Clawphin v Mobyclaw: The Next Chapter

TRLers of a particular vintage might be interested to know that the next issue of Rugby League World Magazine will see the resumption of an old and fabled battle for supremacy between Clawphin and Mobyclaw.

Pick your side now.

It's going to get dirty.

You won't want to miss it.

On sale 24th Feb... subscribe now, etc.

Does anyone still bother with Mobyclaw?  My Grandad was a fan and used to take me to the supermarket to buy it, so I have nothing against the dreadful tosh that it is.  I am sure it is still eaten by a few old men in old mining towns, but these days Clawphin is global and popular with all classes in all nations.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

You may think the Lobster Wars are over, but the battle still rages.

Hardly.  Mobyclaw is continually trying to expand and uses gimmicks, but the people have chosen.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Hardly.  Mobyclaw is continually trying to expand and uses gimmicks, but the people have chosen.

Budweiser being one of the world's most successful beer brands shows that mass appeal does not equal quality. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Hands up who wants to explain this to newer members.

Thought not...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Hands up who wants to explain this to newer members.

Thought not...

I just hope TRL choose the right side when it comes to whatever they're planning for Rugby League World. I, for one, think they should stick with safer subjects such as whether to forgive rugby union or a Celebration of Maurice Lindsay issue.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

19 minutes ago, JohnM said:

...as our  Marie said, "let them eat Clawfin" Its the genuine article, just as Budějovický Budvar is the genuine article.

Setting aside the spelling error*, does that mean that you are going to post in multiple threads about how Mobyclaw is a satanic pinko clique that secretly runs the entire forum?

*understandable, given the FACT that nobody cares about the dull, substandard fare available from the "highly overrated" Clawphin.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

16 hours ago, ckn said:

Budweiser being one of the world's most successful beer brands shows that mass appeal does not equal quality. 

Indeed.  I feel sorry for Mobyclaw, a populist snack that nobody likes.  Clawphin has kept subtlety and nuance.

On 2/10/2017 at 5:48 PM, ckn said:

I just hope TRL choose the right side when it comes to whatever they're planning for Rugby League World. I, for one, think they should stick with safer subjects such as whether to forgive rugby union or a Celebration of Maurice Lindsay issue.

We're planning a Star Trek style reboot of the Clawphin v Mobyclaw franchise.

The purists will hate it, but we'll make millions from the sequels and merchandising! ;)

And it'll be a good stepping on point for people who currently have absolutely no idea what this thread is about.

I'm seeing a range of branded RLW materials featuring the legend 'Are You Clawphin or Are You Mobyclaw?' and we'll get Johnny Vegas to do a shouty thing about it for YouTube. I believe he's quite partial to lobster based snackfoods. (He may turn us down after reading the editorial in the next issue, though it's a risk we are prepared to take for journalistic freedom. We've got Maxine Peake on standby just in case).

At the risk of being accused of overselling this in a desperate ploy to flog more issues of the next mag (where you can also win a free trip to Australia to watch England in the World Cup, or hospitality to the Rochdale v Oldham derby in March - and I'm not making either of these things up, folks) I feel I should point out that the Lobster Wars will not be the subject of a dedicated eight-page feature. Rather, they will be gently woven into the fabric of an ongoing tale of RL development in the South Atlantic that will take your breath away, and which we hope will one day be made into a major film, working title: 'Carry On Expanding'.

The Mighty Penguins are also gearing up for a return to action as the adventure continues in future episodes.

If that's not worth a subscription, I don't know what is!

1 hour ago, Shadow said:

Still got my shirt.

Still got mine, can't get in it, but still got it (the shirt that is).

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Mine shrunk in the wash, too! :)

Judging by all the comments I can only presume that they were all faulty - mine has done the same. :P

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/15/2017 at 0:59 PM, John Drake said:

We're planning a Star Trek style reboot of the Clawphin v Mobyclaw franchise.

The purists will hate it, but we'll make millions from the sequels and merchandising! ;)

And it'll be a good stepping on point for people who currently have absolutely no idea what this thread is about.

I'm seeing a range of branded RLW materials featuring the legend 'Are You Clawphin or Are You Mobyclaw?' and we'll get Johnny Vegas to do a shouty thing about it for YouTube. I believe he's quite partial to lobster based snackfoods. (He may turn us down after reading the editorial in the next issue, though it's a risk we are prepared to take for journalistic freedom. We've got Maxine Peake on standby just in case).

At the risk of being accused of overselling this in a desperate ploy to flog more issues of the next mag (where you can also win a free trip to Australia to watch England in the World Cup, or hospitality to the Rochdale v Oldham derby in March - and I'm not making either of these things up, folks) I feel I should point out that the Lobster Wars will not be the subject of a dedicated eight-page feature. Rather, they will be gently woven into the fabric of an ongoing tale of RL development in the South Atlantic that will take your breath away, and which we hope will one day be made into a major film, working title: 'Carry On Expanding'.

The Mighty Penguins are also gearing up for a return to action as the adventure continues in future episodes.

If that's not worth a subscription, I don't know what is!

I can confirm, having had a sneaky peak, that the next exclusive instalment of the South Atlantic Emails due to be published in Rugby League World on 31st March does indeed reference the Mighty Penguins, and also gives some further historical context to the ancient and ongoing battle between Clawphin & Mobyclaw.

Not. to. be. missed.

Really, Mobyclaw is just a version of Clawphin.  That is why Mobyclaw is not officially recognised by the global authorities.

On 16/02/2017 at 8:13 AM, Griff9of13 said:

Judging by all the comments I can only presume that they were all faulty - mine has done the same. :P

Man made fibres all seem to shrink if you don't wear them for a while.

i took a self imposed exile from the forum for about 6 years... it was reading the Clawphin v Mobyclaw parts of the article that made me smile and log back in.... now where were we on the Dolphins growing the Claws and jumping through razor hoops to be "shaved" for public amusement and profit...

Archived