Bradford Bulls

Monkeymagic22

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

The ground is not owned by Bradford.  The rfl hold the lease. So any new club can play there.

Interesting that the latest statement from The RFL doesn't appear to require a 'new' club to play at Odsal: http://www.rugby-league.com/article/39145/rfl-statement-professional-rugby-league-club-in-bradford

17 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

MC very much in favour of Bradford retaining their Championship status
http://www.featherstonerovers.net/article/51591/campbell-backs-bulls-revival-hopes

Some very good points raised by Mark, probably the best option all round. I never thought of the impact it would have on other League 1 clubs' chances. Also, with Toronto being in the same league there would be no guarantee that Bradford would win promotion next year- we know all about losing Grand Finals by a simple twist of fate when you look certain to win.

One contingency option in case of Bradford failing to resurrect in time for this season might be to ask if any Championship 1 club wants to come up, but with the full £250K Bradford were due to receive, bearing in mind a lot of their players are probably still available. Keighley might be willing as they are close enough to take on an influx of former Bradford players, and they have been pooped on from a great height twice by the RFL, in 2005/6 and recently over their last relegation from the Championship. Another might be to go with 11 clubs, ask Toronto if they want to play Hull KR in the Summer Bash, and take away the points on offer for the one-off games at the Bash, to be replaced by prize money which would come out of the £250K Bradford were due to receive.

I make it at least 8 of last year's Bulls squad that have now signed with SL clubs (Blythe, Welham, Gaskell, Clough, Ferguson, O'Brien, Mellor and Olbison), with the possibility of one or two more, and on top of that two more (Addy and Clark) joined Hull KR at a time when it was probably assumed they would still be in SL too. This probably shows 2 things - firstly, how badly they performed given the talent they apparently had at their disposal, and secondly, how narrow the gap is, if at all, between "fringe" SL players (which most of the above names probably are, and that's being generous in some cases), and quality "Championship players".

Amongst all this, if I remember correctly, the RL threatened to throw York out of the league solely because "they only had provision for 50 persons in the reception lounge area instead of the required eighty".  What an utter shambles. The whole exercise is run like a third world country..

10 minutes ago, saddleworth said:

Amongst all this, if I remember correctly, the RL threatened to throw York out of the league solely because "they only had provision for 50 persons in the reception lounge area instead of the required eighty".  What an utter shambles. The whole exercise is run like a third world country..

They certainly treated York differently. They soon scratched them from the fixture list. However to be honest it is advantageous to keep Bulls were they are having had 12 points stripped from them. Should they continue with their good following it means a good Easter Monday pay day for Fev. It will be difficult for Bradford not to be in the relegation mix at the end of the day. But my interest is with Fev and  the RFL will continue to treat clubs as they see fit and with the lack of consistency that they always have done.

I hope clubs take note of the state Bradford, Sheffield And York got themselves into last season and that  the league bosses create  no new problems financially for their clubs.

I hope clubs take note of the state Bradford, Sheffield And York got themselves into last season and that  the league bosses create  no new problems financially for their clubs.

Sorry about above.

Fair Comment Phil, but we still have no idea as to the size of the pot that the new owners are going to bring to the table at Bradford. Agreed most clubs have now got their squad sorted but may want to unload if the price is right, meaning the playing squad might be tougher than expected. ?Only time will tell.

5 hours ago, Phil Stone said:

That could easily happen to a lot of clubs including Fev, especially if they don't finish in the top 4 this season. Pressure is now on  with Bradford probably out of the picture starting with -12 and not much of a team left. There should be no excuses.

Should be very remote for Fev. With their assets properly handled there should be sufficient additional income to offset any potential crisis. Other clubs may have problems. It is alarming how many so called 'business men' seem to know nothing about cash flow.

Yes the land was there in the past so why wasn't used as an asset to produce income? We are now moving in the right direction with the land being utilised. It must be worth around 15 million quid with planning and with the building that is going on around it planning should be easy. But as I have said many times before retain the asset and lease the land. Then we have an asset that is improving in value and bringing in an income. I cannot see with proper planning how we can be in any danger of liquidation or winding up or any court orders.. The team has to perform with that I agree but again we are back to proper control of cash flow. 

On 14/01/2017 at 9:22 AM, haskey said:

I think the new structure plays its part with the money they have offered as has been said the RFL could really do with filtering more money down but I do accept that teams have to also be awarded for finishing position. But what we had last season was 4 teams teetering on the edge trying to get the golden goose. Well maybe not Sheffield as that was a disaster from start to finish(I notice they only announced their intention to play in the Championship this week, 1 rule for one and all that) but Fax, Fev, and Bradford all ran in to financial difficulties last season trying to make the top 4. Is that what the RFL wants for its teams? Fev made the 4 got the cash and payed the bills, Fax made cuts to staff and players and carry on as before, Bradford sign even more players to try and get back to SL and go pop. Mismanagement in the finest at Bradford but still Im not sure the structure helps.

19 hours ago, jamescolin said:

Should be very remote for Fev. With their assets properly handled there should be sufficient additional income to offset any potential crisis. Other clubs may have problems. It is alarming how many so called 'business men' seem to know nothing about cash flow.

A lot of them know about cash flow because they run successful business where the cash does flow, as soon as they get involved in a rugby league team they find there is no cash flowing and thats where the real good businessmen come to the fore.

20 hours ago, Phil Stone said:

Why would it be remote? Fev have gone into administration in the past with the land still at it's disposal so it could happen again. MC seems to have it under control but getting into that top 4 has to be a big target for the club financially, hence the pressure on the team to perform.

All the best for the future Phil.

Archived