Sky Sports - New TV Deal (Merged Threads)

Baffling 
we have had a great world cup

a new league structure that should provide season long meaningful matches 

clear paths for the ambitious clubs to move forward 

clear path to make sure current elite clubs get their house in order

new investors coming in to various clubs 

a new sponsor for the S/L

new TV deal to give much more coverage and a lot more cash 

and still the usual victor meldrews on here look to find fault 

at least one usual suspect seems to be missing with his usual negativity 

fantastic news for Rugby League and hats off to the RFL for a great few months - personally i cant wait for the season to start

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would imagine that split is based on the current TV money. With the increase I hope and expect this to be looked at again come 2017

The preamble to the bit I posted says they are assuming positive changes to the game's income and this split is the recommendation of the RFL.  So, no, it's not based on the current deal.

(Not defending it incidentally, that's just what it says).

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Glad to hear about the TV rights; I'll wait out for information through the LE and other league outlets to hear the detail; hope it is a really good deal as speculated! Just hope the clubs don't waist the money as per 1996 by simple throwing the money into the players pockets; PLEASE invest in the grassroots and club structures as any new structure will fall flat on its behind without key changes to the game's foundations.

I also hope something is put in place for the Championship 1 clubs as well...

*applause*

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

*applause*

I know you have an issue with the part that Championship 1 plays in all this, but what exactly is the issue.

It would appear that they will get flat funding of c£75k pa. and have a clear pathway (2 promotion spots annually).

Why do you think this is an afterthought? Maybe this division actually needs least amount of changes?

The BT Sport effect coming into play?

It's the first time in a long while that Sky have had serious competition in the UK market for sports rights.

I'm glad the RFL noticed the fundamental market shift and seem to have capitalised on it.

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

I know you have an issue with the part that Championship 1 plays in all this, but what exactly is the issue.

My fundamental issue is that a massive chunk of the semi pro game is being left behind.  The gap in funding between C and C1 is large relative to the size of the clubs it affects - even within C it's going to be significant.  That C1, and the semi pro game in general, would benefit by clearer alignment and engagement with the community game, that the focus of the whole game solution has only been (effectively) on the top 16 clubs in the game, that significant work needs to be done on ensuring players are developed properly, fairly and appropriately.

(These are mostly all comments for a different thread though.)

Yep, you are right. The BT press release says 'up to £152m' for four years.

The amount was dependent on the creation of new competitions.

I still find it funny that it's basically tearing club union apart.

Yep, you are right. The BT press release says 'up to £152m' for four years.

I assume that's for the 22 regular season games plus the play-offs and final = 24 games per season.  or does it include new euro competition.

Wonder how the new RL stacks up for comparison.  On the surface the RL one compares OK.

I assume that's for the 22 regular season games plus the play-offs and final = 24 games per season.

Wonder how the new RL stacks up for comparison.

At the minute, BT show 3 games per Aviva round so 66 games plus the play-off semi finals and final.  Around 70 games in total.  Plus some club 7s tournaments.

The Premier Rugby deal was, from memory, for all that plus a new European competition to replace the Heineken Cup.

My fundamental issue is that a massive chunk of the semi pro game is being left behind.  The gap in funding between C and C1 is large relative to the size of the clubs it affects - even within C it's going to be significant.  That C1, and the semi pro game in general, would benefit by clearer alignment and engagement with the community game, that the focus of the whole game solution has only been (effectively) on the top 16 clubs in the game, that significant work needs to be done on ensuring players are developed properly, fairly and appropriately.

(These are mostly all comments for a different thread though.)

Cheers

I assume that's for the 22 regular season games plus the play-offs and final = 24 games per season.

Wonder how the new RL stacks up for comparison.

That's for 69 live AP games per season, as well as a new European competition.

IIRC the split was £100m for the AP solely, and up to £52m for the European Competition depending on structure, size and geographical spread.

At the minute, BT show 3 games per Aviva round so 66 games plus the play-off semi finals and final.  Around 70 games in total.  Plus some club 7s tournaments.

The Premier Rugby deal was, from memory, for all that plus a new European competition to replace the Heineken Cup.

The banner on BT Sport advertises 69 games live and exclusive. Pretty much the same as the SL deal which was originally set at 70.

It may be that everything just lined up nicely for us and the RFL have taken advantage of the competition Sky faces to push through these changes and have a stronger hand when negotiating with our major partner.

If this number is true, it does look like a remarkable piece of business (the whole last 6-12 months, irrespective of whether we agree with the actual structure or not)!

I think that what you say here is correct.

I also think that Sky looked at the World Cup, the huge attendances and all round enthusiasm for and efficiency of the tournament, the viewing figures on  the BBC and together with the pressure from BT sports and that helped galvanise them into this deal.

That is part of the knock on effect from the World Cup that I was looking for.

That's for 69 live AP games per season, as well as a new European competition.

IIRC the split was £100m for the AP solely, and up to £52m for the European Competition depending on structure, size and geographical spread.

That's about right but it was only European games involve English clubs.

I think that what you say here is correct.

I also think that Sky looked at the World Cup, the huge attendances and all round enthusiasm for and efficiency of the tournament, the viewing figures on  the BBC and together with the pressure from BT sports and that helped galvanise them into this deal.

That is part of the knock on effect from the World Cup that I was looking for.

You could be right.

We could do with a proper international calendar to push things further in raising the sport's profile and commercial appeal. People like international sport and big events.......

Looking at all the announcements Sky have made today, I suspect they are more to do with stabilising the share price of the company after they announced last year’s profits were dented yesterday (see - http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jan/30/bskyb-profits-premier-league-deal). As well as SL and a ton of other sports being picked up today, they also anounced they have renewed their HBO deal for Sky Atlantic which is also a big deal. So for anyone thinking this is purely due to the restructure of the league, I suspect this has been in the pipeline for a while. The fact it’s come out so soon after our changes have been announced is a happy coincidence I suspect.

Probably true but really, who cares? If the money being quoted is correct and the RFL can shout about sky endorsing thestructure and it brings in new viewers and spectators then it's win win.

Well done the RFL

Where did you read that?

Glad to hear about the TV rights; I'll wait out for information through the LE and other league outlets to hear the detail; hope it is a really good deal as speculated! Just hope the clubs don't waist the money as per 1996 by simple throwing the money into the players pockets; PLEASE invest in the grassroots and club structures as any new structure will fall flat on its behind without key changes to the game's foundations.

I also hope something is put in place for the Championship 1 clubs as well...

I believe the circumstances would be very different, then we had a load of top RL players who had a job and earned a good crust playing RL, hence salaries became inflated. We do not have that problem now but have the experience

I believe we will start to source the RU players again, not the superstars but the young outside backs with pace who may not be getting a shout or are in the second tier

Probably true but really, who cares? If the money being quoted is correct and the RFL can shout about sky endorsing thestructure and it brings in new viewers and spectators then it's win win.

Well done the RFL

Oh, of course. It is no bad thing, but I'm saying that the (few) who think it's suddenly because we've changed to this new structure that Uncle Rupert ran to RFL HQ with his chequebook are barking up the wrong tree.

Personally in the wider media landscape I think it's interesting, but from an RL perspective maybe not so much.

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

Archived