Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave T

Sponsorship outrage!

My y concern, if you like ,, my objection is that it makes "policing" of a smoking ban more difficult in a stadium. That is if we believe that smoking is rightly banned from the stadium, whether that be because of the impact on those non smokers close too the smoker as well to the other extreme of heath and safety, as in minimising the risk of fire,,, particularly in older stadia.    

Surely allowing e-cigarettes whatever their merits makes it difficult to "police" and enforce the smoking ban. In a smaller place like a pub it is easier to check-point individuals as to whether it is a real or pretend cigarette. Whereas, and as I say, in a stadium within a large crowd it makes it impossible for the stewards, etc.   We know some people will just take advantage and not everyone feels comfortable challenging someone else and hence its the stewarding the ban relies on.

I can and do.

Whoopee! Good for you. Some clearly can't.

I used to abstain from cigarettes when at matches too back when I smoked.  Whoopee!  Good for me.

That's how I feel about people who use alcohol. Such a pity they can't abstain for a couple of hours.

drinking and sport go hand in hand, it isnt a necessity, it is a part of the experience, a little like having a wine with a meal.

People have a beer watching sport in the pub or on the terraces where possible, it is not the same thing.

Last yearvWarrington had banned these. I ask again, why do you think they changed their mind?

Had they changed their mind based on health advice and just tested it then fair enough. The fact they have done it for money, and will actually sell branded versions of these is out of order.

My y concern, if you like ,, my objection is that it makes "policing" of a smoking ban more difficult in a stadium. That is if we believe that smoking is rightly banned from the stadium, whether that be because of the impact on those non smokers close too the smoker as well to the other extreme of heath and safety, as in minimising the risk of fire,,, particularly in older stadia.    

Surely allowing e-cigarettes whatever their merits makes it difficult to "police" and enforce the smoking ban. In a smaller place like a pub it is easier to check-point individuals as to whether it is a real or pretend cigarette. Whereas, and as I say, in a stadium within a large crowd it makes it impossible for the stewards, etc.   We know some people will just take advantage and not everyone feels comfortable challenging someone else and hence its the stewarding the ban relies on.

It's very easy to tell the difference between a smoker and a vaper.  One produces smoke and one produces vapour.  One uses cigarettes and the other uses e-cigs which, VIP excuded, look nothing like cigarettes and have to be held differently from cigarettes as they are solid and heavier.  Oh, and they don't get thrown on the floor either.

Vapour dissipates very quickly and doesn't smell.  Smoke hangs around for quite a while and does smell.  It's really not rocket science and nor is it any reason to ban e-cigs.

Vapour dissipates very quickly and doesn't smell.  

A lie.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

drinking and sport go hand in hand, it isnt a necessity, it is a part of the experience, a little like having a wine with a meal.

People have a beer watching sport in the pub or on the terraces where possible, it is not the same thing.

Last yearvWarrington had banned these. I ask again, why do you think they changed their mind?

Had they changed their mind based on health advice and just tested it then fair enough. The fact they have done it for money, and will actually sell branded versions of these is out of order.

Drinking any pretty much anything go hand in hand according to some, just indeed as smoking used to.  The only difference between the two is that drinking is trendy and smoking no longer is.  Both have significant health risks and too much alcohol is also bad for family and community harmony.  But neither is like e-cigs which if there is a health risk - and that is yet to be determined - is nothing like either of the aforementioned drugs and doesn't have any negative impact on family and community harmony.

Warrington probably banned them because 2013 was when all the nonsense about them being a gateway into smoking started up.  Now the evidence is showing that actually they are not.  Advertising is being allowed and health professionals as well as ASH are coming out in support, not because e-cigs are harmless - nicotine is a drug after all - but because they are considerably less harmful than smoking, they are becoming the smoker's choice for quitting (as opposed to some imposed version like patches and gum, both of which are losing sales to e-cigs) and they are of no harm whatsoever to others, nor do they smell or leave disgusting butts around the place.  Warrington probably realised they had become sanctimonious pratts and were losing out as a result.  They have now come around to the sensible way of thinking, a way of thinking that is being supported by the medical profession and other parties interested in getting people off tobacco.

Medical advice is that e-cigs are preferable to tobacco and can be helpful in assisting people to quit. Totally Wicked have put on promotion days at Saints where they have offered free throwaway e-cigs when swapped for a pack of cigarettes as a means of promoting a healthier lifestyle.  I'd say that was a pretty responsible approach and one that is win-win IMO.

A lie.

Are you accusing me of lying?

I use e-cigs.  My e-cigs don't smell and the vapour dissipates quickly. 

Medical advice is that e-cigs are preferable to tobacco and can be helpful in assisting people to quit.

Another lie.

Totally Wicked have put on promotion days at Saints where they have offered free throwaway e-cigs when swapped for a pack of cigarettes as a means of promoting a healthier lifestyle.  I'd say that was a pretty responsible approach and one that is win-win IMO.

Sounds like they gave you some kool-aid at the same time.

It's not a question of coming down to earth, Mr Duxbury. Some of us, Mr Duxbury, belong in the stars.

Given that the vapor from e-cigs lingers and smells, I'll just assume you're in denial about it.  Kinda like how smokers in general don't notice their odour.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Drinking any pretty much anything go hand in hand according to some, just indeed as smoking used to.  The only difference between the two is that drinking is trendy and smoking no longer is.  Both have significant health risks and too much alcohol is also bad for family and community harmony.  But neither is like e-cigs which if there is a health risk - and that is yet to be determined - is nothing like either of the aforementioned drugs and doesn't have any negative impact on family and community harmony.

Warrington probably banned them because 2013 was when all the nonsense about them being a gateway into smoking started up.  Now the evidence is showing that actually they are not.  Advertising is being allowed and health professionals as well as ASH are coming out in support, not because e-cigs are harmless - nicotine is a drug after all - but because they are considerably less harmful than smoking, they are becoming the smoker's choice for quitting (as opposed to some imposed version like patches and gum, both of which are losing sales to e-cigs) and they are of no harm whatsoever to others, nor do they smell or leave disgusting butts around the place.  Warrington probably realised they had become sanctimonious pratts and were losing out as a result.  They have now come around to the sensible way of thinking, a way of thinking that is being supported by the medical profession and other parties interested in getting people off tobacco.

Medical advice is that e-cigs are preferable to tobacco and can be helpful in assisting people to quit. Totally Wicked have put on promotion days at Saints where they have offered free throwaway e-cigs when swapped for a pack of cigarettes as a means of promoting a healthier lifestyle.  I'd say that was a pretty responsible approach and one that is win-win IMO.

Much of what you say makes complete sense and if they help you and others to quit smoking that's got to be a good thing but I don't think the lesser of two evils argument is a convincing one when it comes to sport sonsorship. These products aren't about  a healthier lifestyle, They're all about making money out of a dependency on a highly addictive harmful toxin. For a sports club to enter into a sponsorship deal with the manufacturers of such products seems wholly inappropriate to me and more than a little tawdry if I'm being honest.

To get back to the specific thread topic, as Dave T has pointed out, the Warrington deal just smacks of rank hypocrisy.

Old Faithful we never lose at Wembley

The reality is, gambling and drinking can be enjoyable in moderation without damage (i think), im not sure smoking can ever be an enjoyable leisurely pastime that should be encouraged.

If these help smokers, fine, but that has nothing to do with a RL stadium.

I hear nicotine patches help people give up fags  so why not just use them .  there far less annoying than e cigs and have proven health benefits.

unfortunately  there not as trendy

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.

does life get any better .

I hear nicotine patches help people give up fags so why not just use them . there far less annoying than e cigs and have proven health benefits.

unfortunately there not as trendy

they didnt offer Warrington money to have their name on the Stand.

Yes chances are that is true.

There again, they did used to advertise Craven A (cork tipped) as being good for your throat and Woodpecker cider as 'ideal for motorists' so I might not entirely trust what I read. ;)

And don't forget the toothpaste and condoms with added radium. Claimed to be a major enhancement to your life.

I use e-cigs. My e-cigs don't smell and the vapour dissipates quickly.

They smell, no doubt about it.

Seeing as smokers have previously destroyed their sense of smell e-cig converts would never notice.

Once upon a time, you could buy Uranium salts from the chemists to rub on your face.

They gave your cheeks a "healthy" look by making your cheeks look rosy.

It was later discovered, that this in fact was a radiation burn.

Promoting a new delivery system for a highly addictive drug at a family sport is pathetic.

the e vs real cigarette health debate is a separate issue.

Give up Saintlass

You aint going to convince or turn this lot

I've yet to hear that e-cigs users cause havoc or expenditure by the NHS A&E departments,unlike what happens most days due to alcohol,drinking alcohol kills and destroys more people than e-cigs will ever do

Yet they are all happy to take the breweries sponsorship money

Double standards to say the least

From what I know it is water vapour infused with nicotine. Hence you get the nicotine without the effects of the smoke.

Although I know a lad who uses them not to give up smoking but as an 'inbetween' for when he can't have an actual cig.

Thanks for that.

I'm finding this thread really interesting - it's introduced me to something I didn't know anything about. I've never seen anyone smoking an e-cig, I don't think. Maybe more popular in the UK than Aus?

Or maybe I've just not noticed!

Now I'm off to google to find out more.

Thanks for that.

I'm finding this thread really interesting - it's introduced me to something I didn't know anything about. I've never seen anyone smoking an e-cig, I don't think. Maybe more popular in the UK than Aus?

Or maybe I've just not noticed!

Now I'm off to google to find out more.

Its the fashion over here you'll get it in about 10 years

Bit like clothing :tongue:

I don't see much problem with them sponsoring the stand. But the ban lifting, and the club branded, just seems too much like "selling out". Never mind the health debates. 

That's how I feel about people who use alcohol.  Such a pity they can't abstain for a couple of hours.

I don't drink during games.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Wow really surprised at some of the posters on here.

Some of whom I thought were thoughtful chaps and chappesses.

To be fair I've not posted for a while but the lack of science is shocking.

I'm no smoker, never have been,  I'm also no SaintsFan  (gettit)   

However, there seems to be a massive outcry over something that is basically as unpleasent as watching someone chewing gum.   

I'd rather they ban alcohol at clubs before e-cigs.  The science behind the harm of alcohol is well proven.  Ecigs on the other hand are a handy tool that smokers can use as a stopping tool, reduction or replacement to cigerettes.

Please please don't be daily mail reactionaries.   

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/311887/Ecigarettes_report.pdf

Potential hazards of electronic cigarettes relate primarily to the purity of nicotine
emissions, and the effects of long-term exposure to vapour. Evidence on these is
summarised in section 2.3 above, but relate primarily to the effects of substances other
than nicotine in the vapour. Overall however the hazards associated with use of
products currently on the market is likely to be extremely low, and certainly much lower
than smoking. They could be reduced further still by applying appropriate product
standards.
Electronic cigarettes do not produce smoke so the well-documented effects of passive
exposure of others to cigarette smoke[9, 10]
are clearly not relevant. 

Read and then judge.

There are unknowns and there are bad vaping products but in the UK these would not be licensed.

It's all about da bass