Sky Sports - New TV Deal (Merged Threads)

Sorry, I meant a lot more for them, what with having every home match televised

Ah, good point.

Those thieving Frenchies!

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think we might be getting carried away divvying money out. Doesn't it mention the next two years have been renegotiated as well. Are we sure the supposed £200m isn't over the full term ie 7 years.

I did think that earlier, however the press releases have been a bout a new 5 year contract. The fact that the £200m number has come only from journos and not an official release does always mean it could be out.

That said, when has Chris Irvine ever gone overboard on positive news? 

when has Chris Irvine ever gone overboard on positive news? 

He's being fiendish.

He'll say later it was 200m over 7 years not 5 just so he can deflate everyone's good mood.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Oh please,the second tier of RU Clubs only receive £240,000/season of central,tv. money,to suggest that the second tier of RL Clubs will receive £750,000 is ludicrous.A narrowing of a 12:1 ratio is sensible but not to anywhere near 2:1.Yes I know a couple of people from Featherstone/Leigh will get their knickers in a twist but I'd be amazed if the current figure of some £90,000 is increased to much more than £135,000 (50% increase.)

Equally,I'd like to see the top 12 S.L. clubs being made to get their house in order before they receive increased sums but unfortunately I fear that can't/wont happen.Still,I hope a few bills are paid/Taxes paid/loans repaid before they start wasting the new money.

Doesn't seem like a massive increase for the SL clubs.

You could make it £1.8M which is an effective 50% increase and still leave £10M to the RFL's other projects.

I suspect with the other sponsorships to be announced and the anticipated increase in top 8 attendances (KPMG report) then that'll be an effective £2M per top tier club.

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

Okay, so this is what the Policy Review had to say about central distribution:

Each remaining Super League club receives increased distributions. 
- Clubs 1 and 2 in Tier 2 will receive 50% (or very near) of a full Super 
League share (in addition to any one off specific transitional arrangements 
that may apply in 2015/2015). 
- All other Tier 2 clubs receive increased central distributions, with 
significant meritocratic distributions in favour of clubs 3 and 4. 
- All Tier 3 clubs receive a uniformed central distribution. This should be 
regarded as a base minimum which clubs can rely on for 2015 and 2016. 

Think we might be getting carried away divvying money out. Doesn't it mention the next two years have been renegotiated as well. Are we sure the supposed £200m isn't over the full term ie 7 years.

Exactly BB. Given that there has been no official announcement from the RFL of the size of the deal and the only information has been about £200M tweeted without clarification then the rush of people on here to work out how £40M p.a. should be divvied up is hilarious.

Was there any announcement of how much a Sky Sports subscription will cost over the next five or seven years as well?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Doesn't seem like a massive increase for the SL clubs.

You could make it £1.8M which is an effective 50% increase and still leave £10M to the RFL's other projects.

I suspect with the other sponsorships to be announced and the anticipated increase in top 8 attendances (KPMG report) then that'll be an effective £2M per top tier club.

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

Oh please,the second tier of RU Clubs only receive £240,000/season of central,tv. money,to suggest that the second tier of RL Clubs will receive £750,000 is ludicrous.A narrowing of a 12:1 ratio is sensible but not to anywhere near 2:1.Yes I know a couple of people from Featherstone/Leigh will get their knickers in a twist but I'd be amazed if the current figure of some £90,000 is increased to much more than £135,000 (50% increase.)

Equally,I'd like to see the top 12 S.L. clubs being made to get their house in order before they receive increased sums but unfortunately I fear that can't/wont happen.Still,I hope a few bills are paid/Taxes paid/loans repaid before they start wasting the new money.

We do not have enough elite clubs, we must create them from this opportunity, to do that SL2 must be full time 50% of SL1 with caveats creates 24 full time clubs into which 'new' clubs can enter and grow so that come 2021 we may have 12 truly elite clubs and a vibrant comp below creating the competition needed to keep the top truly elite. In that mix I would love to see 4 french 2 welsh and 2 London, and hopefully one or two of the new boys eg Oxford/Gloucester/Hemel 

Exactly BB. Given that there has been no official announcement from the RFL of the size of the deal and the only information has been about £200M tweeted without clarification then the rush of people on here to work out how £40M p.a. should be divvied up is hilarious.

Was there any announcement of how much a Sky Sports subscription will cost over the next five or seven years as well?

Why is it hilarious?

The only figures for the new 5 year TV deal knocking around is £200m from a couple of journos. The discussion on this forum is then how you would split this.

If you think that's hilarious, I suspect you need to get out more!

Good to see a better deal as reported but if it was a really transformation amount of money the RFL would be shouting the amount to the heavens.

Until it is announced I will assume it is a reasonable increase but not outstanding. Never-the-less good news.

if it was a really transformation amount of money the RFL would be shouting the amount to the heavens.

Game changing, says the RFL

http://www.therfl.co.uk/news/article/29400/super-league-agrees-game-changing

The Policy Review couldn't be clearer - half Tier 1's money to Tier 2. It makes sense to me - what we have are more potentially strong clubs than SL can accommodate - a large number of whom have won major trophies more recently than nearly half the existing SL clubs. For the biggest clubs, a few 100k simply isn't going to make a massive difference, so they could be persuaded, for the struggling clubs, their biggest fear is what if we slip down a division, and so having a guaranteed parachute makes sense. The benefits for Tier 2 clubs are obvious.

For those who mentioned the Dark Side, I couldn't care less, but perhaps they simply don't have the equivalent factors to consider.

We struggle to beat the Aussies with the pool of talent we have, if Fev, Leigh, Fax, the Cumbrians etc have money to spend on bringing on more juniors our chances have to be much higher.

The Policy Review couldn't be clearer - half Tier 1's money to Tier 2. It makes sense to me - what we have are more potentially strong clubs than SL can accommodate - a large number of whom have won major trophies more recently than nearly half the existing SL clubs. For the biggest clubs, a few 100k simply isn't going to make a massive difference, so they could be persuaded, for the struggling clubs, their biggest fear is what if we slip down a division, and so having a guaranteed parachute makes sense. The benefits for Tier 2 clubs are obvious.

For those who mentioned the Dark Side, I couldn't care less, but perhaps they simply don't have the equivalent factors to consider.

We struggle to beat the Aussies with the pool of talent we have, if Fev, Leigh, Fax, the Cumbrians etc have money to spend on bringing on more juniors our chances have to be much higher.

Can't wait for the season to start so I can go back to disagreeing with you!

The Policy Review couldn't be clearer - half Tier 1's money to Tier 2.

Not quite.  It says the top 2 in Tier 2 get 50% (or very near) to SL's share; there is then a slide down to the bottom but with clubs 3 & 4 doing significantly better than the rest of the division.  Tier 3 gets a uniform amount.

Not quite.  It says the top 2 in Tier 2 get 50% (or very near) to SL's share; there is then a slide down to the bottom but with clubs 3 & 4 doing significantly better than the rest of the division.  Tier 3 gets a uniform amount.

Yes, I think this is one of the things that causes some concern for many, hopefully they can revisit this now to create a level playing field within that division, with a half decent amount.

Isn't it very rare for amounts to be officially released by the governing body or the broadcaster these days?

The Premier League ones are released; I'm sure the Premier Rugby [union] one with BT was released as well.

It sounds to me like France has a french tv deal as well.Toulouse?

Where did you read that?

Glad to hear about the TV rights; I'll wait out for information through the LE and other league outlets to hear the detail; hope it is a really good deal as speculated! Just hope the clubs don't waist the money as per 1996 by simple throwing the money into the players pockets; PLEASE invest in the grassroots and club structures as any new structure will fall flat on its behind without key changes to the game's foundations.

I also hope something is put in place for the Championship 1 clubs as well...

Not quite. It says the top 2 in Tier 2 get 50% (or very near) to SL's share; there is then a slide down to the bottom but with clubs 3 & 4 doing significantly better than the rest of the division. Tier 3 gets a uniform amount.

I would imagine that split is based on the current TV money. With the increase I hope and expect this to be looked at again come 2017

Archived