Sign in to follow this  
ckn

£12bn in welfare cuts

Summed up perfectly!

From a personal POV this is the first budget in I can't remember how long that perfectly suits me. I don't have children and so any reduction in wider benefits has no impact. When I'm in work I am better off because I always work fulltime and so received no benefits anyway and get paid more due to the rise in tax threshold.

In other words "I'm alright Jack, everyone else." Nice.

In most recent budgets we've done quite well (according to the KPMG budget calculator we'll be about £250pa better off this time) for similar reasons to yourself. Doesn't make it right for the wider economy though.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

We can hardly be expected to take account of your lack of knowledge when posting can we? Maybe you should read a little more and you might be a little more learned and a lot less ignorant and reactionary.

And be as learned as you ? So learned that your brand of politics is completely out of touch with modern life and rejected by anyone of sound mind. Tell me, how many votes did your Left Unity party get in the general election ? The grand total of 455 I believe. You keep the red flag flying mate, you're doing a great job.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

£132 better off according to KPMG.  

£20 odd billion in cuts, £47 billion in tax rises.

Typical tax and spend tory.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

In other words "I'm alright Jack, ###### everyone else." Nice.

In most recent budgets we've done quite well (according to the KPMG budget calculator we'll be about £250pa better off this time) for similar reasons to yourself. Doesn't make it right for the wider economy though.

This budget really does help poor people without children a lot. Back in the New Labour days the combination of a low minimum wage and punitive taxes on low earners made it impossible to live off a full time minimum wage job if you dared not have children and I think that was wrong

On the other hand the ESA work related activity group cuts are very wrong and I would have scrapped the upper earnings limit on NI (whilst also scrapping the 45% tax bracket) and reduced the scale of the tax credit cuts

Edited by bowes

This budget really does help poor people without children a lot. Back in the New Labour days the combination of a low minimum wage and punitive taxes on low earners made it impossible to live off a full time minimum wage job if you dared not have children and I think that was wrong

On the other hand the ESA work related activity group cuts are very wrong and I would have scrapped the upper earnings limit on NI (whilst also scrapping the 45% tax bracket) and reduced the scale of the tax credit cuts

As opposed to the pre New Labour days of no minimum wage you mean.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

IFS eh.

They have also condemned the tax rises: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/budget/11730119/George-Osbornes-6.5billion-tax-hike-condemned-by-Institute-for-Fiscal-Studies.html

According to the IFS, it's bad to reign back benefits and it's bad to increase taxes mostly (though not exclusively) affecting the better off. 

So you're prepared to accept the IFS when it agrees with your prejudices but not when it doesn't.  BTW "rein" in that context doesn't have a "g" I hope you're not an English teacher.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

In other words "I'm alright Jack, ###### everyone else." Nice.

They may be your words petal but they weren't mine.

He hasn't cut child benefit.  He hasn't touched it at all.

CEySJ32WYAADZxk.jpg

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

CEySJ32WYAADZxk.jpg

Child benefit is what used to be called Family Allowance and it's a universal benefit (well, almost - if memory serves the coalition government limited it based on earnings up to £50,000pa).

Child tax credit - and it is tax credits that have been reduced - is a benefit only available to certain families.

Have a looky here because after all, according to WearyRhino, I'm not expected to take account of your lack of knowledge: https://www.gov.uk/browse/benefits

Child benefit is what used to be called Family Allowance and it's a universal benefit (well, almost - if memory serves the coalition government limited it based on earnings up to £50,000pa).

Child tax credit - and it is tax credits that have been reduced - is a benefit only available to certain families.

Have a looky here because after all, according to WearyRhino, I'm not expected to take account of your lack of knowledge: https://www.gov.uk/browse/benefits

You obviously still haven't read it, so I will spell it out for you:

He said child tax credit had increased under his government by £450, telling the audience: "That's not going to fall."

You obviously still haven't read it, so I will spell it out for you:

He said child tax credit had increased under his government by £450, telling the audience: "That's not going to fall."

You referred to 'child benefit'.  Since I knew there had been no mention of child benefit in the budget, I didn't bother reading something that according to your link reference was irrelevant.

I don't remember there being an announcement on child tax credit being reduced, only that it wouldn't be available for more than two children.  Where is the announcement that it was reduced?  I must have missed it.

You referred to 'child benefit'. Since I knew there had been no mention of child benefit in the budget, I didn't bother reading something that according to your link reference was irrelevant.

I don't remember there being an announcement on child tax credit being reduced, only that it wouldn't be available for more than two children. Where is the announcement that it was reduced? I must have missed it.

So, if you have more than 2 children it IS being reduced. Moreover, as all working age benefits are being frozen they are all effectively being reduced.

You do realise that people have died and are going to continue to die because of the withdrawal of benefits don't you. Have you read about that?

Edited by WearyRhino

Child tax credit has not been cut. The eligibility criteria has changed, which is a different thing altogether. Those who currently receive CTC for more than 2 children will continue to do so. The restriction to 2 children only applies to new claimants.

Tax Credits

Any family which has a third or subsequent child born after April 2017 will not qualify for Child Tax Credit, which amounts to up to £2,780 a year per child. This will also apply to families claiming Universal Credit for the first time after April 2017.

Four legs good - two legs bad

Child tax credit has not been cut. The eligibility criteria has changed, which is a different thing altogether. Those who currently receive CTC for more than 2 children will continue to do so. The restriction to 2 children only applies to new claimants.

Semantic nonsense. If families had previously been entitled to CTC for more than 2 children and that has now been restricted to the first 2 children then that is a cut. It will take money away from families previously entitled and be kept in the treasury. Otherwise why are they doing it? So much for the Tories being the party of the family!

So, if you have more than 2 children it IS being reduced. Moreover, as all working age benefits are being frozen they are all effectively being reduced.

You do realise that people have died and are going to continue to die because of the withdrawal of benefits don't you. Have you read about that?

Working age benefits have been frozen, not reduced.FACT.

You are wrong about your first sentence. As for your second, I am sure you you have absolute , unambiguous incontrovertible proof of causation.

You are wrong about your first sentence. As for your second, I am sure you you have absolute , unambiguous incontrovertible proof of causation.

There a significant body of evidence yes, as HMG refuse to release the data it's impossible to put figures on it.

Semantic nonsense. If families had previously been entitled to CTC for more than 2 children and that has now been restricted to the first 2 children then that is a cut. It will take money away from families previously entitled and be kept in the treasury. Otherwise why are they doing it? So much for the Tories being the party of the family!

Absolute garbage. Families with more than 2 children Currently will continue to receive tax credits for them.

The only people affected are those who have a 3rd child after April 2017. So how are they "entitled" to something that doesn't yet exist ? If people choose to have children after that date then they do so fully aware of the implications.

Absolute garbage. Families with more than 2 children Currently will continue to receive tax credits for them.

The only people affected are those who have a 3rd child after April 2017. So how are they "entitled" to something that doesn't yet exist ? If people choose to have children after that date then they do so fully aware of the implications.

Don't be so obtuse. It is a cut in entitlement. And consequently a cut in cash. Families are going to be worse off than they would have been. That is a cut.

Don't be so obtuse. It is a cut in entitlement. And consequently a cut in cash. Families are going to be worse off than they would have been. That is a cut.

Taking money away that the family never had isn't a cut. It's a change in entitlement. To saynitsba cut would presume they had the money in the first place.

Only in your head.

Families who are currently entitled to it will continue to receive it.

Families who aren't currently entitled to it will not receive it in future.

So where's the cut ? Who is any worse off than they currently are ?