End of season

wonky

As the end of season looms what has been everyone's highlight of the season and everyone's player of the season.

Player of the season, although he's only been here a few months I just can't look past sammut, we were doomed when he came in, not only did he lift the fans spirits, you could see him lifting all the lads around him. From his last few months since he came back in I think Brett Carter has been outstanding, long may it continue. Over the full season I think there's only been stack who has been consistently good, he shone even in them awful hammerings we were getting at home. But got to go with mr sammut.

Highlight of the year: although putting 60 on them at home and coming from 18-0 down in Blackpool were right up there, I actually thought a turning point in our season was going to haven and turning them over.

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

Obviously Sammut's signing was the turning point, and it's been great to finally see what we knew would happen with a good halfback in place. It's also been a relief to not have to watch that "move" along the line resulting in Murphy running down a dead end again and again !

Player of the year is easy for me ....Shacks.

Highlight of the season has to be any of the wins over Haven but the win at Blackpool for me showed the fighting qualities we needed to survive in this league.

Sammut would get everyone's vote for the player of the last part of the year but my choice for Player of the Year would go to Tom Walker. This lad is only 20 years old and plays in probably the hardest position of all against some big strong men and apart from the first game he never missed a game all season.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

Or see the forber to Phillips or Stacky smash play , with men outside never getting a look in ...player of the season Sammut , simply as we weren't going anywhere and it's not an overstatement to say he saved our season . We had 9 and we would have to get to 18 . Also because he brought us points - we struggled to get 16 , averaging 14 ... Then we are knocking out regular 30s and some 60s . This is unheard of ! And he brought professionalism . I've heard that he demands high standards of everyone and wants them on his wavelength . No shortcuts . And he's made us good to watch and allowed us to watch a master at work . Turning point on the pitch - haven away . They would have been over the horizon if they'd won . I'd also mention Lewis 's hat trick at Donny - electrifying , the bash comeback , the wingers late season form ... I'm sure more to remember in time . Shacks consistency , Stacky maintaining his standards , Walker one to watch progress and Phil for holding it all together and never doubting . Onward and UPWARD

Highlight - signing of sammut

Player of the season - for me would be Callum Phillips stepped up after Marty got injured and has really made the hooking role his own

Optimistic about next year the club seems well ran and is going in the right direction just needs a few tweaks regarding marketing (which was improved for the 8's) and match day experience ( I.e kids for a quid with no activities)

Highlight for me was the total demolition of haven at the rec. A game where most people thought they would finally get the beating of us. Only for town to thump then on their own patch.

Player of the year for me is shacks. They guy has been a rock all year and quietly went abkut his business. Sammut has beens outstanding, but purely because shacks has been here and done it all season. My vote goes to him.

Optimistic about next year if we can add 2 or 3 quality players to the squad.

player of the year sammut , but i agree with how well shacks , stack ,  tom and callum have played......highlight for me was our last minute try and carls touchline conversion at dewsbury , i think that point gave the players belief that they could kick on from there and stay up .

Highlight--- Hepi wanting to fight everyone in the Scratching Shed !!!! or the look on the Muppets faces at fulltime at Blackers on TV

Player of the Year----Mr Sammut, quite simply a masterstroke by the BOD to get him here.

Young Player ----- Tom Walker/ Steve Scholey  ( cant separate them )

Clubman of the Year--- Elliott Miller ( just joking :tongue: )  ---- Jason Mossop

Most improved ----- Marc Shackley

Yeh Tom Walker undoubted rookie of the year . In that position in this league , up against hard , seasoned props week in week out he has hardly missed a beat . Clubman for me has to be Stacky , just inspirational . Good opinions here though and all valid .... Big down of the year - demise of the scoreboard !! First wish for next season , please get the scoreboard working , it's invaluable!!!

My highlight of the year.... Sammuts acrobatics after scoring that try against the Mighty Haven.

"i hate workington town fans with a passion they are the biggest cry babies in rl and boy do they get jealous easy"- Choccy 2012

"if it wernt for me they would have nowt at all to talk about" - Choccy 2012

Some good points of view so far. The seasons been as hard as I've expected and although I thought we'd be more competitive at the beginning I think we've finished in the position we deserve. Decent at home, generally poor away.

Player wise Stack always performs week in week out, Callum has improved a lot too. As has Carl forber. Alex never stands out but you can tell when he's not playing because he's a tackling machine(if anyone else can remember damage McMullen you'd know what I mean!)

But nevertheless the huge turning point in our season has been the mercurial mr Sammut. The player everyone knew we were missing. A vast skills set and a player who gives our team direction/ purpose.

He's brought out an improvement in all those who play alongside him, especially in the backs.

However for player of the year I'd go for Shacks. Plays consistently well week in week out, and makes good yards against often bigger packs. He's been here for a good few years now after haven discarded him, and I reckon he could be captain material in Stacks absence.

there is a strong rumour that 5 of your team have a pre booked holiday and can't play this weekend ? is this correct ?

yep. Skeleton side on Sunday I'm afraid, especially in the backs,both of our wingers and a centre are away, our hooker and a 2nd row as well.

Murphy, forester, whiteley,stack,akehurst,forber,sammut,coward,Doran,walker,szostak,olstrum,mcavoy. Scholey,lucock,davidm,keith t. That's about everyone I can think of.

Archived