A Song for Roughyeds

Dave Naylor

roughyeds_tune.png

Oldham RLFC would like to adopt a signature tune or song to be played at home games and invite suggestions from fans.  You can submit your ideas on the Roughyeds website.

Castleford Tigers have famously adopted "Sweet Caroline" and their fans sing it with great gusto at the Jungle.  Take a look at this YouTube clip of them in full voice to give you an idea of what the club is hoping to achieve.

Once the club has a collection of song suggestions, the most popular will be listed on the club site and fans will be able to vote for their favourite.

You have until January 20 to submit your songs.  The vote will open shortly afterwards and the club hopes to have the winning entry ready to go in time for the opening Championship game against Sheffield Eagles on February 5.

Great idea Dave! I think Kasabian,s" Underdog" is a stirring anthem and not inappropriate,given our status. However, I would go for Jeff Beck's "Hi Ho Silver Lining"

Off the top of my head,alternative lyrics below - please feel free to tear them to pieces, amend or just ignore them!

You're everywhere and nowhere baby

That's where you're at

Going down the Mottram Road

In your Roughyed hat

Flying to the pie shop

And getting fat

Saying "Can I have more gravy?"

I'll drink to that!

(Rousing chorus!)

And it's Hi Ho Oldham Rugby

Everywhere you go now baby

I feel a win is coming

But I won't make a fuss

'Coz it's obvious

Apologies once more.

2 hours ago, Half man half grapefruit said:

Great idea Dave! I think Kasabian,s" Underdog" is a stirring anthem and not inappropriate,given our status. However, I would go for Jeff Beck's "Hi Ho Silver Lining"

Off the top of my head,alternative lyrics below - please feel free to tear them to pieces, amend or just ignore them!

You're everywhere and nowhere baby

That's where you're at

Going down the Mottram Road

In your Roughyed hat

Flying to the pie shop

And getting fat

Saying "Can I have more gravy?"

I'll drink to that!

(Rousing chorus!)

And it's Hi Ho Oldham Rugby

Everywhere you go now baby

I feel a win is coming

But I won't make a fuss

'Coz it's obvious

Apologies once more.

I think this is perfect

Tony Mac

If you’re going through hell, keep going – Winston Churchill

And now, the end is near; 
And so I face the final curtain.
My friend, I'll say it clear, 
I'll state my case, of which I'm certain.

I've lived a life that's full.
I've traveled each and every highway; 
And more, much more than this, 
I did it my way.

Regrets, I've had a few; 
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption.

I planned each charted course; 
Each careful step along the byway, 
And more, much more than this, 
I did it my way.

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew.
But through it all, when there was doubt, 
I ate it up and spit it out.
I faced it all and I stood tall; 
And did it my way.

I've loved, I've laughed and cried.
I've had my fill; my share of losing.
And now, as tears subside, 
I find it all so amusing.

To think I did all that; 
And may I say - not in a shy way, 
"Oh no, oh no not me, 
I did it my way".

For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught.
To say the things he truly feels; 
And not the words of one who kneels.
The record shows I took the blows -
And did it my way! 

Yes, it was my way.

It had to be done by someone...THE most appropriate SONG for ORLFC is above!

For the new season, to the tune of "People are Strange" by The Doors (great song)

Roughyeds are strange, but you are stranger

You are all ugly, we are all sound

Council don’t like us, we feel unwanted

Nobody loves you when you’ve no ground

So much pain

Every game is away

All to gain

We’ve all been through so much pain

So much pain

So much pain

Back again

(Needs a bit of polish, I'll grant you, but it's a work in progress).

BTW - this is copyright, I expect royalties if this gets sung at the Bower. (Every little helps...) 

Rick Astley: Never goin to give you up, never goin to let you down, never goin to run around and desert you

Never goin to make you cry, never goin to say goodbye, never goin to tell a lie and hurt you.

Ha Ha, maybe CH should do a solo before the game with this.

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

I love the club song idea.

It has great potential as a money-spinner for the Roughyeds.

Here's the cunning plan:-

1. A reality TV programme called something like “A Song for the Roughyeds”.

2. Chris Hamilton makes a formal approach to the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Sky TV etc. inviting them to bid for the TV rights.

3. Gareth Malone – the “Choir Man” or Gary Barlow or Simon Cowell hosts the show.

4. Potential massive audience as members of every sports club on the planet would watch it and think -why didn't we come up with that idea?.

5. We select 20 or 30 hard-core Roughyed fans who can sing. (Can Kev the cabbie sing? If so, he'd be the star of the show! )

6. We invite a few Oldham-born celebrities to join the “choir” to spice it up – the list is endless – Mark Owen of Take That, Professor Brian Cox who had his own Number 1 chart hit with D Ream in 1993, Phillip Schofield, Sarah Lancashire, Paul Scholes, Mike Atherton, Cannon and Ball, David Platt, Christopher Biggins, Kevin Sinfield, Barrie McDermott, Paul, Sculthorpe.

7. There are 10 or so episodes in which the cameras record rehearsals ( at Whitebank or the Oldham Rep.?) of the choir practising a selection of the various songs already suggested via Dave Naylor's website link.

8. We invite Inspiral Carpets and the surviving members of the Oldham Tinkers and Barclay James Harvest to come up with a brand new Roughyed song to compete with the other suggestions,

9. We choose 5 or 6 which work best.

10. We sing them all at a televised game at Bower Fold with the words printed in the matchday programme so that all the fans can join in.

11. The fans vote to select the best 1 ( or maybe 2 or 3 ).

12. Peter Kay records the song(s) with our choir and we reach Number 1 in the singles chart after Nick Grimshaw plugs it on the radio.

13. Attendances at matches go through the roof. and the club's financial worries stabilise.

14. A TV channel starts televising all Oldham and other Championship games.

15. Inspired by all the above, wealthy investors join the board – including Oldham-born and educated Paul S. Walsh, the billionaire ex-chairman of Diageo, the world's biggest drinks company, who wants to put a bit back into the town that made him.

16. Financial worries disappear altogether and we win the Championship and then the Super League next year. (Ok so I'm getting a bit carried away now!)

It's a win-win situation. What have we got to lose by going for it?

I'll wake up from the dream in a minute.

Archived