Game of Thrones

Ten episodes per season is definitely not enough to cover such huge story arcs, so each episode can often feel disjointed and a bit all over the place. It's cracking TV though, and the latest episode was immense. The battle was gruesome and I almost felt short of breath during the scene when Jon was being crushed.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like often each episode has a theme throughout that links scenes. Plus I feel like on the TV show if someone says something momentous or foreshadowing the following moments or scene change are highly important.

Everything seems to be coming together for the finale. Danerys now looks to be on her way to Westeros now that she has made that pact with Theon and Asha. Arya will be heading back and now that Ramsey is dead, the story in the North should be about getting ready for the battle with the White Walkers.

I enjoyed the episode but thought the outcome was all a bit easy. John Sneerr and his lot were completely outthought, fell into the trap and were pummelled by Bolton's enormous army. Then some cavalry arrive and the Bolton army just melted away in about two seconds. They completely failed to heed any of Sansa's advice.

The filming was amazing though.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I enjoyed the episode but thought the outcome was all a bit easy. John Sneerr and his lot were completely outthought, fell into the trap and were pummelled by Bolton's enormous army. Then some cavalry arrive and the Bolton army just melted away in about two seconds. They completely failed to heed any of Sansa's advice.

yes, it felt a bit cheesy mainstream for GoT which has its moments but likes its twists.

If there was a chance of this army turning up 20 minutes into the battle to sort it all out why were they so keen to go into battle so soon? They obviously hadnt exhausted every option like John Snow thought, but maybe that was the point.

Id have liked it if it was a John Snow led trap for Bolton, that would have been better than the hollywood timing they went for.

Put against the real-life historical use of cavalry against infantry, heavy horse against infantry not set to receive them only ever goes one way and it goes that way very quickly.  A set infantry line of pike or spearmen could maybe have held its own against the horse charge, albeit at heavy cost, but by facing inwards there was no way to get enough force to oppose them and it'd really be a matter of keeping the momentum up and the infantry would be very quickly routed.

Plenty of real battles were won by the victor getting the enemy to commit their cavalry, beating or tiring it out then having a flanking heavy cavalry force flank the enemy's archers, command forces or even the main infantry.  Often the sight of this caused conscript-heavy forces to rout when they see a large professional force hitting behind them, making it even easier for the cavalry to wipe them out.

There were some real battles, I've been trying but can't remember their names, where two allied forces have done the same as in this battle.  One attacks, gets very nearly devastated only for the ally to conveniently arrive just in time to save them, appearing to be the hero but actually they've timed it just right to appear the hero but really they were waiting until their "ally" had taken serious and almost irrecoverable losses.  Going by the GoT theme, would this really be beyond Littlefinger?  Is Sansa really the good one here, did she let Jon Snow lose most of his forces to take out someone she saw as a future opponent?

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

The battle commenced because Ramsay Bolton let loose Rickon, and after Rickon was killed by Ramsay, Jon charges toward the Bolton army. I think the initial plan was to let Ramsay attack first.

Yes, I was referring to even starting the discussion before they had the numbers, as per Sansa's point. Although not sure why she kept so quiet and then managed to get an army a few hours later...

There were some real battles, I've been trying but can't remember their names, where two allied forces have done the same as in this battle.  One attacks, gets very nearly devastated only for the ally to conveniently arrive just in time to save them, appearing to be the hero but actually they've timed it just right to appear the hero but really they were waiting until their "ally" had taken serious and almost irrecoverable losses.  Going by the GoT theme, would this really be beyond Littlefinger?  Is Sansa really the good one here, did she let Jon Snow lose most of his forces to take out someone she saw as a future opponent?

This is a good point/theory. And you absolutely wouldn't put that past Littlefinger, the most calculated and under-used person in GoT.

She didn't just go and get the Knights of the Vale. She had already requested their attendance in episode 7.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

She didn't just go and get the Knights of the Vale. She had already requested their attendance in episode 7.

remind me what happened and how it changed - its a major issue with the show i have, my memory and attention span cant keep up with all the characters

She sent a letter to Little Finger in episode 7 by Raven. The contents of the letter are actually online..some saddo freeze framed and zoomed etc..

this is part of the transcript

…] to protect me. Now you have a chance to fulfill your promise. […] Knights of the Vale are under your command. Ride north for Winterfell. Lend us your aid and I shall see to it that you are [well/properly] rewarded.

If you remember she refuses to send a Raven to the Blackfish and insists Brienne goes personally to speak to him.

Then later she sends a Raven to Little Finger because she is worried about Snow insisting on meeting Bolton with his smaller army.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

She sent a letter to Little Finger in episode 7 by Raven. The contents of the letter are actually online..some saddo freeze framed and zoomed etc..

this is part of the transcript

…] to protect me. Now you have a chance to fulfill your promise. […] Knights of the Vale are under your command. Ride north for Winterfell. Lend us your aid and I shall see to it that you are [well/properly] rewarded.

If you remember she refuses to send a Raven to the Blackfish and insists Brienne goes personally to speak to him.

Then later she sends a Raven to Little Finger because she is worried about Snow insisting on meeting Bolton with his smaller army.

thanks. I normally spend some time after episodes reading on imdb to fill in for things i cant remember!!!

I watch the episodes twice because its easy to miss things first time around.

Big one tonight!

Do the lands North of the wall announce an independence referendum?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Do the lands North of the wall announce an independence referendum?

No but the problems after Rob Stark was proclaimed King in the North was indicative of the dangers of an unchallenged ideological hegemony :P

No but the problems after Rob Stark was proclaimed King in the North was indicative of the dangers of an unchallenged ideological hegemony :P

Judging by the reports of racist abuse since Friday's result, I'd say the White Wa*kers are already among us.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

We haven't seen Bran for a while so tonight we might get to see another vision. The one that confirms what everyone suspects about Jon Snow.

This scene then a cut to jon snow to end the series would be pretty cool

Some good moments tonight..enjoy

Archived