Brexit the positive thread

I knew someone would be able to turn good news into bad.

Not at all, just adding the one remaining piece of information from the press release that was left out.

Plus of course, the number claiming the unemployment benefit is an actual figure, were as the employment figure is based on a survey of 40,000 households, so make of that what you will.  Or to quote the BBC article;

The employment figures are based on the Labour Force Survey, in which the ONS speaks to about 40,000 households once every three months.

That is a very large survey, but it still means the figures are not precise.

The ONS is 95% confident that the figure of a 37,000 fall in unemployment is accurate give or take 79,000. That means that the fall in unemployment is not statistically significant.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not at all, just adding the one remaining piece of information from the press release that was left out.

Plus of course, the number claiming the unemployment benefit is an actual figure, were as the employment figure is based on a survey of 40,000 households, so make of that what you will.  Or to quote the BBC article;

That's a welcome clarification. Thanks.

On the BBC News this morning -

UK unemployment fell by 37,000 to 1.6 million in the three months to September, hitting an 11-year low.

The jobless rate fell to 4.8% in the same period.

The number of people in work went up by 49,000 in October, said the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

The number of self-employed people increased by 213,000 to 4.79 million - 15.1% of all people in work.

Average weekly earnings grew by 2.3% in the year to October including bonuses and by 2.4% excluding bonuses.

The Bank of England and several prominent economists had forecast that unemployment was set to rise this quarter amid uncertainty over the Brexit vote.

The self-employed one is the worry for me.  Call-me-Dave promised that he'd do something about low-paid workers being forced into false self-employment so that companies didn't have to pay minimum wage.  Unfortunately, that's no longer a priority for the government.  There's a lot of self-employed cleaners out there these days working for even fewer protections than zero hours countracts.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

The self-employed one is the worry for me. Call-me-Dave promised that he'd do something about low-paid workers being forced into false self-employment so that companies didn't have to pay minimum wage. Unfortunately, that's no longer a priority for the government. There's a lot of self-employed cleaners out there these days working for even fewer protections than zero hours countracts.

It is an important point. Those enemies of the people, the judges, made an important ruling on Uber the other week which should help quite a few people, but not sure if it will go as far as cleaners etc like you mention.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I guess that's what's happened to all those poor unfortunate BHS employees then.

Your sympathy is duly noted.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

The self-employed one is the worry for me.  Call-me-Dave promised that he'd do something about low-paid workers being forced into false self-employment so that companies didn't have to pay minimum wage.  Unfortunately, that's no longer a priority for the government.  There's a lot of self-employed cleaners out there these days working for even fewer protections than zero hours countracts.

Amazon drivers are another example.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Your sympathy is duly noted.

Indeed.  Having endured numerous periods of unemployment myself over the last six years, I have every sympathy with them.

But when someone points out that unemployment has gone up by 9,000 since May, it's useful to note that 11,000 people were made redundant from one failed retail chain alone, a failure which had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the EU referendum vote.  I am quite sure not all those 11,000 will have found jobs.  In addition, a couple of the banks have been making some stonking redundancies: again, nothing to do with the EU referendum.  Somehow though we have managed to absorb these big job losses and still managed to employ hundreds and hundreds more east Europeans on top of a few local folks too.  Not bad for an economy that was supposed to be in crisis the minute we voted to leave the EU.

Indeed.  Having endured numerous periods of unemployment myself over the last six years, I have every sympathy with them.

But when someone points out that unemployment has gone up by 9,000 since May, it's useful to note that 11,000 people were made redundant from one failed retail chain alone, a failure which had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the EU referendum vote.  I am quite sure not all those 11,000 will have found jobs.  In addition, a couple of the banks have been making some stonking redundancies: again, nothing to do with the EU referendum.  Somehow though we have managed to absorb these big job losses and still managed to employ hundreds and hundreds more east Europeans on top of a few local folks too.  Not bad for an economy that was supposed to be in crisis the minute we voted to leave the EU.

That's not how you put it in the post I quoted.

You keep moving your own goalposts.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

That's not how you put it in the post I quoted.

You keep moving your own goalposts.

Indeed, if anything good happens it's immediately attributed to brexit.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

Without meaning to be pedantic, unemployment is down, according to the survey, but "the number of people claiming unemployment benefits in October increased by 9,800, the biggest rise since May, the ONS said."

Whilst I stand to be corrected by better informed members of the forum, I take the 9,800 to be a monthly figure, not one since May.

Just how much worse do things have to get before we do the sensible thing and pull the plug on the whole ridiculous idea? UK faces £100bn Brexit hole in budget

Post this again when these experts get something right.

The great plagues and catastrophes they told us would hit on June 24 havent hit yet.

Indeed the BBC "expert" on the news tonight was quite upbeat on how the economy as a whole is progressing.

Of course you will point out that we havent Brexited yet. So you can carry on with your great soothsayer impresion " Woe, Woe and thrice times woe"

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Following the "leaking" of a fabricated, unauthorised and unsolicited memo earlier this week that turns out to have been a Deloittes invention, their chief exec has just been on TV saying that post Brexit they will move staff abroad.

Reaction? Byeee! Close the door after you...with the key on our side.

Following the "leaking" of a fabricated, unauthorised and unsolicited memo earlier this week that turns out to have been a Deloittes invention, their chief exec has just been on TV saying that post Brexit they will move staff abroad.

Indeed. There are plenty of others to take their place, Ernst and Young, PWC, KPMG.... and so on. :fie:

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

They can ###### off too. Save us all a fortune. The problem is that the EU has outlawed all the really effective insecticides and slug killers.

They hardly offer an unique service so no great loss if they leave. The staff that don't wan to emigrate will just work for the other UK based companies who will probably see their workload increase if Deloitte leave.

Deloitte are one of the companies who offer 'tax advice' - in other words they help rich people move their money out of reach of the tax man, so who gives a s*** if they leave the UK for good.

They can leave, close the door and keep they key if they want - they'll find it firmly bolted from the British side anyway.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Only some of their staff.  I can't say I'm bothered myself.  They can all go; aside from anything else all this threatening stuff is getting as tiresome now as it was before the referendum vote.

Contrast with Seimens, an important employer.  The UK CEO was interviewed on the BBC today.  He's very upbeat about brexit and is working with the government and has joined this new committee thingy which is tasked with giving input into the new industrial strategy being created by the government. 

Spoken with Juergen on a few occasions. A product of Allerton Grange School is Leeds and then Trect Poly, he said this in a recent blog post:

Most of us in business and academia are trying to be positive and find a way forward through this Brexit uncertainty – to best prosper outside of the EU. 

Spoken with Juergen on a few occasions. A product of Allerton Grange School is Leeds and then Trect Poly, he said this in a recent blog post:

Most of us in business and academia are trying to be positive and find a way forward through this Brexit uncertainty – to best prosper outside of the EU.

Glad to see this sort of thing.

However, the underlying story is still one of trying to manage challenges and uncertainties that have been brought about voluntarily which is a unique situation; these things usually come to test us from forces beyond our control.

They hardly offer an unique service so no great loss if they leave. The staff that don't wan to emigrate will just work for the other UK based companies who will probably see their workload increase if Deloitte leave.

Deloitte are one of the companies who offer 'tax advice' - in other words they help rich people move their money out of reach of the tax man, so who gives a s*** if they leave the UK for good.

They can leave, close the door and keep they key if they want - they'll find it firmly bolted from the British side anyway.

They'll still provide that advice but employ Johnny Foreigner to do it.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

They probably do so already. 

But Johny Foreigner is contributing to our economy. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Archived