• Police Commissioner elections
    • Welsh Assembly elections
    • Scottish Parliament elections
    • Northern Ireland Assembly elecetions
    • London Mayor election
    • Other election(s) happening on 5th May
    • Can't vote in any election on 5th May
    • Won't use my vote in any election(s) on 5th May
    • I had no idea there were any elections on 5th May till you just mentioned it.
  2. 2. What will influence your vote?

• National issues.
    • Local issues.
    • Party allegiance.
    • Affinity for a particular candidate.
    • Whichever side of the bed you get out of on polling day.
    • Other reason.
    • Nothing. A plague on all their houses.

One of my local councillors live a few doors down, so she gets my vote mainly for being local.

I'd prefer to vote for an independent who lives in the ward, over a party political candidate.

My local councillor is in the next room.... it'd be a bit tricky not voting for him

"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

35 years involvement in local politics has taught me that for Independent read Tory who thinks they can't win as a Tory and Independent Labour for former councillor who has just been deselected for really being a Tory.

I used to live in Morley.  A part of Leeds.  Morley has its own party. Morley Borough Independents Party.  They are basically Tories but they have this thing about Morley.  Bear in mind there are no equivalents in other former boroughs that are now part of Leeds.  Just Morley.  They make up a majority of Morley's contingent to Leeds council.  They spend their time complaining that Leeds never does anything for Morley.  No one seems to be able to grasp that the reason for this is the Morley Borough Independents Party.  Both the big parties ignore them.  If they'd come out as Tories then they'd probably lose and Labour would get in, but at least if they did get in they'd have some pull.  And if Labour got in in Morley the same would apply, Labour would be frightened of losing seats in Morley.  As it is nothing gets done and the MBIP continue to complain about it.  The people of Morley don't seem to grasp this.  Sorry to rant on, I don't live there any more but it irritates me!

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Zac:"I'd run completely different campaign if they'd chosen David Lammy. Would have been about issues.I'm up against a real danger to London"

Hmmm, Lammy and Khan are both Labour, so the danger can't be from being a Labour member?  Wonder what the real danger is?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Hmmm, Lammy and Khan are both Labour, so the danger can't be from being a Labour member?  Wonder what the real danger is?

Khan's from Tooting.  It's a bit odd round there.

That must be it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I'm very fortunate that our local Labour group, while not perfect, are pretty good so easy to cast my vote.

Incidentally, our Labour candidate in the local election has been the only one to bother putting out campaign material. We've had four or five now but nothing from the opposition.

We've only had material through from Labour, I've had a root around Twitter and checked whocanivotefor.co.uk and aboutmyvote.co.uk along with the local council website for details on the other candidates, but nothing kicking about.

Drove through Standish earlier and saw the local independent lad there putting leaflets through doors along with having a large bill board ad, but take the point above, he's quite possibly a Tory who knows there's little or no chance of getting elected standing as one!

Well, obviously you won't be bringing in any ingrained party political loyalties to these elections, but... :rolleyes:

When I lived in Carlisle, I voted for the Labour council as it was superb.  You wouldn't find me voting for the St Helens Labour council if you paid me a million quid as it is garbage and has done nothing but undermine the town's hopes of progress.  I am one of the few who can, does and is able to discriminate between general elections and local elections. 

I am one of the few who can, does and is able to discriminate between general elections and local elections. 

One is for the big building in that there London and one is for the not so big building in town?

We've only had material through from Labour, I've had a root around Twitter and checked whocanivotefor.co.uk and aboutmyvote.co.uk along with the local council website for details on the other candidates, but nothing kicking about.

Drove through Standish earlier and saw the local independent lad there putting leaflets through doors along with having a large bill board ad, but take the point above, he's quite possibly a Tory who knows there's little or no chance of getting elected standing as one!

Shrek - are you in Wigan borough? Guessing from the line up Aspull-New Springs-Whelley?

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

Shrek - are you in Wigan borough? Guessing from the line up Aspull-New Springs-Whelley?

I am, not heard a peep from anyone other than the Labour candidate, I'm guessing its probably not worth the other 3 investing to much time/money, but even searching twitter and local party pages information on the other candidates is very thin on the ground.

A Number 10 spokesperson today said: "The Prime Minister stands by the comments he made about Suliman Gani in the House on 20 April."

They said Mr Gani had called for an Islamic State at an event in Bradford on 13th November 2015, the night of the Paris terror attacks.

Mr Gani did not appear at an event in Bradford on 13th November.

He did appear at an event in Bedford on 13th November. Video of the event is available on YouTube. He did not call for an Islamic State.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

She makes a valid point , how many people vote for the party rather than the candidate in local elections ? More than would care to admit I would wager. I'd like to think people would have a look at each candidate and vote based on that but I'm guessing its a very small number of people that do that. Personally I would remove any reference to a party from the ballot paper , hopefully then a few more people would research each candidate and lead to the maybe a more reasoned result and a better relationship between the public and politicians.

It's a nice thought, but in the real world, it'd just result in even less people voting, or knowing what or who they were voting for.

On the Tuesday before the elections, I have just received my first party political junk mail. This seems a little slack, especially as it isn't the most politically polarised constituency around, by a long way.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I received my first non-Labour one on the same day from local independent party, FRAGOFF. It was too late though as I'd already cast my postal vote. :(

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

It's a nice thought, but in the real world, it'd just result in even less people voting, or knowing what or who they were voting for.

Ballot papers used to only have the name on didn't they?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I am, not heard a peep from anyone other than the Labour candidate, I'm guessing its probably not worth the other 3 investing to much time/money, but even searching twitter and local party pages information on the other candidates is very thin on the ground.

Labour seem to be concentrating on Standish and Hindley wards, in both cases where the councillor up for re-election is independent. Hindley will be worth watching as it could potentially split in interesting, unpredictable, ways. UKIP seem to be quietly endorsing several local independents (hence why they're not standing in Hindley/Hindley Green), although not the Standish ones.

The general feeling that I'm getting is of dissatisfaction with Labour, but not enough to displace them in other than a small number of wards. UKIP is almost exclusively "red" UKIP, and pretty nasty at that (see their twitter feed...) and it will be interesting to see if the dissatisfied Labour supporters go UKIP or, where there is choice, Lib Dem. Many will stick with what they know, possibly on a very low turnout.

The Lib Dems are fielding the most candidates for a decade, and their membership has trebled in Wigan borough in the past eighteen months. I'll PM you about the Aspull candidate.

disques vogue

The club where Eurovision isn't a dirty word. A waltz through the leopard skin lined world of Tom Jones, Bert Kampfert and Burt Bacharach. Step out to the sound of the happy hammond and swing to the seductive sounds of the samba.

DJ's, raffles, cocktails and wide collars. Please dress smart. Gentlemen might like to wear a suit.

Same price. Same music. Same rubbish prizes.

The BBC are so biased that they had Michael Crick on the Daily Politics to talk about the story the other week and questioned Grant Shapps on it today.  The quietness of Labour, Lib Dems, etc on this is noticeable.  

A bbc report -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36203093 

The BBC are so biased that they had Michael Crick on the Daily Politics to talk about the story the other week and questioned Grant Shapps on it today. The quietness of Labour, Lib Dems, etc on this is noticeable.

A bbc report -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36203093

I've seen Lib Dems give quotes on it and comments via social media including the official feed. Have no idea what, if anything, else they're doing.

On the Tuesday before the elections, I have just received my first party political junk mail. This seems a little slack, especially as it isn't the most politically polarised constituency around, by a long way.

That's incredible. Over the past few weeks I've delivered:-

unaddressed constituency junk mail for SNP, Tories, Labour, Lib Dems;

unaddressed regional junk mail for SNP, Tories, Labour, Lib Dems, Greens and UKIP;

addressed communications, a couple each, for SNP and Tories;

polling cards for everyone on the register;

postal votes for those who need them.

And, after tomorrow, we start all over again with the EU, including the UK's communication that England received a few weeks ago.

I need a holiday!!

Ballot papers used to only have the name on didn't they?

Yes.

There's some really detailed info here on how ballot papers are designed.

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/191651/Party-identifiers-research-Report-FINAL-WEBSITE.pdf

You may well lose the will to live before getting halfway through, but there's clearly a lot of research goes into this stuff.

Archived