Sky Sports - New TV Deal (Merged Threads)

However the clubs decide to divvy up the money I hope they:

1. Set aside a big budget to properly promote the game and its showpiece events
  2. Ensure all full time clubs implement the best possible Acadamy/Scholarship structures.  Money for this (say £200K) should be withheld each season if certain standards have not been met.

I'm crossing my fingers that the lessons of the past have been learned.  Hopefully this influx of money is not spent by short sighted chairmen on second grade Aussies (we still won't be able to afford the top players).  This is a golden opportunity to grow the game in the UK and build a strong future for the code.

Sadly, I fear we lack the leadership in the game for anybody to stick their head above the parapet and take a long term view for the best interests of the game as a whole.  

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm worried about getting ahead of myself and then being let down, but if it is £200m for five years that's HUGE for the game.

Of course it is! The detail in the LE will be really interesting on Monday; my worry is they'll waste it as it'll go into the players pockets and the gaps between leagues will widen...

The biggest thing this deal does for me is it makes the 3x8s possible. I wasn't particularly a fan given RLs current funding level made it almost impossible to work unless SL clubs took a large reduction in TV money. Which obviously was never going to happen. If the funding for the second 12 can get close to half that of SL clubs I can see this working. I dont think it will suddenly make it easy for championship clubs to get promoted. It will though protect any relegated club from total meltdown. Which was my biggest worry with this system. Allowing that club to retain a core of fulltime players.

The biggest thing this deal does for me is it makes the 3x8s possible.

I've read on another forum that the SL clubs want a minimum of £2m a year from the TV deal; if that is the case, expect nobody to promote EVER unless a SL inexplicable self combusts! Interesting to read LE on Monday...

(Right that's me done...! :tongue:)

If you can name one poster that thinks SL chairman will pay attention to what they're saying on a message board, then you may have a point.

Otherwise, you've just made up a reason to justify having a bit of a dig.

indeed. I think some people get confused about what a fans forum is.

I have been wondering for quite some time what changed the minds of the so called Rebels, It is inconcievable that they did not know about this, we have to wait and see.

The main thing is that If the deal is as good as is being talked about, It is very good, and for me the main thing is it secures top class games on Sky for years to come.

It's now just a matter of the share out, I don't really understand why all the figures for the new system were quoted, if this was in the pipeline, but that's a minor detail.

I am a bit worried about the amount, ( wrongly ) hopefully, But someone did have a point, about shouting figures out if they were good.

It certainly won't be less, so that in itself is good, Let's hope It's really good.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

I've read on another forum that the SL clubs want a minimum of £2m a year from the TV deal; ff that is the case, expect nobody to promote EVER unless a SL inexplicable self combusts! Interesting to read LE on Monday...

(Right that's mean done...! :tongue:)

even giving some clubs an extra 5-600k will still see some of them being poor teams.

I have been wondering for quite some time what changed the minds of the so called Rebels, It is inconcievable that they did not know about this, we have to wait and see.

The main thing is that If the deal is as good as is being talked about, It is very good, and for me the main thing is it secures top class games on Sky for years to come.

It's now just a matter of the share out, I don't really understand why all the figures for the new system were quoted, if this was in the pipeline, but that's a minor detail.

I am a bit worried about the amount, ( wrongly ) hopefully, But someone did have a point, about shouting figures out if they were good.

It certainly won't be less, so that in itself is good, Let's hope It's really good.

the rebels didnt change their mind. They voted against it. Koukash was still banging on about wanting more power and wanting Wood out as SLE chief.

They lost the vote and hav3 to live with it and move on.

I've read on another forum that the SL clubs want a minimum of £2m a year from the TV deal; ff that is the case, expect nobody to promote EVER unless a SL inexplicable self combusts! Interesting to read LE on Monday...

(Right that's mean done...! :tongue:)

This is what i have been wondering at, Before the actual vote they were saying they needed more money to keep up the standards ( i can see this  )  But how much more is the crux.

the rebels didnt change their mind. They voted against it. Koukash was still banging on about wanting more power and wanting Wood out as SLE chief.

They lost the vote and hav3 to live with it and move on.

Yes i realise that Dave, but i also realise If they wanted to stop it ,there were things they could have done,

But i don't want to wander off thread, I can wait for the full outcome.

As it stands It's good news.

Yes i realise that Dave, but i also realise If they wanted to stop it ,there were things they could have done,

But i don't want to wander off thread, I can wait for the full outcome.

As it stands It's good news.

There wasn't really much else they could do at all apart from walking away, which is ott and Im sure nobody wanted.

Well it seems to be a reasonable comparable to Aviva premier.   

Wonder if the RFL thought about breaking up media rights into packages including the GF as a major separate event, play-offs as a package, and even magic. etc.  At least keeping Sky on their competitive toe's....

I also note that sky says it includes selected challenge cup games.

Yeah Fair enough mate , all will be revealed in the fullness of time.

will be interesting to see if there is still a push for control of SL by club owners. Despite my club being in the unhappy camp I hope any bid for control fails.

will be interesting to see if there is still a push for control of SL by club owners. Despite my club being in the unhappy camp I hope any bid for control fails.

Personally i wouldn't be bothered, but then I am turned 75 so most of my League days are behind me, That could be influencing my views, If they don't go down that route It would indicate something has sweetened at least some of them

The new structures is still awful Sky money can't hide that fact.

And this is nothing more than Sky making sure they put one of their prime money spinners out of the reach of BT.

The scheduling of various games will be interesting, I expect plenty of whinging from certain quarters when they have to kick-off at 9:00pm on a Wednesday.

I suspect that Sky had the RFL over a barrel, they may well have approached them and said here is an increased offer, take it or leave it. Leave it and we pull the plug and you get what BT want to pay after we have said we are ditching rugby league. Back to one offer on the table and no competition, BT would then have a choice of propping up the game to Skys level or killing it off by either making no offer or a much lower one. Could the RFL take that risk.

Sky are ruthless in their dealings and I suspect they have used their stranglehold on RL to ensure they don't get into a bidding war with BT, which ultimately may have meant losing RL or paying a lot more for it than the offer they have put on the table.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

And this is nothing more than Sky making sure they put one of their prime money spinners out of the reach of BT.

The scheduling of various games will be interesting, I expect plenty of whinging from certain quarters when they have to kick-off at 9:00pm on a Wednesday.

I suspect that Sky had the RFL over a barrel, they may well have approached them and said here is an increased offer, take it or leave it. Leave it and we pull the plug and you get what BT want to pay after we have said we are ditching rugby league. Back to one offer on the table and no competition, BT would then have a choice of propping up the game to Skys level or killing it off by either making no offer or a much lower one. Could the RFL take that risk.

Sky are ruthless in their dealings and I suspect they have used their stranglehold on RL to ensure they don't get into a bidding war with BT, which ultimately may have meant losing RL or paying a lot more for it than the offer they have put on the table.

But if you pay more to avoid a bidding war, hasn't BT's presence served a useful purpose?,

It hasn't changed my mind about the new Struture, But i can see it has a far better chance with more money and some TV coverage. It will still all depend on the share out.

But if you pay more to avoid a bidding war, hasn't BT's presence served a useful purpose?,

Oh yes, but I think a bidding war would have seen us with a higher return and Sky knew that, so they have stitched us up before it could get to a bidding war.

BT's presence has increased our value to Sky but highlighted how weak we are in that we could not risk a bidding war where Sky could leave us at the mercy of what BT would offer if the only bidder.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

It hasn't changed my mind about the new Struture, But i can see it has a far better chance with more money and some TV coverage. It will still all depend on the share out.

As awful as the new structure is some of its cracks can be covered by having more money. What it won't address is the problem of how many players we have to play at the top level. I expect a large proportion of extra money to be thrown at overseas players as quick fixes and player development to be degraded further rather than increased.

As an aside, according to Neil Hudgell on Twitter, he had only two hours to consider the Sky TV deal.  He considers that to be 'indecent haste'.

That tweet didn't exactly fill me with confidence.

Or indecent pressure.

Archived