Calais: what to do.

So what happens if Juncker says to the UK that we must open our borders and take 5000 migrants. Are we bound by some international or european law that says we must obey him and open our borders to them ?

If we are, then the In / Out referendum would see a huge surge of support for the 'Out' brigade fuelled by the right wing press. A decision on migrants would have far wider consequences for the whole of the EU.

Corbyn shakes up the Labour dead wood by winning the leadership; the Referendum vote takes us out of Europe; Cameron honours his commitment to the Northern Powerhouse; Regional assemblies take powers from Central Government. That would be my dream scenario. To be honest, two out of four would be acceptable.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what happens if Juncker says to the UK that we must open our borders and take 5000 migrants. Are we bound by some international or european law that says we must obey him and open our borders to them ?

No.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Can this thread carry a health warning? I've just read the whole thing and got a nosebleed.

Interesting viewpoints from all, especially the "sod 'em" camp, who splendidly seem to use "Saint" in their usernames.

Joan of Arc is a Saint. She was keen on killing the British.

If we are, then the In / Out referendum would see a huge surge of support for the 'Out' brigade fuelled by the right wing press. A decision on migrants would have far wider consequences for the whole of the EU.

Most of the EU arguably would be bound, but us and Denmark have an opt out

Most of the EU arguably would be bound, but us and Denmark have an opt out

Hungary are building a fence on the Serbian border to stop Illegal Immigrants coming up from the Balkan Regions. On Kos the Police are starting to have regular battles with the illegal immigrants. Many people in Europe are saying enough is enough and some are calling for the reintroduction of border controls. The EU is very much lost its power that it once held and there is much unrest in Europe both with Illegal Immigrants and the EU. The EU seems to be clueless and powerless and this could see Nations ready to bend/break some EU Laws if the EU keep failing to have any answers or solutions on this and other matters. Politicans have been talking and pointing fingers of blame at others but we are no closer to any real solution than we was say 6 weeks ago

A Calais businessman has reportedly been arrested on suspicion of running a smuggling operation bringing migrants to the UK.

The man, believed to be director of a major retailer, is suspected of providing accommodation for migrants en route to Britain, according to police sources quoted by a local newspaper.The revelation was seized on by critics of French law enforcement officials, who have repeatedly said the problem is caused by gangs based in the UK.The businessman was reportedly arrested on Tuesday and is the seventh person to be arrested in the region as part of a major crackdown on an Albanian gang who hide migrants in lorries before ferrying them across the border.Police arrested four Albanian men and two French women on Monday after a five-month surveillance operation. Though the businessman's identity is unknown, he is believed to be the "directeur" of a hypermarket or another major retailer in the region of Calais, local newspaper La Voix Du Nord reported, quoting a police source close to the investigation.

see http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/11800053/Calais-businessman-arrested-over-migrant-smuggling-ring.html

Worth considering: the problem is not so much those trying to break down the fences to the tunnel, but those who get through undetected. We can't know the actual number, but  "estimates" put at at hundreds of thousands over the years.

Hungary are building a fence on the Serbian border to stop Illegal Immigrants coming up from the Balkan Regions. On Kos the Police are starting to have regular battles with the illegal immigrants. Many people in Europe are saying enough is enough and some are calling for the reintroduction of border controls. The EU is very much lost its power that it once held and there is much unrest in Europe both with Illegal Immigrants and the EU. The EU seems to be clueless and powerless and this could see Nations ready to bend/break some EU Laws if the EU keep failing to have any answers or solutions on this and other matters. Politicans have been talking and pointing fingers of blame at others but we are no closer to any real solution than we was say 6 weeks ago

The whole EU system is falling apart. While Brussels continues to 'talk about the problem' members states have started to take matters into their own hands regardless of what the EU parliament says. Juncker talks about forcing countries to open their doors but as people have pointed out Britian & Denmark have an opt-out while he actually has no legal powers to force other member states to do it. It makes a mockery of the whole EU system.

We have french farmers setting fires on the euro tunnel lines in protest at having their farming subsidies cut (amongst other things). What a joke of a system the farming subsidies is anyway where farmers can produce as much as they like regardless of whether there's a market for their produce, knowing that a big fat EU cheque will pop through their door every year anyway. Jeeze farmers can ever get paid for not farming land these days and let it grow wild - lunacy.

When a major crisis hits, like the migrant issue we have now then it clearly exposes just how weak, useless & ineffective the whole EU parliament system actually is.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

I'm sure that the  TRL Fans Forum Supreme Soviet Workers Committee can tell us why, if the Children's Society "Good Childhood Report 2015 is  correct, that "Children in England are among the unhappiest in the world, behind countries such as Ethiopia, Algeria and Romania", how come so many of them want to come here?

Here's an example of what we risk getting.

On Sunday, I caught a bus the three miles into Bradford city centre. Halfway there, a black African woman in traditional dress and her four kids got on .... three boys aged up to about nine and a baby in a pram. The boys were all eating chicken in cartons from a takeaway.

The (Asian) driver asked her how far she was going (the bus goes on beyond the city centre). The woman intimated that she couldn't understand what he was saying . (Funny, because all the takeaways in that area are owned by Muslims). He told her what the fare would be into town. The woman  shouted at him that she wouldn't pay more than one pound (for all five of them). The driver gave up and let her on.

Her journey? About 800 yards.

I'm sure that the  TRL Fans Forum Supreme Soviet Workers Committee can tell us why, if the Children's Society "Good Childhood Report 2015 is  correct, that "Children in England are among the unhappiest in the world, behind countries such as Ethiopia, Algeria and Romania", how come so many of them want to come here?

I think we've established that more go elsewhere in Europe.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On Sunday, I caught a bus the three miles into Bradford city centre. Halfway there, a black African woman in traditional dress and her four kids got on .... three boys aged up to about nine and a baby in a pram. The boys were all eating chicken in cartons from a takeaway.

The (Asian) driver asked her how far she was going (the bus goes on beyond the city centre). The woman intimated that she couldn't understand what he was saying . (Funny, because all the takeaways in that area are owned by Muslims). He told her what the fare would be into town. The woman  shouted at him that she wouldn't pay more than one pound (for all five of them). The driver gave up and let her on.

I understand the people of Bangkok are holding a minute's silence to reflect on your suffering.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I fail to see the correlation. However, if you'd like to give me a minute's silence from your constant carping, I would be greatly appreciative.

On the internet no one can hear me scream.

Other than they have brown skin how do you know the bus driver and the takeaway owners are Muslim? To help people like me who are less perceptive than yourself perhaps they could identify themselves in some way; an armband baring a yellow crescent maybe?

Not being able to speak English is a bad thing as well. A guy I know who was born and raised in Liverpool was unable to speak English until he was 5 years old when he started school. But that's bloody North Welsh immigrant families for you.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

I read stuff like this and get the urge to throw my computer at the wall in sheer frustration.

I live in the same city as you. Have done all my life, and yet I feel we must actually inhabit parrallel universes, so different are our perceptions not only of Bradford, but of life in general.

I'm locking this thread, because right now, I'm really busy working on deadline on the next issue of RLW, and haven't got the time or patience to decide what else to do with it.

Archived