The TV Thread

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 3:06 PM, RidingPie said:

Well Netflix have confirmed season 3 of the Dragon Prince and season 2 of The Order, so I’m happy. 

Also though this bit perhaps should be on the movie thread this morning I watched the My Hero Academia movie two heroes. Since it’s a movie of a series I’ve gone for here. A great anime movie that really captures the spirit of the anime. Probably my second favourite anime movie ever after The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

that post may has well have been in mandarin for all I understood of it

• Haha 3

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 3/27/2019 at 10:51 AM, gingerjon said:

So … this was a question posed on twitter: If you had to introduce someone to your taste in television, what are five titles that you would screen for them?

These are my five:

• The Beiderbecke Trilogy
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Brooklyn 99
  • The Expanse
  • Black Books

Game Of Thrones

The Walking Dead

The Sopranos

Ray Donovan

Ash Vs Evil Dead

• Like 1

Really?  On the TV thread?

5 posts deleted.  Come on, grow up or go elsewhere and play.

• Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

On 4/1/2019 at 3:06 PM, RidingPie said:

Well Netflix have confirmed season 3 of the Dragon Prince and season 2 of The Order, so I’m happy. 

Also though this bit perhaps should be on the movie thread this morning I watched the My Hero Academia movie two heroes. Since it’s a movie of a series I’ve gone for here. A great anime movie that really captures the spirit of the anime. Probably my second favourite anime movie ever after The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

I really could do with a good steer on manga/anime at some point. I hadn't watched any anime *at all* until "Your Name" a year or so ago, which was totes amazeballs. Then Cowboy Bebop on Netflix. I've watched some stuff since but I have absolutely no frame of reference and with so many series either having reboots/different versions or having multiple series spinning off from the same starting point, it all gets very confusing.

Enjoying Violet Evergarden though.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I really could do with a good steer on manga/anime at some point. I hadn't watched any anime *at all* until "Your Name" a year or so ago, which was totes amazeballs. Then Cowboy Bebop on Netflix. I've watched some stuff since but I have absolutely no frame of reference and with so many series either having reboots/different versions or having multiple series spinning off from the same starting point, it all gets very confusing.

Your Name was brilliant and I fully recommend it to anyone  

I’m going to weight newer series here mostly as mostly they’re easier to watch. My Hero Academia is a lot of fun. Since you’ve got Netflix, the 7 deadly sins is also a lot of fun even if sometimes you wish they’d town the... erm perversions of the main character down a little. I also love a series called Fairy Tail (which if you do watch you’ll see my avatar picture in). In the older series, and also on Netflix I think is Death Note (DONT WATCH THE LIVE ACTION MOVIE watch the anime) while at first seems to have a really dumb concept it becomes a brilliant narrative about power corrupting. 

Anime movies wise, try and hunt down these three of Mayazaki’s classic. Spirited Away. Princess Mononoke, and Howls Moving Castle. 

RidingPie is spot on with Studio Ghibli: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Studio_Ghibli_works

Check out all of Hayao Miyazaki's work, as he is brilliant. His fellow Ghibli director Isao Takahata is more varied in both style and quality, but his 'Grave of the Fireflies' is a must-watch, as long you're not feeling emotionally vulnerable, because it hits hard.

Then give the original 'Ghost in the Shell' a try. Very good too.

The behemoth stone-cold anime classic is, of course 'Akira'. Yes, there are some baffling bits, but the action, the tension between the characters, the interacting plot strands (albeit cut down a lot from the original manga book) and the soundtrack are right on the money.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

For the weird stuff, 'Wicked City' is pretty out there. Just be aware of a fair bit of of NSFW content, although not as extreme as the full-on tentacle stuff which can be absolutely disgusting. They actually made a live-action version of this, which is pretty demented too, especially the scene with the spider-woman.

Edited by Futtocks

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

52 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

For the weird stuff, 'Wicked City' is pretty out there. Just be aware of a fair bit of of NSFW content, although not as extreme as the full-on tentacle stuff which can be absolutely disgusting. They actually made a live-action version of this, which is pretty demented too, especially the scene with the spider-woman.

Think I watched this late night on Channel 4 in the late nineties. Weird is one word for it ?

8 hours ago, Futtocks said:

The behemoth stone-cold anime classic is, of course 'Akira'. Yes, there are some baffling bits, but the action, the tension between the characters, the interacting plot strands (albeit cut down a lot from the original manga book) and the soundtrack are right on the money.

I remember watching Akira when I was about 12 and thinking “wow, I bet I’ll understand it more when I’m older”. 

Interestingly I watched it again a few years back and remember think “nope still don’t get the ending”. 

Thanks for all that.

Death Note was on Netflix but I think it's been taken off now. They have the first two (of five) of a Ghost in the Shell series, plus the  recent movie (which I believe I should avoid).

I'll see what else I can locate.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 hours ago, gingerjon said:

OK I've started watching Violet Evergarden this morning, and thanks for the recommend I'm loving it. With that in mind I'm changing my prescription.  ?

You're clearly in to more thought provoking Anime, which is good. A lot of the series I've mentioned are shonin anime, which tend to be aimed more at the teen market (don't judge me ? ), and you clearly like more introspective series, which is good because I like them as well. I'll still keep all the studio Ghibli movies I mentioned on as they are classics and amazing, and I'll back what Futtocks said about Grave of the Fireflies, make sure you're in a good and happy place when you watch it (you won't be happy at the end). It's very emotional! To boil it down its an apology by the writer to his sister for him surviving. I'll also add to my recommended Ghibili watch here the tale of Princess Kaguya.

As you've probably gathered by this Anime is a huge genre with lots of subgenre. I'd probably still recommend the series of Death Note, which is more violent but still an interesting examination of humanity in an odd way. I'm going to think about which series to recommend though, but those movies should keep you going for quite a while.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Is walking dead worth watching if I'm not a zombie fan? Everyone else raves about it and I like the bloke in it who was in This Life

I would say yes. It is more about how people try to live and survive when society and life as they have always known it has broken down rather than just spending every episode fighting zombies. Some seasons can drag and could have done with fewer episodes but overall it is a great show.

On 4/2/2019 at 9:11 PM, RidingPie said:

Your Name was brilliant and I fully recommend it to anyone  

I’m going to weight newer series here mostly as mostly they’re easier to watch. My Hero Academia is a lot of fun. Since you’ve got Netflix, the 7 deadly sins is also a lot of fun even if sometimes you wish they’d town the... erm perversions of the main character down a little. I also love a series called Fairy Tail (which if you do watch you’ll see my avatar picture in). In the older series, and also on Netflix I think is Death Note (DONT WATCH THE LIVE ACTION MOVIE watch the anime) while at first seems to have a really dumb concept it becomes a brilliant narrative about power corrupting. 

Anime movies wise, try and hunt down these three of Mayazaki’s classic. Spirited Away. Princess Mononoke, and Howls Moving Castle. 

Death Note is still on Netflix. Attack On Titan is also on Netflix which is a good one.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Liverpool Rover said:

I would say yes. It is more about how people try to live and survive when society and life as they have always known it has broken down rather than just spending every episode fighting zombies. Some seasons can drag and could have done with fewer episodes but overall it is a great show.

They got a new set of producers a couple of seasons back and they dragged the entire show down, they’ve been given the bum’s rush out the door and it’s starting to get back to early season qualities again.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

7 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

Death Note is still on Netflix. Attack On Titan is also on Netflix which is a good one.

Yes. Noticed that Death Note is there. (It popped up a couple of months ago on a list of 'limited time' programmes and then I couldn't find it, so I assumed it had gone for good.)

Now on Episode 8. Rum do.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2019 at 3:06 PM, RidingPie said:

Good news about The Order.

• Like 1
The%20Warriors%2060.jpg

9 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

Okay will give it a go. Which is the best series?