Sky Subscription Increase

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stopped kids programmes on sky and a few other channels went at the same time ,it saves a few pounds a month.

We have also stopped papers morning and night another 40 quid a month,you can see main news programmes on pc.

Next to go is lottery another waste of money,talk about taking the mick.

We are going to buy £100 premium bonds for the grand children every month,its a safe bet.

• 2 weeks later...

Received my letter yesterday telling me my monthly subscription was being increased by a fiver upping it to £68 per month. Immediately rang them to cancel and after a five minutes chat was offered a 12 month deal at £29 per month. In retrospect I should have done it years ago.

Received my letter yesterday telling me my monthly subscription was being increased by a fiver upping it to £68 per month. Immediately rang them to cancel and after a five minutes chat was offered a 12 month deal at £29 per month. In retrospect I should have done it years ago.

As with all these things, you have to give them the chance to offer you a deal. That means threatening to cancel when your current contract is up for renewal.

If you just keep renewing automatically, you pay full whack.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Do I need to say I am thinking of cancelling or do I ask for an offer? Can I do it by online chat?

I watch the rugby league, and football but I really miss the Champions league.

I think, to to maximise your chances, you should actually talk to a proper human being. Don't mention the CL, because that's one of the biggest money-sponges contributing to your increased monthly charges. They just bought the rights away from terrestrial TV, so that will have cost them.

I'd guess that online chat would be less persuasive. If there are any other minority sports on Sky that you enjoy, mention them too.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Do I need to say I am thinking of cancelling or do I ask for an offer? Can I do it by online chat?

I watch the rugby league, and football but I really miss the Champions league.

I quoted the offers that I was getting from Virgin.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

People getting better deals on your subscriptions beware. You'll only get so many before they say "No deal" and you are back to paying full price again.

I've had Sky for fifteen years and this was the first time I'd rang and threatened to cancel. Mine wasn't an idle threat, I was more than prepared to cancel if a better deal wasn't offered. To be offered a twelve month deal at £29 per month against their original £68 was more than acceptable, I would have settled for much less. The telephone conversation was very amicable, no shouting threats or telling them how they should run their business just a firm insistence that I couldn't afford the price increase and could I please cancel my subscription. I shall do the same next year and if they refuse to play ball I will happily cancel. There are alternatives.

I've had Sky for fifteen years and this was the first time I'd rang and threatened to cancel. Mine wasn't an idle threat, I was more than prepared to cancel if a better deal wasn't offered. To be offered a twelve month deal at £29 per month against their original £68 was more than acceptable, I would have settled for much less. The telephone conversation was very amicable, no shouting threats or telling them how they should run their business just a firm insistence that I couldn't afford the price increase and could I please cancel my subscription. I shall do the same next year and if they refuse to play ball I will happily cancel. There are alternatives.

Me too. Perhaps I'm lucky but Virgin is an option for me.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

We live right at the end of a private cul-de-sac with the public road ending 30m from our property.  Virgin supply our two immediate neighbours but not us, their answer was that our house is too far from the public road to serve.  The idea the developers of our street had was that all cabled services come in to a central duct then there's ducts to each house where they can feed cable easily and without digging up property/road further.  So, that central duct is fine for supplying our customers but not us because their map shows our house too far from public roads.  "The computer says no".

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Indeed there are.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

• 3 weeks later...

Now it's BT.  I have telephone and broadband through BT.  My landline costs are going up £1 per month, that's an increase of 5.6%.  My broadband costs are going up by £2.94, that's an increase of 10%.  To get BT Sport in HD, my costs are going up by £1 per month, an increase of 25%.

The number 1 thing that they use to promote the extras I'm getting?  Football.  Here's the paragraph that's supposed to make me suck up those price increases:

We'll keep giving you access to the biggest football competitions like Barclays Premier League, UEFA Champions League and Emirates FA Cup. And from next season you'll get more live Premier League games than ever from BT Sport including our new Saturday 5.30pm kick off and mid-week games.

FFS... do they really think I'm going to suck up the price increase just so they can go toe-to-toe with Sky over a sport I won't watch?

They can join Sky in taking it and shoving it somewhere painful.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Just as I posted that I got another email offering me a "special deal" where I could lock in the extra BT Sport football tripe for £5p/m before the price rise.  Sod off.

Virgin isn't an option for me I was thinking more along the lines of the Amazon firestick/kodi box.

We have a fire stick, and installing Kodi was fairly easy (did it yesterday).  Make sure you also use addoninstaller to make it easy to install the addons.  We have Exodus, Phoenix and UK Turks installed and it has all we need.  Cancelled Netflix and Amazon this morning.

Now it's BT.  I have telephone and broadband through BT.  My landline costs are going up £1 per month, that's an increase of 5.6%.  My broadband costs are going up by £2.94, that's an increase of 10%.  To get BT Sport in HD, my costs are going up by £1 per month, an increase of 25%.

The number 1 thing that they use to promote the extras I'm getting?  Football.  Here's the paragraph that's supposed to make me suck up those price increases:

FFS... do they really think I'm going to suck up the price increase just so they can go toe-to-toe with Sky over a sport I won't watch?

There is of course Premiership Rugby on BT Sport  ;)

BT ###### me off last year in exactly that way, so I switched and got a good deal from EE. Then what happened? Bloody BT bought EE!!!

Archived