, Roy Jenkins, Up Jenkins, up everybody's, Chinese restaurants - why do you think Windsor Castle is ringed with Chinese restaurants?".

And music by Michael Nyman?  :O

Ralph Waldo Emerson

And that futtocks is one of my all time favourite TV moments.... absolutely fabulous. I've just "you tubed" it & shared on Facebook cos everyone should have another watch of that...

Reginald Iolanthe Perrin....a much underrated show

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

And that futtocks is one of my all time favourite TV moments.... absolutely fabulous. I've just "you tubed" it & shared on Facebook cos everyone should have another watch of that...

Reginald Iolanthe Perrin....a much underrated show

Have you read the Perrin books? They add more internal dialogue and background to the characters and are a great read.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Much to my discredit futtocks, other than for academic and research purposes I'm not a great reader. I think the last book I read was a Tom Sharp effort 30 yrs ago...

Unlike the memsahib I rarely read for pleasure.... sad init?

Great! Super... I didn't get where I am today without liking a scene like that. ;) 

And doesn't Jimmy's deluded fantasy sound awfully UKIP-ish?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Great! Super... I didn't get where I am today without liking a scene like that. ;)

And doesn't Jimmy's deluded fantasy sound awfully UKIP-ish?

you been gazing at my Facebook page?

Alan Partridge's Scissored Isle on Sky - a "documentary" where Alan looks at the schism between the north and the south. Funniest thing I've seen in ages, it really is vintage Partridge.  

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

I've very much enjoyed Upstart Crow, the comedy series on BBC 2 starring David Mitchell as William Shakespeare, written by Ben Elton.

It has a distinct Blackadder feel to it (which is no bad thing if you're one of those people who thinks Ben Elton hasn't written anything decent since then), even including a direct tribute to 'Bob' in the final episode last night.

Mitchell is great in the lead role, but upstaged for me by the scenery eating performance of Mark Heap as Robert Greene.

A second series is on the cards so it must have gone down reasonably well.

I've very much enjoyed Upstart Crow, the comedy series on BBC 2 starring David Mitchell as William Shakespeare, written by Ben Elton.

It has a distinct Blackadder feel to it (which is no bad thing if you're one of those people who thinks Ben Elton hasn't written anything decent since then), even including a direct tribute to 'Bob' in the final episode last night.

Mitchell is great in the lead role, but upstaged for me by the scenery eating performance of Mark Heap as Robert Greene.

A second series is on the cards so it must have gone down reasonably well.

Yes, it was fun, especially their playing around with cod-Shakespearean language. I wouldn't call it brilliant, but I think a second series would go down okay.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Favourite partridge quote.... well...that can be put on here is....

Too many to list but a favourite recent one is "What part of 'not to be sold separately' do corner shops not understand?".

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Blimey, Eurotrash is back! Just a one-off, tonight at 9pm on C4.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blimey, Eurotrash is back! Just a one-off, tonight at 9pm on C4.

Joy! it is exactly as puerile and degenerate as ever.

Antoine and Jean-Paul have not matured a nanosecond since the glory days.

Ralph Waldo Emerson