Dare to be Wise - A Fan Website

Dave Naylor

I was hoping to get my new fan website up and running for this weekend but a busier than usual schedule this week has slowed me down.  It's almost ready and I could have cut a few corners to put it on-line tonight but I don't want to launch it half-cocked and unoptimised.  There's also a possibility that it may morph into something else anyway but I'll say more should that situation materialise, he says cryptically.   In any event I'm going to push it live next Friday in the build up to the Leigh game no matter where I'm up to.

Once launched I'd love people to get involved if they want to (I won't get upset if no-one does!).  A site is only as good as its content and contributions from other fans will be most welcome.

I'm thinking of:

• Match reports - nothing too heavy, we can have more than one.  
  • Photos - Off your phone, from your camera, from Instagram, anything really both on match day and the week leading up to it.  If you put photos on photo hosting sites such as Flickr, I'll be able to pull them in from there.
  • Social media links - let me know your Twitter, Instagram or whatever else social media details and I'Il  aggregate them all into a Roughyed Social Wall or similar
  • Live Blog assistant editors.  I'll be live blogging where I can from the games and the software enables me to authorise different people to have write access.  So you don't even need to be at the game. For instance you could be monitoring all the other games going on that affect Oldham from the comfort of home and you could chip in as and when. You know, the kind of thing the BBC does where several people are involved in the live sport page.
  • Audio updates.  I'm hoping to build on the test thing I did at Spotland and do a preview, half-time review and full time report.  Only short 5 minute things but I'd like to get comments from others at the game.  "So <random person>, what's your take on the game so far?" etc etc.
  • The site will have a news section for factual stuff like team selection or relevant club announcements but I'm going to do a more personal blog for each game.  Just the story of what happened on the day.  If anyone else wants to submit one, that's cool.
  • Roughyed of the Week - A Twitter thing where we have one account that's passed from me to one person, then back to me and then on to the next person.  So you get to tweet from the dedicated account from say Monday to the following Monday and we all get to enjoy your feelings and thoughts in the build up to the next game.  It's something that's done a lot for locations like towns and cities where people describe their lives in that particular place and you get a new viewpoint every Monday.  it's fun!
  • And more and more...

If anyone did want to submit anything, I'll build a place on the site where you can either write some content there or submit it via an upload facility.  

As David Beckham would say, at the end of the day I initially started to put the site together as a blog for me to blab on about The Roughyeds.  If people just want to leave me to it that's not a problem.  By the end of the season the thing may blossom into to something very different to what it was at the beginning.   

On match days I think I'll mostly be looking like this guy:

Bill%20OneManBand.jpg   

Edit: Typos

For the audio, get a Rode smartlav+.  Much better than just the mike in the phone.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Depends on the phone, but there are great little shotgun and X/Y stereo mics designed for the phone.  Plus some great little lenses.  Again it depends on the phone. 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

• 2 weeks later...

I turned the thing on just now.  There are bits to do, most notably player profiles (hoping to get red/white hoop shots this weekend) and commenting.  Work in progress includes all the players from rival clubs and image galleries.

Hey though, a website is never fun unless it's not finished, broken or needs stuff doing to it.

There's also a lot of messy code and standards stuff needs smoothing out.  For any smart alecs - I KNOW! :)

https://daretobewise.uk- It's a fan website/blog, that's it. It's not pretending to be anything more.

It said: Privacy Error, Your connection is not private. Attackers might be trying to steal from daretobewise.uk

For example: Passwords messages credit cards.

The site uses one of the new Let's Encrypt SSL certificates.  It's 100% a SSL (secure) site you see.  It's possible that your Chrome might need upgrading and may be unaware of the existence of Let's Encrypt.  

its bloody well awesome dave!!

shared on fb, for the first of many times i hope

Thanks.  It's still early days and there's a lot of stuff to add and stuff to tidy up in the background.  I'd have taken another few weeks before release to be honest but since I'm my own client I'll carry on working on it in the background.  A bit like staying in a hotel on the med in April where you're trying to get to sleep and there's a bloke drilling a hole to fit a new light next door. 

Just had a butchers at the unofficial that should be official website. It makes the current official one look like a dinosaur. It is fantastic, the club could really do with someone of your talent. The present one is a joke(fans from other clubs have mentioned it to me).

Archived