Park Run

I was a marshal at the St Helens park run for the first few years of its existence but gave up as it became too much with all the other things I was doing.  When I stopped being marshal just over 200 were running every week.  I was told this morning, when I was turning into a drowned (and freezing) rat as marshal at the St Helens 10K, that there are now 400 running every Saturday morning.  That's a great growth rate for a town like St Helens, not known for its energetic activities!  There is also a junior parkrun here now too, on a Sunday morning.

• Like 4

I organised a pacing event at Rother Valley yesterday - we had runners at 20, 23,24,25,27,28,30,31,32,34 and 36 minutes. It helped us to an attendance of 376, not bad in those weather conditions. We recently broke 400 for the first time. When I started there in 2013 we averaged about 50.

I was running 32 minute pace as a loosener for today's Half Marathon at Retford, where I ran 1h 58m. It was my first run over 10 miles in nearly 2 years so I was very happy with the time. I'm feeling a bit tired now.

• Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Hastings Half Marathon this Sunday. I hope the weather is better than last year for them. We were in tail end of "The beast from the east" last year. It was freezing.

Is this your cunning plan to make Browny run up Queensway by himself?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• 2 weeks later...

Had to miss parkrun today due to the calf strain. Itching to run again but I must wait this time.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 1:19 PM, Bleep1673 said:

Hastings Half Marathon Sunday 24th March. I hope the weather is better than last year for them. We were in tail end of "The beast from the east" last year. It was freezing.

Weather is much better, light breeze going west to east against the runners in the final 2 miles, but sunny, and not too warm. Should be a good day for the runners (Not me).

Hastings Half Marathon

33579397988_fce4439a93_k.jpgDSC06622 by David  Hesketh, on Flickr

Outside my Flat

46732587514_7a63473418_k.jpg1st 2019 by David  Hesketh, on Flickr

1st Man

47455621481_460fa52bf3_k.jpg2nd 2019 by David  Hesketh, on Flickr

2nd Man

33579389968_23206af358_k.jpg3rd 2019 by David  Hesketh, on Flickr

3rd Man

……..…………………………………………………………….

46732584304_47196a1dc0_k.jpg1st Woman 2019 by David  Hesketh, on Flickr

1st & 2nd Woman

40489679193_de7c00212a_k.jpg2nd Woman 2019 by David  Hesketh, on Flickr

2nd Woman

40489675843_e2d2844e4d_k.jpg3rd Woman 2019 by David  Hesketh, on Flickr

3rd Woman

• Like 3

Results provisional, as they went past the 12 mile mark, the Mens result was probably as I photographed them, 2nd was about a minute behind first, and 3rd was a long way behind that, and ahead of 4th, Womens TBC

Edited by Bleep1673

7 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Should be a good day for the runners (Not me).

Sadly, I think for some it wasn't. It was a lot warmer than people were expecting.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

19 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Sadly, I think for some it wasn't. It was a lot warmer than people were expecting.

Indeed, sad to see the Air Ambulance.

I was a little bit behind those in Bleep's photos, but I certainly found it more pleasant than last year's outing.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

Well, if people will have heart attacks.

Thank god, I'd shed my yellow jacket before the folk who'd gone past closed water stations (yes, really) only to get to the end to find that they'd run out of medals (yes, really) had chance to demand I point them to the toilets.

• Confused 1

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 11:09 AM, Just Browny said:

I was a little bit behind those in Bleep's photos, but I certainly found it more pleasant than last year's outing.

for those unaware, last years 1/2 Marathon was run during, what was called the Beast from the East

• 3 weeks later...

I completed my 75th parkrun last weekend.  Taken 4 years.  My goal is 100 by end of this year.  In Okehampton this Saturday and nearest runs appear tough country circuits.  I generally run  a fully surfaced non muddy circuit! 

• Like 3

There's a new parkrun relatively local to me in Penistone, the town plagued by bad sweary filter editing, along with Scunthorpe.

• Like 1

Not so much a changing of the guard as ... I don't know ... wheezing of the old man.

Whilst I actually enjoyed a run for the first time since The Pain and came in at a very respectable 27:05 (slower by far than 'my best' but a steady 5.30 per k (ish) all the way round), Tiny Ginger was bombing ahead to complete in 22:56. Which is frankly obscene.

Nice day on the seafront. Hastings' fourth birthday so we had some local drummers and a record 474 people.

[whimsy]I used to catch the 474 from Bury town centre to my grandparents[/whimsy]

• Like 3

Rother Valley had a new record for the second week running, 440 beating last week's 426.

I remember 6 years ago when the event first started and we had around 50. I also remember us being concerrned when they asked us to pay for parking (just £1 instead of the usual £5) that this would affect numbers! I'm really pleased that parkrun is helping the park, not only with more than 100 cars every week but also the cafe has long queues at a time when there would be hardly anyone there, especially in winter.

I ran pain-free in an OK 26.20 for the first time in 5 weeks, which is good news and I will be back training properly this week.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Rother Valley had a new record for the second week running, 440 beating last week's 426.

I remember 6 years ago when the event first started and we had around 50. I also remember us being concerrned when they asked us to pay for parking (just £1 instead of the usual £5) that this would affect numbers! I'm really pleased that parkrun is helping the park, not only with more than 100 cars every week but also the cafe has long queues at a time when there would be hardly anyone there, especially in winter.

I ran pain-free in an OK 26.20 for the first time in 5 weeks, which is good news and I will be back training properly this week.

There’s a very good chance that Hastings park run is getting too big for its current route. The national cycle route and main prom in St Leonards are effectively blocked for an hour or so  every Saturday despite the best efforts of marshals and runners.