Josh Drinkwater – Aussie

Travis Burns – Aussie

(Rangi Chase – Aussie)

Ben Reynolds is on list twice and he is from Yorkshire

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ben Reynolds is on list twice and he is from Yorkshire

A Ben Reynolds is listed as being born in Lithgow NSW and playing for Penrith & Wests then coming over here to Cas?

I don't think you need to defend your club.

The last club to come into SL from the championship was Widnes and their squad is based on about 8 or so overseas players.

It's just how it is, clubs have to get together the best team they can to win matches, attract the fans and stay in SL.

Ben Reynolds – Aussie

Willie Tonga – Aussie

FuiFui MoiMoi – NZ

Dayne Weston – Aussie

Cory Paterson – Aussie

Reni Maitua – Aussie

Ben Reynolds – Aussie

Josh Drinkwater – Aussie

Travis Burns – Aussie

(Rangi Chase – Aussie)

And your point is?

I can only imagine that you applaud what Beaumont is trying to acheive as it seems to me he is trying to emulate the Bulls strategy of 2006 when their squad included :-

Withers - Aussie

Bai - PNG

Vainikolo - Tonga

Harris - Aussie

Happy - Kiwi

Vagana - Kiwi

Meyer. - Aussie

McKenna. - Aussie

Gene. - PNG

Watene - Cook Islands

Henderson - OK born Torquay, but most definitely an antipodean import.

Personally, I am a Leigh fan who feels that due to the number of Johnny Foreigners in the squad I am losing identity with the club I have supported since 1959.

And, your thoughts when your team employed all those above?

PS Ben Reynolds born Sheffield, S. Yorkshire.

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

Personally, I am a Leigh fan who feels that due to the number of Johnny Foreigners in the squad I am losing identity with the club I have supported since 1959.

It's sadly a stark choice between a team of local lads who probably won't get into SL but you'll feel more comfortable and at home with or an SL team. Hobson's Choice really!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I think RL fans get a bit too obsessed with having local players in their team.

Yes and a lot of those follow Premiership Football, so there's a good model to base the need for local lads on!

Withers - Aussie

Bai - PNG

Vainikolo - Tonga

Harris - Aussie

Happy - Kiwi

Vagana - Kiwi

Meyer. - Aussie

McKenna. - Aussie

Gene. - PNG

Watene - Cook Islands

Henderson - OK born Torquay, but most definitely an antipodean import

And there's never a bloody half back in that list when you need one!

And your point is?

I can only imagine that you applaud what Beaumont is trying to acheive as it seems to me he is trying to emulate the Bulls strategy of 2006 when their squad included :-

Withers - Aussie

Bai - PNG

Vainikolo - Tonga

Harris - Aussie

Happy - Kiwi

Vagana - Kiwi

Meyer. - Aussie

McKenna. - Aussie

Gene. - PNG

Watene - Cook Islands

Henderson - OK born Torquay, but most definitely an antipodean import.

And, your thoughts when your team employed all those above?

PS Ben Reynolds born Sheffield, S. Yorkshire.

I have no issue with what Leigh are doing to get promoted. They need to do what is best for them. What I do have an issue with is that 'we' clearly predicted that this would happen with this system. And this is a bad thing. I suspect we will be signing more overseas players in the not too distant as well. Then there's everyone else.

The Bulls 2006 squad list doesn't look quite right, but I'll take your word for it. However, those overseas players were more than offset by the number of top class academy players being produced both then and now. Not everyone can say that.

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

A Ben Reynolds is listed as being born in Lithgow NSW and playing for Penrith & Wests then coming over here to Cas?

I don't think you need to defend your club.

The last club to come into SL from the championship was Widnes and their squad is based on about 8 or so overseas players.

It's just how it is, clubs have to get together the best team they can to win matches, attract the fans and stay in SL.

Guessing you're referring to the Wiki entry for Ben Reynolds? Seems that someone is trying to merge the careers of two players called Ben Reynolds. He'll have done well to play for two NRL clubs, then move to Cas u19s.

Yipee - Celebration time

Burns was just continuing our recent tradition of bringing in overpaid, useless overseas players who never perform. He joins the distinguished list with the likes of Perry & Hohia

Now if we can only find someone else daft enough to take Tasi, McDonnell & Peyroux off our hands ;)  (we'd even be willing to throw in a Turner, an Owens and a Wilkin for free as a bit of encouragement)

I`d be more concerned at offloading Cunningham. ;)

We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

Guessing you're referring to the Wiki entry for Ben Reynolds? Seems that someone is trying to merge the careers of two players called Ben Reynolds. He'll have done well to play for two NRL clubs, then move to Cas u19s.

Yessir, thanks for the correction

I have no issue with what Leigh are doing to get promoted. They need to do what is best for them. What I do have an issue with is that 'we' clearly predicted that this would happen with this system. And this is a bad thing. I suspect we will be signing more overseas players in the not too distant as well. 

How do you link the numbers of overseas signings just with "this system"?

Doesn't the fact that the British game is limited in playing numbers which therefore limits the number of British elite players mean that the clubs naturally look to better quality players available from the surplus of quality players the much stronger NRL game throws up?

Years ago Rimmer specifically told us that licensing would enable clubs to play their young English lads without fear that if this caused bad match results, the clubs were protected from relegation.

However no club was protected from the drop in attendances from bad match results. Whatever system is in place isn't it the case a club must field the strongest sides they can simply on a commercial basis?? 

Doesn't the fact that the British game is limited in playing numbers which therefore limits the number of British elite players mean that the clubs naturally look to better quality players available from the surplus of quality players the much stronger NRL game throws up?

Years ago Rimmer specifically told us that licensing would enable clubs to play their young English lads without fear that if this caused bad match results, the clubs were protected from relegation.

However no club was protected from the drop in attendances from bad match results. Whatever system is in place isn't it the case a club must field the strongest sides they can simply on a commercial basis?? 

As always good points Parky!

The drop in attendances from being bottom or getting beaten regularly is one of those things that doesn't get enough airings in discussion. How can a team fight on a commercial front against poor on the paddock results?

One of the reasons you come in for stick Parky is because you are a serial offender in misinterpretation.  In no post have I said that these issues occur JUST with this system.

Of course in an ideal world clubs would run RFL/SL Federation players with a dusting of NRL glamour.  Some clubs do this and some don't.  Some have little or no interest in their local production line but simply rely on others, or the NRL, to provide for them.  All systems will lend themselves towards this to a greater or lesser extent, and in my opinion the current system encourages the short term overseas options more.  How can Leigh get promoted with Championship players and a weak academy?  It can't.  So the only way to short cut is to get in NRL players.  That's what they've done, and so long as they are keeping within the cap rules then fair play.  If they want to be the next HKR then so be it, but take a look at the sentiment that Gary O was expressing.

From a Bradford point of view I can tell you that one of the comforts that the fans have been able to cling to in these last few years is the fact that many of the players on the pitch are our players.  If the club deviated from its declared strategy of building up under Green then I would need to consider my position.

It should come as no surprise that the four clubs that have been most successful since the summer era have been the ones with the strongest investment in their own academies.

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

1. One of the reasons you come in for stick Parky is because you are a serial offender in misinterpretation.  

2.  All systems will lend themselves towards this to a greater or lesser extent, and in my opinion the current system encourages the short term overseas options more.  How can Leigh get promoted with Championship players and a weak academy?  It can't.  So the only way to short cut is to get in NRL players. 

3. That's what they've done, and so long as they are keeping within the cap rules then fair play.  If they want to be the next HKR then so be it, but take a look at the sentiment that Gary O was expressing.

"Personally, I am a Leigh fan who feels that due to the number of Johnny Foreigners in the squad I am losing identity with the club I have supported since 1959"

4. From a Bradford point of view I can tell you that one of the comforts that the fans have been able to cling to in these last few years is the fact that many of the players on the pitch are our players.  If the club deviated from its declared strategy of building up under Green then I would need to consider my position.

5. It should come as no surprise that the four clubs that have been most successful since the summer era have been the ones with the strongest investment in their own academies.

1. A minor reason my good man, 92.4% of the time it's because I've actually had the audacity to look things up and listen to those in the know. That includes you BTW.

2. Yes Leigh have to stock up with NRL players to get promotion because they are the better players available to them. If the championship was part time and thus more of a level playing field then maybe many of the antipodeans would not come over if the cap was back at £300K to make it a fair comp top to bottom. I take your point.

3. I had that sentiment as regards some players at Hunslet coming from north Leeds and Castleford, twas a long time ago now.!!

4. "Our players"? At Bradford they seem to come from London, Hull, Manchester, Castleford, Leeds, Pontefract, Widnes, Ossett and St.Helens etc with an inordinate number from Halifax??

5. I take that point but it's not a matter of just investing in academies and out pop your "own players". The junior game has to have the raw material in the first place or academies can be an expensive waste of time, this is why Hull have doubled up and others may in theory follow. In then end if the academies do not produce better players than what can be ready bought from overseas then clubs have to do that.

I take your point about sentiment but it doesn't seen to resonate with 99% of the games paying customers.

As always good points Parky!

The drop in attendances from being bottom or getting beaten regularly is one of those things that doesn't get enough airings in discussion. How can a team fight on a commercial front against poor on the paddock results?

I think this is where the salary cap comes in.

If you look at the pre-cap, pre-SL days, the monied clubs were up to 12,000 crowds each whilst the rest were on quite a small average gate.

I'd do the figures from my Rothmans books, but I'd get stick for making it up.

Let two clubs go head to head for all the trophies year after year and watch fans start to turn off and clubs go down the pan.

We must stop Mr. Beaumont from his  ability to demand carte blanche increases to the Leigh cap that if they go on unchecked will see Leigh win everything including the World club challenge with a team full of Aussies. 

I think this is where the salary cap comes in.

If you look at the pre-cap, pre-SL days, the monied clubs were up to 12,000 crowds each whilst the rest were on quite a small average gate.

I'd do the figures from my Rothmans books, but I'd get stick for making it up.

Let two clubs go head to head for all the trophies year after year and watch fans start to turn off and clubs go down the pan.

We must stop Mr. Beaumont from his  ability to demand carte blanche increases to the Leigh cap that if they go on unchecked will see Leigh win everything including the World club challenge with a team full of Aussies. 

I tend not to dispute figures to be honest!

I think there was a turn off to the same clubs winning everything but does that equate to a drop everytime or does it depend on how many teams are perceived to be involved? If it's 4 teams vying has that meant a drop, is there a figure at which this becomes true?

I'm not sure of your assessment of Mr Beaumont or the situation at present though I know it's a worry you have when it comes to owners and their clubs. I'm glad of the change at the top generally it's been a breath of fresh air. I do think Leigh have taken a very logical approach to the System with the middle 8's and of course it's the kind of gamble you have to measure in risk and reward terms. I don't see it in quite the dire terms you use.

its quite simple. you have x amount of money to spend on wages.we could sign a young lad from say Whitehaven or Swinton with real potential that will come to the fore in a few years,or we can spend the money on reasonably proven players with experience under their belt who will perform in the here and now.As with everything these days,people want results immediatley and value for their money,so the answer is to sign the more experienced "bigger name" players. If you have the money to go out and buy a jag,why go out and buy a skoda?

Archived