Brexit the positive thread

Jonny Foreigner is also taking from it. But that wasn't the point I was responding to.

How exactly? He is providing needed labour, paying his taxes to the British government and spending his money with British businesses.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here's a real positive. We could invite Lord Kerr to become the forums honorary president, as he clearly shares the opinion of quite a number on here, eh,lads?  :D  :D  :D

"We native Brits are so bloody stupid that we need injections of intelligence"

http://uk.businessinsider.com/lord-kerr-brexit-government-policy-immigration-eu-article-50-2016-11

They'll still provide that advice but employ Johnny Foreigner to do it.

I doubt the Government will still award them government contracts if they leave the UK though. Deloitte also have a fairly large Risk department that undertakes risk analysis on major government projects (like HS2). So Deloitte can kiss all that goodbye if they leave given there's quite a few other companies who can easily do that work instead.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Positive in the sense that, presumably, the Supreme Court judgement will cover what, if any, legal issues there are with regards to Brexit and the devolved governments:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38027230

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Positive in the sense that, presumably, the Supreme Court judgement will cover what, if any, legal issues there are with regards to Brexit and the devolved governments:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38027230

Nope, the judges aren't and can't rule on this in this case. This ruling only states that the devolved governments have a right to representation at the appeal.

The rights of the devolved parliaments is laid out in the various devolution acts which clearly states which areas they have a say in and which they don't.

The SNP tried to get written into the Referendum Act an allowance that gives them a veto but they were comprehensively outvoted in parliament. The Scottish Parliament & Welsh assembly know they have no legal powers to block A50 being invoked and if the Government lose the appeal then only the MP's from Scotland & Wales will get a vote not the devolved governments.

As the BBC reports, " the Supreme Court confirmed that Scotland's senior law officer, the Lord Advocate, had been invited to address the court on the relevance of points of Scots law. The Counsel General for Wales will make arguments about the importance of parliamentary sovereignty and the rule of law."  Nothing more, nothing less.

Nope, the judges aren't and can't rule on this in this case. This ruling only states that the devolved governments have a right to representation at the appeal.

The rights of the devolved parliaments is laid out in the various devolution acts which clearly states which areas they have a say in and which they don't.

The SNP tried to get written into the Referendum Act an allowance that gives them a veto but they were comprehensively outvoted in parliament. The Scottish Parliament & Welsh assembly know they have no legal powers to block A50 being invoked and if the Government lose the appeal then only the MP's from Scotland & Wales will get a vote not the devolved governments.

I agree with you.  However, May did rather muddy those waters herself:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/15/theresa-may-flies-to-edinburgh-to-tell-scots-that-she-believes-w/

This made a great deal of sense at the time, as it prevented the SNP making hay.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Tom Newton Dunn @tnewtondunn on Twitter:

Intriguing. No10 just floated possibility of extending Article 50 timeline. Presumed Brexit would happen in 2019, but PM has no fixed date.

Is it moving again? Is there a plan?

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Tom Newton Dunn @tnewtondunn on Twitter:

Is it moving again? Is there a plan?

Mooted transitional arrangements before final deal to CBI this AM.

Denied any extension to process to press this PM.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Mooted transitional arrangements before final deal to CBI this AM.

Denied any extension to process to press this PM.

Guide to u-turns

1. Let a rumour get out that you are about to change position.

2. Deny it in a fairly woolly way.

3. Send a more junior Minister out to say that the PM was 'very clear' on the position, and let the journalists weedle out that the clarity - which few picked up upon - actually indicated a change of position.

You can play around with the above, but the important thing is to be very clear that everyone has been very clear at some point in the past and you are being silly by continuing to ask the question. Because it was very clear the last few times someone said it.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Not sure whether this article from The Independent goes in Brexit Positive thread or Brexit Pegative thread, (or if it's intended for the April 1st edition) -

Richard Branson's Virgin to bankroll secret Blairite campaign to stop Brexit.

Richard Branson's Virgin Group is to help bankroll a campaign set up in secret by Tony Blair's former ministers and advisers to derail Brexit, The Independent can reveal.

An email seen by The Independent highlights the scale of backing the group has already secured. It shows the campaign has been months in the planning and claims “substantial progress” has already been made, including the identification of “an excellent potential CEO”. The memo was written by Alan Milburn, who was one of Tony Blair’s closest cabinet allies.

It reveals the group has heavy financial, political and corporate backing .

High-profile MPs including former Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg and Labour MP Chuka Umunna are believed to have had contact with the group, as have celebrities such as Bob Geldof.

Freuds, a leading public relations agency that was founded by Matthew Freud, a close friend of Mr Blair is understood to have been commissioned to manage the strategy and marketing of the campaign.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-news-richard-branson-virgin-group-eu-referendum-a7430396.html

Not sure whether this article from The Independent goes in Brexit Positive thread or Brexit Pegative thread, (or if it's intended for the April 1st edition) -

Richard Branson's Virgin to bankroll secret Blairite campaign to stop Brexit.

Richard Branson's Virgin Group is to help bankroll a campaign set up in secret by Tony Blair's former ministers and advisers to derail Brexit, The Independent can reveal.

An email seen by The Independent highlights the scale of backing the group has already secured. It shows the campaign has been months in the planning and claims “substantial progress” has already been made, including the identification of “an excellent potential CEO”. The memo was written by Alan Milburn, who was one of Tony Blair’s closest cabinet allies.

It reveals the group has heavy financial, political and corporate backing .

High-profile MPs including former Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg and Labour MP Chuka Umunna are believed to have had contact with the group, as have celebrities such as Bob Geldof.

Freuds, a leading public relations agency that was founded by Matthew Freud, a close friend of Mr Blair is understood to have been commissioned to manage the strategy and marketing of the campaign.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-news-richard-branson-virgin-group-eu-referendum-a7430396.html

Ah yes Branson the patriot, who's blocking Brexit for the good of the country. A man who conveniently lives on a private island in the Carribean and pays no British taxes (or virtually none these days), who's company is set up into dozens of subsidiaries who then move their money between themselves and which most then ends up in the tax haven of the British Virgin Islands. When he sold Virgin music the deal was done via the channel islands so he avoided having to pay over £80M in British taxes.

The leaver/remain debate in a nutshell: http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2016/11/21/comment-reader-ft-gone-viral-nails-remainerleaver-brexit-row/

So, this is how the debate reads so far. I kid you not, it’s practically verbatim:

Remainers (left holding the Brexit baby after the Leavers… left) “WTF?”

Leavers “We voted Brexit, now You Remainers need to implement it”

Remainers “But it’s not possible!”

Leavers “The People Have Spoken. Therefore it is possible. You just have to think positively.”

Remainers “And do what exactly?”

Leavers “Come up with a Plan that will leave us all better off outside the EU than in it”

Remainers “But it’s not possible!”

Leavers “Quit with the negative vibes. The People Have Spoken.”

Remainers “But even you don’t know how!”

Leavers “That’s your problem, we’ve done our bit and voted, we’re going to sit here and eat popcorn and watch as you do it.”

Remainers “Shouldn’t you do it?”

Leavers “It’s not up to us to work out the detail, it’s up to you experts.”

Remainers “I thought you’d had enough of experts”

Leavers “Remain experts.”

Remainers “There are no Leave experts”

Leavers “Then you’ll have to do it then. Oh, and by the way, no dragging your feet or complaining about it, because if you do a deal we don’t want, we’ll eat you alive.”

Remainers “But you don’t know what you want!”

Leavers “We want massive economic growth, no migration, free trade with the EU and every other country, on our terms, the revival of British industry, re-open the coal mines, tea and vicars on every village green, some bunting, and maybe restoration of the empire.”

Remainers “You’re delusional.”

Leavers “We’re a delusional majority. DEMOCRACY! So do the thing that isn’t possible, very quickly, and give all Leavers what they want, even though they don’t know what they want, and ignore the 16 million other voters who disagree. They’re tight trouser latte-sipping hipsters who whine all the time, who cares.”

The 52% make their voice heard.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-protests-parliament-london-article-50-eu-referendun-a7434416.html

Presumably Farage will be too busy moving to the states (see today's Times) to lead the 100,000 on the Supreme Court.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-protests-parliament-london-article-50-eu-referendun-a7434416.html

Presumably Farage will be too busy moving to the states (see today's Times) to lead the 100,000 on the Supreme Court.

:D

I saw these lot out and about yesterday.

Us lefty liberals aren't allowed to comment on those good honest folk who vote differently to us though, so I'll just leave it there.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Another of those "not sure where this goes" posts, some will like it so I chose here: Tony Blair: Brexit could be stopped if Britons change their minds

"Too much hostility" - well, at least he has some self-awareness, unlike Nigel Farage.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Positive as it made me chuckle

CyCdDKmWgAAeOaW.jpg

That really is wonderful. 

Not sure where to put this, but as the other posts about Tony Blair on here this will do, though it's not just brexit related: Is this proof that Tony Blair can save us all?

There's been much hand-wringing and disgust - particularly from one-time Labour voters with short memories - at the revelation Blair has folded some of his money-making enterprises, giving £8m to not-for-profit enterprises and re-entering politics to fight against Brexit.

There's been equal disdain from the Tories, but that's because they've long been absolutely terrified of Blair and have no wish to face him over the parliamentary chessboard ever again on the basis they always lost.

Despite what some may tell you, Blair is neither a fool nor an anti-democrat trying to overturn the will of the people. He's a capitalist who's spotted a gap in the market, and finally there is someone with the money and political nous to exploit it who is not Arron Banks.

Archived