Dewsbury 28 Featherstone 38 - discussion, report, highlights

DewsburyRams4ever

On that showing Fev will win more than they loose. They were very quick with the ball. We let ourselves down with ball retention or lack of it. There were early signs that Fev are favouring themselves as an attacking side and can't tackle as well as some. Keep hold of the ball and the opposition can't score.

In all we are a long way on from the rubbish at Hunslet, and IMO, be a bit more positive going into a tough Easter program.

The future's bright, the future's RED AMBER & BLACK!

http://www.jmgaskets-seals.co.uk/ image.png.96e4130d8b139666bf34e8fcdead30d9.png

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On that showing Fev will win more than they loose. They were very quick with the ball. We let ourselves down with ball retention or lack of it. There were early signs that Fev are favouring themselves as an attacking side and can't tackle as well as some. Keep hold of the ball and the opposition can't score.

In all we are a long way on from the rubbish at Hunslet, and IMO, be a bit more positive going into a tough Easter program.

Well said. That performance was miles better than hunslet and if we play like that ( with better ball retention) Mid table should be comfortable.

My lovely wife asked a simple but interesting question last night mind and on rugby matters this is a rare thing. At half time she asked "Instead of signing 51 players why didn't we sign a few really good ones"? I said you lot would know the answer. Please.

To all the Fev fans thanks for the comments regarding our ground and fans , The comments you made are just what the Amber ribbon are working at, the bar was like a garage last year at this time. We wanrt fans to come enjoy the game and also the surroundings. Well done last night on your win tough game but you edged it on playing the ball with pace , our errors didnt help but to be fair the best team won on the night good luck for the rest of the campaign.

There are certain people on this forum who are suppose to be Dewsbury fans however all they seem to do is be Picking the negatives out , Any chance we could actually get behind the lads and support Glen and the boys on entertaining us. I think it would be rather boring if we was winning week in week out.

There are certain people on this forum who are suppose to be Dewsbury fans however all they seem to do is be Picking the negatives out , Any chance we could actually get behind the lads and support Glen and the boys on entertaining us. I think it would be rather boring if we was winning week in week out.

trust me.... it's not boring....

But I do take your point

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

I think like your rrsults its split 50/50

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

For what it's worth, here are my comments from last night's game. Fev were definitely the best team on the night, and thoroughly deserved to win. Helped by a fast PTB and very good ball distribution from their hooker Irwin who had a cracking game imo.

The 2 stand offs from last night, were both team mates last season at Wakefield, and it was easy to see who got the best one. Sykes was very dominant all night, and controlled most things on the park. We're still waiting to see Wildie have a good game. Maybe he might click into gear soon?

M Haggerty had a shocking game! Making mistakes left right and centre. I'm sure this wasn't lost on Morro.

On a more positive note, I thought that it was an exciting game to watch, (much better than the horror show at Hunslet ) and the stadium looked impressive under the floodlights with a decent crowd in to compliment it. Highlight for me was watching Maka nearly knock Blackmore's rib cage into the grandstand. What a beauty!

The game was lost in the first half.Fev should not have been gifted so many points.There was a period when Makka and jacko seemed to be making a difference down the middle.Yet we continued playing open rugby when we were off our game and they were firing on all four.I cant figure out why we threw the ball about like maniacs in our own 25 on the first tackle while winning the game.Never cant linger on this with the mutts next up.Changes drop Heggarty Brown to stand off bring Farall in and Smith.

As a Dewsbury fan, who gets behind the team, I have to mention the negatives in the hope that some members of the team, or better still, the coaching staff, will read our comments and try to fix matters.

Whilst most of us will agree thst Featherstone deserved the win, I must say they seemed to score mostly from our errors and was most disappointed with our defence. We left great gaps as Fev played the ball quickly; they made ground at a fair pace, whereas on attack, we seemed to lumber forward at times. Why do we make tackling a player so difficult; what is wring with grabbing the opponent's legs? Instead of doing that, it would seem modern coaching tends to have three or four players grappling (dancing at times).with an opponent, thus allowing him to keep moving. This leaky defence needs plugging soon, otherwise I fear what Bradford and Leigh will do to us.

Mention has been made of Haggarty's poor game, but I (and others) are concerned about how Dale Morton's game has deteriorated. Did he sidestep Sharp, allowing the opposing winger to score his try instead of tackling him? There were others having a poor game and some wild passes were thrown too.

On attack, we need to give more of the ball to Grant; his try, thanks to Hyde's astute kick was great, but not sure what more he did to win the MoM award. I am not knocking him here, but we need him more involved.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

Dont worry the criticism on here will be nothing to what the gaffer gives the lads.I think we are still capable of being jn a top four scrap .i think alot of the posts are born out of frustration.Everybody says how good Fev were and that we were slightly off the boil.Yet we scored 30 points past them.

I missed this match but am concerned at a trend that seems to be developing.

As has been said elsewhere this is a close league with a kot of good teams in it who can all beat each other on the day. In our case, however, the onlys surprise that we have sprung so far is to snatch a defeat at Hunslet: we have played well for periods against seemingly stronger opponents but still contrived to lose. If we retain this habit then the end of the season might develop into something more interesting, but in a nerve-wracking sense.

I don't know the answers but do see the pattern developing.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Don't be hard on yourselves. Most points come from enforced errors.Take your try just before the interval. Knowing the clock had run down Fev should have played a little safer.You have a good side and you will win most games with that form. Good luck for the rest of season.

60 percent completion rate again.. No wonder we lost.. Forcing stupid balls for no reason and dropping balls Is what's costing us and then giving away silly penaltys meaning we are doing too much defending. Possession and ball retention and completing sets is what we need to improve on other wise we will be in a relegation scrap. Needs improving fast too because worryingly it's every week. We just need to go back to basics abit more rather than chucking daft balls and then knocking on.Improve on all this and we will be in top 6. It's not rocket science where we are going wrong and frustrating thing is we are own worst enemy!Dale Morton shouldn't be in team IMO dissapointed in him most this season but that said he wasn't alone Friday.. Not one for liking to have ago at the lads because never a lack of effort by the side but would of much rather had sykesy here than wildie. The lad still watches our games when not playing and I think wanted to join us but we'd already got wildie so couldn't afford Sykesys wages. I reckon Sykes and Thackeray would of been a better half back combo

60 percent completion rate again.. No wonder we lost.. Forcing stupid balls for no reason and dropping balls Is what's costing us and then giving away silly penaltys meaning we are doing too much defending. Possession and ball retention and completing sets is what we need to improve on other wise we will be in a relegation scrap. Needs improving fast too because worryingly it's every week. We just need to go back to basics abit more rather than chucking daft balls and then knocking on.Improve on all this and we will be in top 6. It's not rocket science where we are going wrong and frustrating thing is we are own worst enemy!Dale Morton shouldn't be in team IMO dissapointed in him most this season but that said he wasn't alone Friday.. Not one for liking to have ago at the lads because never a lack of effort by the side but would of much rather had sykesy here than wildie. The lad still watches our games when not playing and I think wanted to join us but we'd already got wildie so couldn't afford Sykesys wages. I reckon Sykes and Thackeray would of been a better half back combo

Dont be too harsh on your indiscipline the penalty count was 14 to 6 against Fev so I understand.

Dont be too harsh on your indiscipline the penalty count was 14 to 6 against Fev so I understand.

Like i said i think its a bit of frustration.Call it a bad run and every team has one,but were not playing our best.It will come but  considering this to play like we did against a very confident team.was a bit suicidal.There was a period where Azoo and Jacko seemed to be having an effect down the middle  In this league there are times when playing teams like Bfd and on that performance Fev.Where champaign rugby will not work.

Like i said i think its a bit of frustration.Call it a bad run and every team has one,but were not playing our best.It will come but  considering this to play like we did against a very confident team.was a bit suicidal.There was a period where Azoo and Jacko seemed to be having an effect down the middle  In this league there are times when playing teams like Bfd and on that performance Fev.Where champaign rugby will not work.

Will it come soon enought though?

23 games is quite a short programme before we split into probables and possibles, and I can't see us toughing it out with the big lads this year. In reality I can't see us struggling either but we look like our best hope is competing for the Div III plate at the end of the season.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

I don't know the answers but do see the pattern developing.

I've looked closely at this Pattern BSJ and I think its for a cardigan with three sleeves

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

As a Dewsbury fan, who gets behind the team, I have to mention the negatives in the hope that some members of the team, or better still, the coaching staff, will read our comments and try to fix matters.

Do you really think Morrison needs assistance from the fans to "try to fix matters"?

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

Do you really think Morrison needs assistance from the fans to "try to fix matters"?

Sometimes the eyes can't see what they don't want to.

Archived