Leigh to spend full SL Cap

Maybe that's why Leigh are spending up to the cap?

Meant to say more but was going from Honfleur to Le Touquet today! They are spending to keep their season on track with an eye to having a strong squad when all the injuries and others (erm!) come back. This is a very neat strategy and real marathon outlook so well done Leigh!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, we wont be seeing Hock and Acton for a while. Moimoi just recovering from a pretty serious illness and Paterson has been out injured for a while now.

Hock for a double while (2 Grade D charges) and Higham could also face a lengthy ban

Hock for a double while (2 Grade D charges) and Higham could also face a lengthy ban

Someone will be on here in a minute saying it's an RFL or SL plan to prevent Champioship clubs getting promoted!

I think Leigh have managed to put together a season and possibly promotion winning squad. It does also blow the myth out of the water that the problem was at Salford for all these players, a good percentage have fallen at Leigh also for much the same reasons. And many haven't looked the same players one season on! And anyway much better to discuss this story than a rent a conspiracy theory one!

And Acton as well, that's why I said they'd be out for a while. Didn't know a while was a unit of measure. When does a while become a double while?

Someone will be on here in a minute saying it's an RFL or SL plan to prevent Champioship clubs getting promoted!

I think Leigh have managed to put together a season and possibly promotion winning squad. It does also blow the myth out of the water that the problem was at Salford for all these players, a good percentage have fallen at Leigh also for much the same reasons. And many haven't looked the same players one season on! And anyway much better to discuss this story than a rent a conspiracy theory one!

I won't be screaming conspiracy theories, but the inconsistencies in disciplinary process will continue to puzzle me.

I think our 4 signings from Salford can be marked as two very good (Hansen and Maitua) one disastrous and jury still out on Paterson. Seems we've gone in with an idea of a smaller squad and use loans to add depth when needed. Only used one or two players more than last season despite all the dramas. Hopefully we can go into the 8s with players fully fit rather than needing ops like last year

I won't be screaming conspiracy theories, but the inconsistencies in disciplinary process will continue to puzzle me.

I think our 4 signings from Salford can be marked as two very good (Hansen and Maitua) one disastrous and jury still out on Paterson.

I wasn't thinking Leigh fan when I spoke conspiracy phiggins.

The disciplinary decisions puzzle everyone because they are more about the small print than the crime or punishment.

If you're ignoring Rangi that's a reasonable assessment Maitua more than Hansen!

You are bellicose these days Parky!

Stick to the debate man.

I think you should've stopped there Scubby I've come to the conclusion he never does! 

Again stick to the debate, all you invite here is the same back, and if you won't answer the simple question which system would you have chosen? our debate stops there. 

If you read my post then I said what do the RFL want not what I want. At the moment, we could be heading towards 15/16 clubs paying the full SL salary cap within a couple of years (I am including Toulouse, Leigh, Bradford in there) 

Well I can't see Bradford doing anything other than going part time as Adeybull has predicted, and at this point in time two clubs which I think are Widnes and Wakey don't spend full SL cap so it's arguable that the current number spending full SL cap is actually 10.

Yes Leigh are just about certs to up their spend to full cap for this year maybe next but Beaumont isn't that rich a man and spoke about how he needed local business chipping in. His desperation to get P & R ASAP at any cost is for me because he isn't rich enough to sustain popping around a £Million a year in year after year - check past posts on his decking business.

If they get in SL then SKY pay the wages BUT that means someone drops out and they may not be able to find a private subsidy of £1,000,000 a year for full cap.

One of the richest owners whose club may drop out is Mr. Caddick, but he doesn't seem to do massive subsidies to Rhinos and his beloved Leeds RUFC are a second division club.

I can only see Toulouse as being certs to spend full cap, maybe even in the Les Catalans style so that is why I can't myself forecast anywhere near 15/16 paying full SL cap?

How big is the first team squad and is there any Academy underpinning the first team squad? Genuinely don't know hence the question.

I'm not sure a Championship Academy can underpin Superleague hopefulls? Such an academy is the last pick of local talent after Wigan, Saints, Wire and Salford have had theirs, three of whom may stockpile decent players for the reserves league.

with the most diluted playing strength this country has had in the last 10-20 years. I really don't have a clue what their vision is? I'm not sure they do either.

Hudgell pointed to the diluted playing strength, and sits on his own example of two academies. Padges welcome intervention highlights we can have as much money as we want but paying players as pro's doesn't make them Superleague quality, albeit it may improve them training full time.

Then there is the question of many players not prepared to go full time unless they can guarantee to be full time year on year and not give up their careers for one season in SL and relegation back to the Championship. See threads on the alleged surrender of Whitehaven players in a Championship Grand Final. See the mess at Sheffield.

I doubt the RFL are able to do "Visions" whatever they are, the state of the game is what it is and how much of that can be laid at the RFL's door is debatable. It's easy to bash them - but reading your post more carefully I'm not saying you do that.

The reality of the situation is the RFL and the SL bosses are managing decline,and the biggest steps forward were:-

1. Reduce SL to 12

2. Get SKY to provide more money

3. Cut the licensing requirements

So they have done that, fair play and it's steadied the ship, the two daft things they did was to jump at the SKY deal too quickly (see Lenegans article) and introduce this stupid system in which £Millions of the TV money is put into the Championship to try to make P & R work.

Every year it doesn't work it costs a six figure sum that is wasted, and in any event the better system Oxford fails to admit to would have cost nothing in comparison, because the Championship club would be encouraged to spend their money inside SL.

What we have now is clubs wasting professional wages on players who won't make SL professionals as Padge says and as you tacitly support with your comment on playing strength. Your in good company.

Which of the two systems would you have gone for had you had that vote back in January 2014?

And Acton as well, that's why I said they'd be out for a while. Didn't know a while was a unit of measure. When does a while become a double while?

You missed out Higham in your original post and the double comment was because Hock managed to get 2 Grade D charges

Interesting that Leigh couldn't find anyone to travel to the Disciplinary this week?

All the staff on holiday or was nobody able to drive the minibus?

Seriously it is very poor for a SL aspiring club not to be able to send anyone to the Disciplinary meeting and to have to request a postponement

Stick to the debate man.

Again stick to the debate, all you invite here is the same back, and if you won't answer the simple question which system would you have chosen? our debate stops there. 

It wouldn't matter what I said or wrote Parky.

You'll say I didn't answer!

I did answer that very question. I said asking it was silly because the one we have is the three 8's and I would like to see the RFL just for a change stick to something for more than ten minutes.

I have also made several comments applauding Leigh for an excellent overall strategy and responding to other explanations of why they spending so much!

And even though off thread, more than on, I answered all your questions.

The Thread was about Leigh so saying stick to the debate is very drole, thanks for the laff!

Interesting that Leigh couldn't find anyone to travel to the Disciplinary this week?

All the staff on holiday or was nobody able to drive the minibus?

Seriously it is very poor for a SL aspiring club not to be able to send anyone to the Disciplinary meeting and to have to request a postponement

Clubs are not under licensing requirements any more and have been freed to concentrate on finding enough money to pay the players.

That Leigh have to find another £Half a million now means that they can't afford much of a staff for such things. But it's a  handy dig.

Strongly rumoured around Saints that Leigh are about to take Travis Burns on loan for the rest of the season.

Burns wants to go after falling out with Cunningham and being frozen out of the 1st team but the only sticking point is his salary as Leigh wants Saints to continue paying a portion of it

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Clubs are not under licensing requirements any more and have been freed to concentrate on finding enough money to pay the players.

That Leigh have to find another £Half a million now means that they can't afford much of a staff for such things. But it's a  handy dig.

Try the coach, his assistant, the Chief Exec or even Degsy who likes to get involved. Plenty of people

You missed out Higham in your original post and the double comment was because Hock managed to get 2 Grade D charges

So did Acton. I missed higham in my original post because i was talking about the need to sign a prop on loan

Seems we've gone in with an idea of a smaller squad and use loans to add depth when needed. Only used one or two players more than last season despite all the dramas.

A bit of flawed forward planning by Leigh it would seem.Signing injury prone players and with a disgraceful disciplinary record a larger squad was needed.It does seem you started off the campaign with a larger squad than last year and then you took back a player you had loaned from Dewsbury.

After the brouhaha following the signing from Warrington,of Higham,I am surprised Warrington were prepared to loan Evans to you.

I did find this - 6.4 Payments/(receipts) for players on loan 6.4.1 Loanee Club - Cost should include any payments for the use of the player’s services to the loaning Club. Any match payments payable to the player should be included within “Player match payments” above;   Under the Salary cap regulations.

Also -  LOAN OF PLAYERS A3:5 If a player is loaned out or dual registered to another club, responsibility for payment of their salary and any appearance money they are entitled to shall remain with the Club they are contracted to. Recovery of any costs should be made by invoicing the agreed values monthly to the recipient Club. The recipient Club should ensure that these invoices are paid in a timely manner.

I'm sure the RFL are monitoring everything at Leigh in their usual professional manner and their policing of the salary cap will be as good as it has been in the past.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

A bit of flawed forward planning by Leigh it would seem.Signing injury prone players and with a disgraceful disciplinary record a larger squad was needed.It does seem you started off the campaign with a larger squad than last year and then you took back a player you had loaned from Dewsbury.

After the brouhaha following the signing from Warrington,of Higham,I am surprised Warrington were prepared to loan Evans to you.

I did find this - 6.4 Payments/(receipts) for players on loan 6.4.1 Loanee Club - Cost should include any payments for the use of the player’s services to the loaning Club. Any match payments payable to the player should be included within “Player match payments” above;   Under the Salary cap regulations.

Also -  LOAN OF PLAYERS A3:5 If a player is loaned out or dual registered to another club, responsibility for payment of their salary and any appearance money they are entitled to shall remain with the Club they are contracted to. Recovery of any costs should be made by invoicing the agreed values monthly to the recipient Club. The recipient Club should ensure that these invoices are paid in a timely manner.

I'm sure the RFL are monitoring everything at Leigh in their usual professional manner and their policing of the salary cap will be as good as it has been in the past.

Lemons, lemons come n get your lemons, only slightly rotten but very bitter

Can't wait to see your plans up in smoke when you are £250k lighter next year, and still no fans

Moran and Derek get on well, he also knows how a SL game v Leigh would draw a huge gate and create a derby to sell.

We've just announced travis burns has signed also

Well I can't see Bradford doing anything other than going part time as Adeybull has predicted, and at this point in time two clubs which I think are Widnes and Wakey don't spend full SL cap so it's arguable that the current number spending full SL cap is actually 10.

Yes Leigh are just about certs to up their spend to full cap for this year maybe next but Beaumont isn't that rich a man and spoke about how he needed local business chipping in. His desperation to get P & R ASAP at any cost is for me because he isn't rich enough to sustain popping around a £Million a year in year after year - check past posts on his decking business.

If they get in SL then SKY pay the wages BUT that means someone drops out and they may not be able to find a private subsidy of £1,000,000 a year for full cap.

One of the richest owners whose club may drop out is Mr. Caddick, but he doesn't seem to do massive subsidies to Rhinos and his beloved Leeds RUFC are a second division club.

I can only see Toulouse as being certs to spend full cap, maybe even in the Les Catalans style so that is why I can't myself forecast anywhere near 15/16 paying full SL cap?

Derek has cash, a lot of wealthy men just have assets. He made the call for support as he felt it was needed to let people know they were wanted, sponsorship sold out signs went up after game 1 so it definitely worked. Derek has already guaranteed full cap spend 2017 in whatever division, he is in a great position of assets, cash, great profits and a family who share his love of LRLFC. He has dreams he wants to make reality, and has no need for the yacht in Cannes or villa in Marbella. We are fortunate to have him, and are enjoying the ride

Strongly rumoured around Saints that Leigh are about to take Travis Burns on loan for the rest of the season.

Burns wants to go after falling out with Cunningham and being frozen out of the 1st team but the only sticking point is his salary as Leigh wants Saints to continue paying a portion of it

Confirmed:

http://www.saintsrlfc.com/news/page/6005

Yipee - Celebration time

Burns was just continuing our recent tradition of bringing in overpaid, useless overseas players who never perform. He joins the distinguished list with the likes of Perry & Hohia

Now if we can only find someone else daft enough to take Tasi, McDonnell & Peyroux off our hands ;)  (we'd even be willing to throw in a Turner, an Owens and a Wilkin for free as a bit of encouragement)

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Yipee - Celebration time

Burns was just continuing our recent tradition of bringing in overpaid, useless overseas players who never perform. He joins the distinguished list with the likes of Perry & Hohia

Now if we can only find someone else daft enough to take Tasi, McDonnell & Peyroux off our hands ;)  (we'd even be willing to throw in a Turner, an Owens and a Wilkin for free as a bit of encouragement)

You could add a few more to that list too... but that "world-class scrum half" Wilkin is top of my list! Do you think if we say it enough on here, Sweaty will bend Beaumont's ear and take him off our hands? 

So all SL clubs turned Burns down (he was being offered around the clubs back at Easter time) but don't worry Leigh will sign just about anyone and everyone

Ben Reynolds – Aussie

Willie Tonga – Aussie

FuiFui MoiMoi – NZ

Dayne Weston – Aussie

Cory Paterson – Aussie

Reni Maitua – Aussie

Ben Reynolds – Aussie

Josh Drinkwater – Aussie

Travis Burns – Aussie

(Rangi Chase – Aussie)

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

"Our club is the nucleus of the town and we've got a lot of home grown players and that produces a lot of pride and passion.''

Seems a long time ago when the family club spinned about their Leigh connections.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/rugby-league/425540/Coach-Paul-Rowley-hails-Super-League-for-bringing-Leigh-life

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Archived