• Police Commissioner elections
    • Welsh Assembly elections
    • Scottish Parliament elections
    • Northern Ireland Assembly elecetions
    • London Mayor election
    • Other election(s) happening on 5th May
    • Can't vote in any election on 5th May
    • Won't use my vote in any election(s) on 5th May
    • I had no idea there were any elections on 5th May till you just mentioned it.
  2. 2. What will influence your vote?

• National issues.
    • Local issues.
    • Party allegiance.
    • Affinity for a particular candidate.
    • Whichever side of the bed you get out of on polling day.
    • Other reason.
    • Nothing. A plague on all their houses.

Agreed, John. You only have to look at Manchester where Labour received 58% of the vote last year, but won 100% of the council, even though their vote share dropped. Likewise with Cornwall in the General Election last year, where the Tories won all six seats on just 43%.

here in Rotherham...where after the CSE scandal you might expect a greater share of opposition seats on the council, actually saw an increase in the lab majority.....

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Poor attempt at drinking a pint...

ChNw1D-WIAMzVEg.jpg

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Poor attempt at drinking a pint...

ChNw1D-WIAMzVEg.jpg

Though Boris seems to know what he's doing; a little too familiar if you ask me.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/apr/30/battle-london-mayor-dirtiest-fight-zac-goldsmith-sadiq-khan?CMP=share_btn_tw

The contest between Zac Goldsmith and Sadiq Khan has been marred by accusations of racism. Has this become the dirtiest fight in British political history?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/apr/30/battle-london-mayor-dirtiest-fight-zac-goldsmith-sadiq-khan?CMP=share_btn_tw

The contest between Zac Goldsmith and Sadiq Khan has been marred by accusations of racism. Has this become the dirtiest fight in British political history?

That letter from Cameron has Linton Crosby's name all over it. Shocking use of divde and rule tactics to play British Indians and British Pakistanis off against each other.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

A picture paints a thousand words, the accompanying photos say it all.

I know I shouldn't have with it being the Mail and all that, but I ventured into the comments. Oh dear, oh dear. These are the top three rated:

"I predict certain parts of london will be voting for the eye sis sympathiser, but hopefully the British parts of London will do the right thing..."

"There can be no greater insult to the victims of 7/7 than a mayor from a certain religion"

"What nobody has mentioned or dared to mention. I wouldn't vote for him simply because he is called Khan. We all know where his loyalties lay and it's not with the British anglo saxon minority is it."

4 options in our local election on Thursday, I envy those of you voting with the conviction of your beliefs and/or for positive reasons.

I will be voting, but so far my thoughts have been:

UKIP - Not in this life time.

Tories - Looking back on there time in office since the last election, not for me.

Labour - Not for me locally or nationally at this moment in time.

Lib Dems - ###### I've run out of options, it might have to be you!

4 options in our local election on Thursday, I envy those of you voting with the conviction of your beliefs and/or for positive reasons.

Tories - Looking back on there time in office since the last election, not for me.

The utterly unspeakable/unelectable/indescribable nature of the competition could do the LibDems a favour, but it's a long way back from last year's disaster.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The utterly unspeakable/unelectable/indescribable nature of the competition could do the LibDems a favour, but it's a long way back from last year's disaster.

Indeed!

Was hoping for a decent independent, but then thats not always a safe choice in these parts based on what I read in the press and on twitter!

These are local elections.  Why are you turning them into general elections?

Indeed!

Was hoping for a decent independent, but then thats not always a safe choice in these parts based on what I read in the press and on twitter!

Aren't the Natural Law Party standing in your area? 

Indeed!

35 years involvement in local politics has taught me that for Independent read Tory who thinks they can't win as a Tory and Independent Labour for former councillor who has just been deselected for really being a Tory.

These are local elections.  Why are you turning them into general elections?

Well, obviously you won't be bringing in any ingrained party political loyalties to these elections, but... :rolleyes: 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Aren't the Natural Law Party standing in your area? 

They have trouble standing for elections, because maintaining contact with the ground is a big problem for them.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm very fortunate that our local Labour group, while not perfect, are pretty good so easy to cast my vote.

Incidentally, our Labour candidate in the local election has been the only one to bother putting out campaign material. We've had four or five now but nothing from the opposition.

Well, obviously you won't be bringing in any ingrained party political loyalties to these elections, but... :rolleyes:

She makes a valid point , how many people vote for the party rather than the candidate in local elections ? More than would care to admit I would wager. I'd like to think people would have a look at each candidate and vote based on that but I'm guessing its a very small number of people that do that. Personally I would remove any reference to a party from the ballot paper , hopefully then a few more people would research each candidate and lead to the maybe a more reasoned result and a better relationship between the public and politicians.

Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

If I were basing it purely on engagement with local issues it would be Labour followed by Lib Dem. The Tories are a close second in the ward so been a bit surprised to have had no contact from them at all.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

One of my local councillors live a few doors down, so she gets my vote mainly for being local.  

I'd prefer to vote for an independent who lives in the ward, over a party political candidate.

Archived